AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thread

2D Shooters Invade
mjmjr25

Re: AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thr

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nice score, Donnie.

I thought I was going to take the lead, but apparently not...

1,119,700 - mjmjr25 - 1-8 - Kowful & River - MVS

2 very avoidable deaths, one on stage 1-2, and one on 1-6 (yes, too aggressive in a bonus stage and got clunked by a rock). Feeling like a lot of room for improvement still.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

:lol: I did that too one time.

Good score, Mike.

Damn, playing SWS takes the wind out of your sails after the point craziness of AF 3.

SWS

282,700 - foxhound1022 - 1-6 - Volk - SAT/JP
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

SONIC WINGS 3

1,260,200 - DocHauser - 1-8 - Kowful & River - MAME

Got to the big eye thingy (I think that's its scientific name) on Mars, which I guess is the final boss? In which case, I feel a clear coming on :)

Also, the 2nd place score on that pic was potentially a lot bigger, as I think I only made it to 1-7 in that run. I ended the first stage with something like 294k, though I can't seem to score that high every time, even though it seems like I'm doing things the same way...
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nice score, Doc. My high for 1-1 is 237K, but most runs are right around 200K.

I know what i'm doing this weekend :mrgreen:

I popped back in AF2 on the hopes my "good play" on AF3 would translate over...no such luck, still ending every run in the 320-350 range. Frustrating because I hit 1-4 in good shape, and then I die - have no power, and die trying to get the powerups, but those enemies are coming so darn fast, I just am terrible at recovering on 1-4, die 3-4 times. I think I need to switch up characters maybe.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Fresh scores! Let me just say after playing through all of them again today, I am very glad to see the AF series make it onto here. If this was SoTM, it would be a great month for sure. I was in the zone today like nothing else, on all the games. I even got to try AF Limited, and whatever control issues I had previously all seemed to go away. The entire series is a good one to practice dodging bullets on, there are a lot of tight formations and it's always satisfying to make it through, which helps for playing more modern shmups.

With these scores, I'm sure you all noticed some of the dialogue as you advance through the stages, so I'll include some here with my updates. (in my opinion, nothing beats "I'd never thought I'd be frying over a jungle"~Spanky)

Aero Fighters
ExedExes - 388,200 - Villiam - 1-6 - MAME

ImageImage
His wide shot is very useful for bosses, and the bombs aren't bad.

Aero Fighters 2
ExedExes - 689,400 - Cindy & Ellen - 1-8 - MAME

ImageImage
You know that feeling when you choose the character perfect for you? I felt it here on this run.

Aero Fighters 3
ExedExes - 1,138,100 - Cindy & Ellen - 1-7 - MAME

ImageImage
I read up on how to max out the Stage 1 & 3 points, and it helped greatly. What also helps is even when your max power up gets lost after a time not getting another P with C&E, the ship is still powerful at that point for bosses, even though it's a single shot.

Aero Fighters Limited
ExedExes - 312,100 - Volk - 1-3 - MAME
ImageImage
First play through, but I like his helicopter, which tilts and shoots to the left and right as you move it in those directions. I thought it was gonna be tough with many more bullets, but I had no problem. I also waited to pick up the medals for more points.

Great series! Just right for me and my play style. But now I've perused the newest AF3 scores and see that I still have a lot of work to do here to keep up with the rest of you. This is turning out to be a killer thread.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Good stuff, E.E.; You're killing my AF2 score. I'm gonna try and put some time into that and SWS over the weekend.
jepjepjep
24-bit

Post by jepjepjep »

Nice scores on Aero Fighters 3 guys!
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Well, I went from just short of the top spot...to barely hanging on to the top 5 for AF3...in 3 hours.

Is SWLimited the only that benefits from leaving the medals as long as you can? I'm not noticing anything like that in SW2/3 or Special...
jepjepjep
24-bit

Post by jepjepjep »

mjmjr25 wrote:Well, I went from just short of the top spot...to barely hanging on to the top 5 for AF3...in 3 hours.

Is SWLimited the only that benefits from leaving the medals as long as you can? I'm not noticing anything like that in SW2/3 or Special...

In SW2/3 the medals give the most points when you pick them up at the top of the screen.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Apparently there are secret characters in SW3, but the codes are a bit fiddly and I haven't been able to get them to work yet. Don't know if anyone else will have more luck...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/564192-a ... s-3/cheats