Contra is back

2D Shooters Invade
Nexus-X
8-bit

Re: Contra is back

Post by Nexus-X »

Yes, LRG appears to have exclusive distribution rights in the US unfortunately. The game is getting a general retail release in Europe and it will be available around the end of April. LRG says September for theirs. Amazon should ship to the US at least: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-Contra- ... 7ZLHH?th=1

There is one caveat. The Switch version of the EU release is a code in a box. However if you want the PS5 or Series X versions, they still appear to be a physical disc. This is a great option for anyone who doesn’t want to wait 7 or 8 months for the base version from LRG (likely a year + for any special editions; action figure production, from LRG, YIKES).

This is also probably a good time to remind everyone again DO NOT ORDER THE SWITCH OR PS4 VERSIONS OF THIS GAME without knowing what you are getting into or at least seeing how the final release runs on those consoles. As of now the Switch and PS4 versions are almost unplayable, capped at 30fps with lots of input lag (https://x.com/noodalls/status/1761545785370722473?s=20).
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Nexus-X wrote:I think Contra Hard Corps had a 1 hit death option in Japan on hard difficulty, but I might be misremembering. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 hit deaths were imposed on the western release to inflate the difficulty so that people couldn’t beat the game in a single rental, as was a popular tactic back then. Streets of Rage 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2 come to mind as examples.

This is why I find it hilarious when people say that games should be hard like the old days because they understood how games should be designed back then. Games being hard back then were just business decisions, like how arcade games were hard in order to get as many quarters out of you as possible. It wasn't some idealistic nonsense about how games "should be designed". In fact, the increase in difficulty of the western version of Streets of Rage 3 is one of the reasons it's viewed as the black sheep of the franchise.

This is why I see no reason for games to be obnoxiously designed now. So I love it that they put in a health bar in Galuga. Were it up to me there wouldn't even BE a 1-hit kill option, but whatever, gotta celebrate the small victories. I'm just glad games are gradually getting more accessible and moving away from the hardcore crap that only appeals to little kids with tons of free time to master a game by playing it 24/7. The new Prince of Persia game, Sea of Stars, and other games are pushing for accessibility. Frankly, I don't know how you explain characters in Contra not wearing body armor at this point, or how the Probotector robots die in one hit when they are robots like the Terminator. John Wick can even survive a few bullets as we've seen in his movies. Hell, he's got magical suits that ABSORB bullets now.

Nexus-X wrote:I think

I adore this demo. I’ve put about 8 hours into it and everything just feels right. Even the mobile graphics have grown on me.

I hate the term "mobile graphics" personally. An art style is an art style, but I digress.

Nexus-X wrote:Yes, LRG appears to have exclusive distribution rights in the US unfortunately. The game is getting a general retail release in Europe and it will be available around the end of April. LRG says September for theirs. Amazon should ship to the US at least: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-Contra- ... 7ZLHH?th=1

There is one caveat. The Switch version of the EU release is a code in a box. However if you want the PS5 or Series X versions, they still appear to be a physical disc. This is a great option for anyone who doesn’t want to wait 7 or 8 months for the base version from LRG (likely a year + for any special editions; action figure production, from LRG, YIKES).

This is also probably a good time to remind everyone again DO NOT ORDER THE SWITCH OR PS4 VERSIONS OF THIS GAME without knowing what you are getting into or at least seeing how the final release runs on those consoles. As of now the Switch and PS4 versions are almost unplayable, capped at 30fps with lots of input lag (https://x.com/noodalls/status/1761545785370722473?s=20).

I won't pick this up if they don't fix the Switch version, it's the only system I care about these days and there's no excuse for a retro game like this to not run properly. This reminds me of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night all over again. A lot of these limited print companies are losing their appeal when the game just gets released elsewhere, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. That code in a box crap though :roll:

Like, why even waste the plastic to create a box in the first place for a stupid code? Are people so dumb they can't just pay for a code and download it off the internet? We have to make a little plastic box for them :roll:
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

I’ve seen collectors do some weird things. Like printing out labels for digital only games and putting them in empty cases so they can line them up on a shelf with their other physical games.

I’m also glad that games are more accessible today than ever. I feel like developers should still strive to challenge the player when appropriate. Too often it seems older genres fall victim to focus group overtesting and concerns that players will miss hidden content. With budgets inflating there’s this obsession with making sure no one misses anything. They can’t afford to allow a group of players to miss something that cost development time because it was too difficult to reach.

I understand your sentiment regarding the Switch and I have a feeling the performance issues on that platform are going to affect Operation Galuga a great deal. I’ve seen other claims that people are going to skip it entirely because it runs horribly on Switch. These are individuals who have a PS5 and/or PC. They just won’t even consider purchasing the game (and others) unless it’s on Switch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

WayForward either needs to stop using Unity or learn how to use it properly. There's no reason this game should perform poorly on PS4 and Switch.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

I don’t know what’s going on with them. This will probably end up like River City Girls 2. That game launched on all platforms with a 30fps cap and it had some performance issues. I think those issues even made it into the physical copies. Some time later it was patched up at 60fps on most platforms and the performance issues were ironed out.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:WayForward either needs to stop using Unity or learn how to use it properly. There's no reason this game should perform poorly on PS4 and Switch.

Guarantee they're developing for PC first, quick and easy (easier) x86 architecture ports to PS & XB. Optimization time not put in for Nvidia X1 SoC that's now 7 years old. Business decision on time input to return on money, not lack of skill.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

Jagosaurus wrote:Business decision on time input to return on money, not lack of skill.

And yet, due to the style of the game, it will probably sell more on Switch than any other platform. Possibly more than the other platforms combined (not counting long tail Humble Bundles).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

marurun wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Business decision on time input to return on money, not lack of skill.

And yet, due to the style of the game, it will probably sell more on Switch than any other platform. Possibly more than the other platforms combined (not counting long tail Humble Bundles).

Exactly bud ... you just proved my point. Will still sell very well there without the additional man hours to optimize.

People hunting the "premium" experience will go to PC, XB, PS ecosystems.

The truth is, a large chunk (majority?) of people playing on Switch don't notice those details like us ... or would trade off to play on an easily accessible handheld.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5