Good shmups for beginner

2D Shooters Invade
CavZee
Next-Gen

Good shmups for beginner

Post by CavZee »

Hi, new to posting on the forum (though I've been lurking for a while). Just wanted to get some suggestions on shmups that would be good for "easing" me into the genre.

Requirements:
*16-32 bit era
*not insanely difficult (challenge is welcome though)
*awesome music

Price isn't really an issue as I'll be emulating. Sorry purists...
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
AppleQueso

Re: Good shmups for beginner

Post by AppleQueso »

DoDonPachi!
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

He said "not insanely difficult", so Cave games are out. I found playing Touhou games to be great practice. They look insane, but the bullets move slowly enough that you can react. I think Imperishable Night is generally considered one of the easier ones.

I also think Radiant Silvergun is a good start. You can crank the lives all the way up to 50 something. This way you're not restarting every two minutes, but you're also not credit feeding indefinitely. Even with 50 lives you won't get far to start, but practice pays off immediately.

Both of these games have awesome music.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Hatta wrote:He said "not insanely difficult", so Cave games are out. I found playing Touhou games to be great practice. They look insane, but the bullets move slowly enough that you can react. I think Imperishable Night is generally considered one of the easier ones.

I also think Radiant Silvergun is a good start. You can crank the lives all the way up to 50 something. This way you're not restarting every two minutes, but you're also not credit feeding indefinitely. Even with 50 lives you won't get far to start, but practice pays off immediately.

Both of these games have awesome music.

Thanks. Definitely wanted to play Radiant Silvergun, just didn't know if it'd be a good place to start. Never heard of the other one, I'll give it a look.
Last edited by CavZee on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Thunder Force V hits pretty much every requirement, especially the last one. It was my very first 1CC way back in the day. Ah, the memories.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

the Parodius series is what I recommend to anyone new to shmups and its available on the snes and saturn, also thunderforce 3 and 4 on the megadrive arn't too punishing.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

+1 for Thunderforce 3 and 5. I haven't played it in ages but I don't remember GigaWing to be too hard either. Sol Divide's a fun one too.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I am terrible at shmups, but I got through Deathsmiles without much difficulty.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Appreciate the fast responses guys. The Thunder Force games have my eye for sure. Anything that fits the bill on PC Engine/Turbo would be great too as I'd love to dive into that library more.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

For PCE the equivalents would be Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder.