Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%
Pop'n TwinBee
Aero Fighters

Parodius 1
Firepower 2000
Super R-Type
Thunder Spirits/TF3
Darius Twin
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

Re: Good Shmups for the SNES

by marurun Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Ugh, I hate all the Darius games on SNES. Weak soundtracks, slow-firing weapons, and not enough enemy action on-screen. It’s like someone decided Darius was too exciting and needed to be more boring.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am

marurun wrote:Ugh, I hate all the Darius games on SNES. Weak soundtracks, slow-firing weapons, and not enough enemy action on-screen. It’s like someone decided Darius was too exciting and needed to be more boring.

Isn’t that pretty much every Darius game, though? Darius Burst is pretty good, but I’ve found the series, as a whole, to be relatively slow-paced.
marurun

by marurun Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
marurun wrote:Ugh, I hate all the Darius games on SNES. Weak soundtracks, slow-firing weapons, and not enough enemy action on-screen. It’s like someone decided Darius was too exciting and needed to be more boring.

Isn’t that pretty much every Darius game, though? Darius Burst is pretty good, but I’ve found the series, as a whole, to be relatively slow-paced.

The screen tends to scroll slowly, but the enemies can be fast and the ship can also fire quite quickly. Darius can become a hectic game in relatively short order. But the SNES installments tend to really make the game feel even slower.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Shmups