Page 13 of 14

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm
by o.pwuaioc
fastbilly1 wrote:I recently discovered a homebrew vert that was inspired by Recca, called Blade Buster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ara4M_6EB4

It apparently runs just as fast on a cart. Itll be in one of my Homebrew purchases in the future.

And mine as well. Looks like a bit of Star Soldier in there, too, but much nicer looking.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm
by pakopako
Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:12 pm
by ExedExes
c0wb0y wrote:I did manage to play XEXYZ for a while. It was pretty humbling as I couldn't ever get past the first level to the ship in the 2nd level. I did get really close, but gravity took over and I fell in the last pit. Must practice.

You mean Xexyz or XEXEZ? Xexyz has shmup levels, but is also a platformer. Xexez is the shmup.

EDIT: Xexez is on our list. Did Xexez even get a Famicom port? My sources all say Arcade/PSP only????? Xexyz is not a true shmup!

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm
by c0wb0y
ExedExes wrote:
c0wb0y wrote:I did manage to play XEXYZ for a while. It was pretty humbling as I couldn't ever get past the first level to the ship in the 2nd level. I did get really close, but gravity took over and I fell in the last pit. Must practice.

You mean Xexyz or XEXEZ? Xexyz has shmup levels, but is also a platformer. Xexez is the shmup.

EDIT: Xexez is on our list. Did Xexez even get a Famicom port? My sources all say Arcade/PSP only????? Xexyz is not a true shmup!

Hmmm... did I get the wrong game? I Google Xexez and don't get any relevant hits. If I search "Xexez game" it shows results for "Xexyz game"
It's making me cross-eyed.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm
by Gunstar Green
pakopako wrote:Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.


Dragon Spirit is fairly well known, at least the arcade iteration. But yeah, like many ports the NES version is it's own thing and kind of under-appreciated.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm
by DocHauser
c0wb0y wrote:
ExedExes wrote:
c0wb0y wrote:I did manage to play XEXYZ for a while. It was pretty humbling as I couldn't ever get past the first level to the ship in the 2nd level. I did get really close, but gravity took over and I fell in the last pit. Must practice.

You mean Xexyz or XEXEZ? Xexyz has shmup levels, but is also a platformer. Xexez is the shmup.

EDIT: Xexez is on our list. Did Xexez even get a Famicom port? My sources all say Arcade/PSP only????? Xexyz is not a true shmup!

Hmmm... did I get the wrong game? I Google Xexez and don't get any relevant hits. If I search "Xexez game" it shows results for "Xexyz game"
It's making me cross-eyed.


The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 am
by ExedExes
DocHauser wrote:The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.

That's how the list had it spelled. Too much "XEX" for me. At any rate, Xexex nor Xexyz should be on this list.

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 am
by DocHauser
ExedExes wrote:
DocHauser wrote:The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.

That's how the list had it spelled. Too much "XEX" for me. At any rate, Xexex nor Xexyz should be on this list.


The list says 'Xexez' not 'Xexex'! I guess it is confusing...

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 am
by fastbilly1
Gunstar Green wrote:
pakopako wrote:Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.


Dragon Spirit is fairly well known, at least the arcade iteration. But yeah, like many ports the NES version is it's own thing and kind of under-appreciated.

That, or they were too undiscovered for the writer...

Honestly, I always play Dragon Spirit on the PCE/TG16, and often forget its on the NES (even though I own it).

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 am
by Hobie-wan
Air Fortress
Airwolf
Argus
B-Wings
Baltron
BreakThru
Cobra Command
Dezaemon
Exerion
Falsion
Formation Z
Galactic Crusader
Gall Force: Eternal Story
Geimos
Gyrodine
Halley Wars
Insector X
The Last Starfighter
Super Star Force
Super Xevious
Uchuu Keibitai SDF

If counting pseudo 3D:
3D World Runner
Afterburner
Cabal
Cosmic Epsilon
Mig 29 Soviet Fighter
Sky Destroyer
Space Harrier
Tetrastar the Fighter