beatDodge - my bullet pattern prototype

2D Shooters Invade
XYX

beatDodge - my bullet pattern prototype

Post by XYX »

Image Image
Please test it here http://www.spacedcat.co.uk/RUSHmupPatternTest00/index.html

Hi guys, I've done a quick prototype for a game im working on (the main parts of the game are finished, i prototyped this to avoid messing up the actual project)

It's an audio responsive shmup, this prototype is just the bet detection and enemy bullet patterns, along with pressing Z for your slowmo ability (this lets you graze shots in the final game for your special weapon/powered up shots)

All the graphics are just primitives in this, id like feedback on the difficulty and how you think it responds to the audio

A quick note, the sensitivity is calculated based on the maximum volume, everytime a new song is selected the maximum volume is reset. When you play the first time its obviously 0, and so more sensitive to the beats, but the more you retry the same song, the better idea of the volume it has (until its reached the loudest part) SOME songs, do go mental at the start, so bear with it, leave it a while after you die then retry

It does start in fullscreen at the moment, and esc quits right away

Any feedback would be great thank you guy ;)
http://www.spacedcat.co.uk/RUSHmupPatte ... index.html

R - Plays the default song / retrys last song
O - Select your own track
Arrows - Move
Z - Slowmo
(when not playing +/- increases level)

If the outline of a shot is red, its safe to hit because theyll die (this was keeping the shot count down at higher levels but im looking at it in the next update)

Things that will be in the next update:
New shot types:
Level 2+ -Pattern Animation (shots will fade to white then change direction)
Level 3+ -On beat shots will move horizontally or vertically with a trail
Level 4+ -Certain shots will burst into smaller patterns on the next beat
Level 5 -Shots will home in on player

Level 5 may also spawn multiple patterns with a delay offset to make denser patterns

Fixes:
The shot lifespan will be removed or tweaked to stop them disappearing
The pattern cap will be removed or tweaked
You'll be able to set a player name and generate a player icon
(depending on the fps hit) Ill add in some player stats, like average distances, time played etc, but this might wait until i setup a MySQL database and a more secure way of submitting the player data