Let's talk about NES shmups!!!

2D Shooters Invade
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Let's talk about NES shmups

Post by o.pwuaioc »

fastbilly1 wrote:I recently discovered a homebrew vert that was inspired by Recca, called Blade Buster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ara4M_6EB4

It apparently runs just as fast on a cart. Itll be in one of my Homebrew purchases in the future.

And mine as well. Looks like a bit of Star Soldier in there, too, but much nicer looking.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

c0wb0y wrote:I did manage to play XEXYZ for a while. It was pretty humbling as I couldn't ever get past the first level to the ship in the 2nd level. I did get really close, but gravity took over and I fell in the last pit. Must practice.

You mean Xexyz or XEXEZ? Xexyz has shmup levels, but is also a platformer. Xexez is the shmup.

EDIT: Xexez is on our list. Did Xexez even get a Famicom port? My sources all say Arcade/PSP only????? Xexyz is not a true shmup!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
c0wb0y
24-bit

Post by c0wb0y »

ExedExes wrote:
c0wb0y wrote:I did manage to play XEXYZ for a while. It was pretty humbling as I couldn't ever get past the first level to the ship in the 2nd level. I did get really close, but gravity took over and I fell in the last pit. Must practice.

You mean Xexyz or XEXEZ? Xexyz has shmup levels, but is also a platformer. Xexez is the shmup.

EDIT: Xexez is on our list. Did Xexez even get a Famicom port? My sources all say Arcade/PSP only????? Xexyz is not a true shmup!

Hmmm... did I get the wrong game? I Google Xexez and don't get any relevant hits. If I search "Xexez game" it shows results for "Xexyz game"
It's making me cross-eyed.
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

pakopako wrote:Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.

Dragon Spirit is fairly well known, at least the arcade iteration. But yeah, like many ports the NES version is it's own thing and kind of under-appreciated.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

c0wb0y wrote:
ExedExes wrote:

Hmmm... did I get the wrong game? I Google Xexez and don't get any relevant hits. If I search "Xexez game" it shows results for "Xexyz game"
It's making me cross-eyed.

The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

DocHauser wrote:The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.

That's how the list had it spelled. Too much "XEX" for me. At any rate, Xexex nor Xexyz should be on this list.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

ExedExes wrote:
DocHauser wrote:The arcade game is spelled 'Xexex'. The PSP version is the only port available.

That's how the list had it spelled. Too much "XEX" for me. At any rate, Xexex nor Xexyz should be on this list.

The list says 'Xexez' not 'Xexex'! I guess it is confusing...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
pakopako wrote:Surprised to see Dragon Spirit and AD&D Dragon Strike didn't make it to the Undiscovered Shmups list on the frontpage.

Dragon Spirit is fairly well known, at least the arcade iteration. But yeah, like many ports the NES version is it's own thing and kind of under-appreciated.

That, or they were too undiscovered for the writer...

Honestly, I always play Dragon Spirit on the PCE/TG16, and often forget its on the NES (even though I own it).
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Air Fortress
Airwolf
Argus
B-Wings
Baltron
BreakThru
Cobra Command
Dezaemon