Sturmwind Hi-Scores & Discussion Thread

2D Shooters Invade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Sturmwind Hi-Scores & Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

I just put in my first run of Sturmwind and wow! It's a really great game. The controls are a bit to get used to - there's cycling of power-ups, and there's a button to change shot direction and so on. But this is a very, very impressive game. Especially visually. I'd love to get some high scores and conversation on strategy going as more orders arrive. :D
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Sturmwind Hi-Scores & Discussion Thread

Post by dsheinem »

You got it? When the hell did this ship? I ordered mine back in 2011 :evil:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Mine came from PlayAsia.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:Mine came from PlayAsia.

Is it the CE version? I ordered from Red Spot Games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I got the standard edition. They also carried the version that came with the plush cracken.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

So here's some discussion for you:

The indie DC development/publishing scene has to have about the worst offenders for customer support/updates I've ever seen in gaming. Delays are constant, updates are very rare or never forthcoming, and shit changes without notification all the time. I just read over the redspot Sturmwind FAQ, which is dated from last year and had the info about the delay (info I had to seek out, of course). On a whim I clicked their facebook page and found that a few weeks ago they A) added an upgrade option for the LE to include the kraken and B) offered a shipping upgrade since apparently they are shipping 2nd class with no tracking as the default. I was NEVER notified of any of these options, despite PAYING for the game WELL in advance to support it. So now they've shipped my game 2nd class with no kraken. Wonderful. :evil:

My experience with other DC indie titles - Dux, Dux 2.0, and to a lesser extent the NG DEV games has been just about as bad. WTF is with these folks?

I am sure the game will be fun and I will enjoy it, but now I am mad that if I wanted the "full package" I would have had to stumble across the option by chance. How hard is it to alert their customers with a simple email? Now I just have to hope the game arrives intact and I get to pay additional shipping costs if I want to order the kraken separate :roll: Fuck them.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

You are talking about a plush toy, right?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:So here's some discussion for you:

The indie DC development/publishing scene has to have about the worst offenders for customer support/updates I've ever seen in gaming.

I can't say I totally disagree. And I do think that it requires more work from the consumer than is maybe necessary. Take for example Dux 1.5. Did you know that if you bought Dux you can get 1.5 for free? I only learned that from keeping up with a French DC blog. But on the flip, I contacted Hucast and within a few weeks they sent me a free copy of Dux 1.5. And Sturmwind (and GunLord) were no doubt poorly handled. But from what I've read of Gunlord, and from what I've played of Sturmwind - these are some of the most forward thinking DC indie games ever. I mean, damn, Sturmwind actually has SD card support for saving scors, replays and supposedly for future DLC. So on one hand, yeah a lot of the DC indie dev's are really bad at promoting and properly updating their customers. On the other hand I'm really happy that quality games are still coming for the system all these years later.
shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

dsheinem wrote: Fuck them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I bought my sturmwind from redspot 2 years ago, and shelled out the cash up front because my order contained items that were in stock (a combo special with another shmup). And "they can't split up orders placed" (why not?) So the shelf items aren't in my hands either.

I'll be amazed if I actually get these in my hands soon!

*EDIT* and I also think it's pure crap that I could have gotten the goods SOONER if I didn't pay up front and just ordered from retail once it was finally here. Lovely.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

anyway, I'm looking forward to everyone's impressions when their copies arrive. It's a stunning game. I just finally figured out how to beat the 2nd boss. The 3rd level got me a glimpse of the kracken but I beefed it before I got to the boss battle. I won't bother posting scores until some other dudes get theirs in though.

EDIT: Actually just made it to the octo-boss, and wow. The graphics seriously look as good as 360 shmups. Unreal.