Brawlers and Beatemups
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

The PC gaming Guide to Fighting Games (Sans Emulators)

by GigaPepsiMan Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Recently I've decided I'm pretty much done with buying new systems because PC gaming is now at that point where as a platform it should be able to provide PC owners with everything they will ever need (can you name a platform more open than PC?).
However this isn't the case, there are still a lot of games that have not made the jump to PC (though emulators do exist to fix this).

So lets look at the options we currently do have on PC, ignoring Emulators like MAME we are currently left with these games when it comes down to what can be played on modern PC systems.

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (also available: Street Fighter IV)
Get it on: Steam, Games for Windows (Retail)
Not much to be said about Street Fighter IV really, PC version is more or less perfect besides it being on Games for Windows Live.

Skullgirls
Get it on: Steam
Got this but haven't played it yet - report to come.

Mortal kombat: komplete Edition
Get it on: Steam, Disc Retail
Don't play Mortal Kombat so I can't tell you the hard facts other than it being fairly popular.

Injustice: Gods Amoung Us Ultimate Edition
Get it on: Steam, Disc Retail
Again, haven't played. Ask someone else.

King of Fighters XIII: Steam Edition
King of Fighters XIII was already a very good game and it more or less made the transition to PC perfectly (besides some netcode issues if word of mouth is to be believed). KOF13 is an exercise in modernizing a classic and it does it pretty well, a very good 2D fighter that shows SNK can still produce when it matters.

Street Fighter X Tekken
Get it on: Steam, Games for Windows (retail)
Basically Street Fighter 4 but with Tekken characters and a customization system.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Get it on: Games for Windows (retail)
I've heard the developers weren't happy with this port of Blazblue. The game does have bugs that will probably never be fixed but they are incredibly minor ones (like character sprite colours going negative for 2 seconds). Only way to play this is by buying a disc version, no stream or GOG for this, maybe in the future.
BlazBlue itself is a solid fighting game, I heard the sequels blow it away so shame they will never be ported to PC.

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Get it on: GOG.com, Disc Retail
If you are planning on buying fighting games on PC this is the first thing you should buy. An amazingly fun and frantic fighting game that takes heavy inspiration from Rock and Heavy Metal. As a port it is more or less perfect, it looks great on PC and the gameplay is fine turned and balanced out to the point where people debate Guilty Gear X2 #Reload to be the best version of the Guilty Gear XX updates.

Guilty Gear Isuka
Get it on: GOG.com, Disc Retail
If you were to sugar coat it you could call Guilty Gear Isuka an interesting experiment that didn't work as well as planned, the 4 player fighting mechanics were an interesting idea but they all fell apart for one reason that couldn't be worked around, you have to press a button to chage the direction your character is facing. If you can work around this flaw then you can find a lot of original content in Isuka.

DiveKick
DIVEKICK! That is all.
Not really, DiveKick is an independently made fighting game that is played with just two buttons, one to drive and the other to kick. It's gained quite the following.

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Get it on: GOG.com
I haven't played this version but judging by what I've read this version, while playable is completely obsolete, only buy if you really want to play it on PC but refuse to emulate.

That's it for now, there are other more obscure fighting games on PC but I'll do them tomorrow. I'll add links to where you can buy the game too.
cha cha
128-bit

Re: The PC gaming Guide to Fighting Games (Sans Emulators)

by cha cha Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 am

More Bikini Karate Babes and Dong Dong Never Die, less mainstream...

kplzthxbai.

:lol:

Seriously though, if you are gonna delve into "obscure" fighters on PC, you are gonna need a lot of pages to list them all with a graphic. How far back are you going in PC FG history?

(also I can delete this post if you forgot to reserve a bunch of subsequent posts for your list expansion. Just lmk) :shock:
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:32 am

You're forgetting a major detail about each game - does it have online play? To me, that's the most important feature of a fighting game now. For instance, I don't believe any of the GOG games have online (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll buy them right away).

Steam also has Mortal Kombat Kollection (online?) and Eternal Champions (no online)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Nice list!

Any thoughts about the original Street Fighter or Metal & Lace: The Battle of the Robo Babes? :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Any thoughts about the original Street Fighter

the DOS version SF looks like this:

so... yeah.

Not sure if there's a Windows version that was closer to the arcade game? I know Capcom did release some sort of arcade collection along w/ a fightstick at one point. That was perhaps basically a MAME collection?
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 pm

There was a floppy disk version shown in this pic (I have one CiB but am not home)

It is after all- "The baddest brawl of them all!"
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 pm

@ Bone: yeah the Windows version of SF1 is basically just MAME'd:

In 2003 SF was released for PCs as part of "Capcom Arcade Hits - Volume 1".

http://www.blamethecontrolpad.com/stree ... ighter.htm
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 pm

sooookay.

Melty Blood
Melty Blood ReACT
Melty Blood: Actress Again

-Tsukihime characters maim each other and have a story mode too. Cool game, awesome soundtrack. Translated to English by Mirrormoon.

-

Valkyrie Fight Tag

Completely inscrutable fangame based on Valkyrie Profile. No one knows how to play it, but it's really fast and great fun to play with friends.

-

Yatagarasu

Fighter by ex-SNK guys. A quality game that focuses on defense just as much as offense. There's more than one way to block. Be a meathead or a Japanese schoolgirl with a sword.

-

Acceleration of Suguri X

Takes "air dashing" to a fascinating extreme. Fight in a magic circle in the sky, firing energy blasts at a distance and using swords up close. It's an easy-to-learn but super aggressive game of angles and timing.

-

Well, that's all I got.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Interplay published Samurai Shodown 2 and Fatal Fury 3 for Windows 95/98 way back when as value releases. Trying my Samurai Shodown 2 copy, it seems to start in 8.1, but has issues and is not playable (may be a way to get it to be, but as it is I think the game is running extremely fast, among other quirks). Possibly emulation, but it has redbook audio so I'm not sure they would have used that if it were just a ROM.

In any case, both are are available on Amazon for about the $10 they'd have gone for on the jewel case racks at Wal Mart or whatnot, or there seems to be a double pack that's only a few bucks.

Far as I know, there is no big box version of them, just value oriented jewel cases.
Return to Fighters