Street Fighter V Announced. PS4 and PC Exclusive.

Brawlers and Beatemups
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter V Announced. PS4 and PC Exclusive.

Post by bmoc »

Niode wrote:Ignoring the fact that you have to shell out £300 for an extra system to play games I can get right now on PC. A cable from your PC to your living room TV is the least of your concerns. I have a 10m HDMI cable I paid £15 for. With Steam streaming, buying a low power media PC (such as the ones from Intel for less than £100) would be the preferred solution.

Agreed on both points. However, if I were to ask my wife if I could run a 30ft HDMI cable across the bedroom, it would most certainly be a guaranteed "no". Its just not an option for some people. While I'm playing devil's advocate, I'd also argue that Steam streaming is only good for the power user. The average user (and maybe young children), can barely handle running one PC, much less two while ensuring that the proper network requirements are met. And speaking of networks, some college residential networks would not allow that kind of traffic.

Anecdotal evidence time! A few years ago, I went to a co-worker's house to help with something tech related. While I was there, I noticed that the kids were playing on a PS3. I also noticed that the screen was really fuzzy. I asked if they were using an HDMI cable to connect it to their HDTV and I was met with blank stares from the entire household. They just used the composite cable that came with it and had been playing in 480i mode for years. They had no clue what an HDMI cable was. There are lots of people out there like this and Steam streaming is simply beyond them.

marurun wrote:But how is latency? I could see the streaming aspect killing responsive fighting game controls.

As a fighting game enthusiast, that had occurred to me as well. My gut feeling tells me that, at best, it would probably be playable but not conducive to practicing for a tournament. But then again, I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure. If I get SFV on PC then I will certainly give it a go. Right now, all my fighting games are on consoles.
Last edited by bmoc on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Followup to Steam streaming fighting games. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jwOggtgR5o

This is nearly a year old and when it was in beta but there are a few frames of lag. So for now I stand by my initial reaction.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:
noiseredux wrote:yeah I used extra parts to build a streaming box. It has no GPU. I paid only for a mobo and case. SteamOS is free.

But how is latency? I could see the streaming aspect killing responsive fighting game controls.

it really depends on various factors - your home network being the most important. Plus, SteamOS is still in beta. But I was just mentioning my own cheap alternative to building a proper 2nd gaming PC for my TV. Is it perfect? Nope, not yet. But it works.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you're a hardcore fighting fan then you're going to get it on the PS4 and use a wired controller. It's like the hardcore flight sim people with their home cockpits.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:If you're a hardcore fighting fan then you're going to get it on the PS4 and use a wired controller.

I'm gonna get it on my gaming PC with wired internet and use a wired controller. So I guess I'm middle-core?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:If you're a hardcore fighting fan then you're going to get it on the PS4 and use a wired controller. It's like the hardcore flight sim people with their home cockpits.

I use my PC, because the internet is directly connected. My consoles use the wireless network and could cause higher latency!

...that's right... I'm cool....

8)
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:If you're a hardcore fighting fan then you're going to get it on the PS4 and use a wired controller.

I'm gonna get it on my gaming PC with wired internet and use a wired controller. So I guess I'm middle-core?

Middle core. You aren't planning on going to tournaments which are always on consoles.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

Niode wrote:Ono-San has stated that he approached Capcom but they didn't give him enough money/man-power so he was approached by Sony. I'd say that Sony threw him some cash to make it PS4 console exclusive. It'll most likely be timed exclusive like Rise of the Tomb Raider is on Xbone.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/06/playstation-4-will-be-only-console-street-fighter-5-ever-appears-its-built-ground-ps4-notable-quotes-sony-presser/

---------

Now to talk about the gameplay demo. Right now im kinda meh about the direction of the artstyle and the gameplay. It's still early and we need more info but right now im not impressed with what i saw.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Aramonde wrote:Now to talk about the gameplay demo. Right now im kinda meh about the direction of the artstyle and the gameplay. It's still early and we need more info but right now im not impressed with what i saw.

visually, it looks like SF4 but... more polished? I'm not sure the word I'm looking for, but the character models look more, like, "solid" or something? At any rate, I'm definitely excited. I watched some gameplay and there's a 'revenge' gauge that is separate from the usual special gauge. And also it looks like diff characters have different length special gauges as well, which is maybe going towards balance somehow? Oh, and they've teased that Charlie will be a playable character.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

noiseredux wrote: I'm not sure the word I'm looking for, but the character models look more, more tesselated

Fixed that for you :)
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys