Brawlers and Beatemups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

What do you think of Final Fight?

by Erik_Twice Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Final Fight intrigues me, people's opinions on it are all over the place! Most people regard it as the inferior progenitor of Capcom's best titles yet some big genre fans regard it as one of the pinnacles of the genre. And people don't even agree if it's fair or well balanced, I've seen as many people claim it's a quarter muncher as I've seen praising its design. And people on those groups don't even agree with other people on those groups, some think it's broken from stage one because you can get ganged up, while others think the problem is the lack of health pickups on Stage 5.

So what do you think of it? What do you think makes it a good or bad game?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What do you think of Final Fight?

by noiseredux Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:15 pm

I might think much higher of it had I not played Streets Of Rage first.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:18 pm

I think it's an early beat 'em up, not perfect and a bit rough around the edge but certainly not terrible. Whenever I play, I definitely prefer using Guy over Cody and Hagar, though I have beaten it with them too. Yes, it throws a lot of enemies at you, and yes, it is sometimes easy to get overwhelmed. But I don't find it to be particularly problematic because many beat 'em ups do this at some point, and it has taught me to be better at grouping enemies.

Really, the biggest problem with Final Fight is that it gets compared to beat 'em ups which came out after it and built on its formula. Noise mentioned Streets of Rage, and I'd say that's a great example: we're comparing the 1989 pioneer of the genre to a 1991 title that figured out its best qualities.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:45 pm

My experience with it is as a SNES port, which most people crap all over since a level is left out, there's no Guy and there's no multiplayer. I still absolutely love it though, it has the best sound of any beat-em-up I've ever played. Beating someone with the pipe so great, that deep THWACK sound is perfect.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:50 pm

SNESdrunk wrote:My experience with it is as a SNES port, which most people crap all over since a level is left out, there's no Guy and there's no multiplayer. I still absolutely love it though, it has the best sound of any beat-em-up I've ever played. Beating someone with the pipe so great, that deep THWACK sound is perfect.

I just wish Guy had made it in. That really is my biggest complaint about it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:54 pm

I think Final Fight is awesome, and I love it.

I also think that Final Fight is better in almost every way than any game in the Streets of Rage series.

Final Fight is not quite as good as Double Dragon, however.

(In other words, I tend to think that beat 'em ups generally got worse over time.)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:55 pm

The original Final Fight was one of the first of its kind to do what it did, so it's classic. Looking at it now though, it's pretty mediocre. Though nostalgia glasses can easily make you forget that. The Streets of Rage series would end up outclassing the FF series, though imitation is the highest form of flattery. And eventually other beat 'em ups would greatly outclass the SOR series. Though since most gamers have never played most of the great games within the beat 'em up genre, you still hear many uneducated gamers call SOR 2 the greatest beat 'em up ever made, which always makes me roll my eyes.

That's a pretty quick tell that you know nothing about beat 'em ups.

Final Fight 3 is actually the best one in the series, and still holds up fairly well now. Though Streets of Rage 2 and 3 are still better. And there are a ton of other games in the genre that are FAR better than any FF or SOR game

The soundtracks in SOR 1 and 2 though are still some of the best gaming music of all time

That's my two cents
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(In other words, I tend to think that beat 'em ups generally got worse over time.)

Oh dude, you should check out stuff like The Combatribes and see if that gels for you instead.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Ack wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:(In other words, I tend to think that beat 'em ups generally got worse over time.)

Oh dude, you should check out stuff like The Combatribes and see if that gels for you instead.

I actually kinf of like The Combatribes. It isn't as good as Final Fight or Double Dragon, however, and it can't touch Kung Fu Master.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:05 am

I'm in the camp that respects and enjoys Final Fight but also think it was bettered not long after it came onto the scene by SOR which was a bit slicker, a bit edgier and generally more accessible.

That said Final Fight is the cornerstone that Capcom used to go on and make some really excellent arcade stuff like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Armored Warriors and Battle Circuit so its influence is much greater than SOR's ever was.
Return to Fighters