Brawlers and Beatemups
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced port

by Gamerforlife Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

From neogaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 751&page=2

Apparently, not only is it getting a physical release and a collector's edition, but it's being ported by the guys who originally worked on the game for an arcade perfect port. AND it has bonus features

- They're adding a new easiest setting in the difficulty selection which starts players with full item/magic stock, a dragon shield, and the ability to open chests without keys. The game also retains all the arcade difficulty settings and there's a super hardcore setting for pro players.

- There's New Game+ function now. Instead of getting a Game Over after completing the game, players can use their characters to start new games while retaining their levels and stats. You can also choose higher difficulty levels in these subsequent playthroughs.

- Stages you have completed can be replayed with a chapter select option, where you can pick which part of the stage you want to start from. There are also boss strategy videos to help players who have problems beating the bosses.

- Bonus content includes tons of artwork and original design materials from the development of the arcade games, introduction videos for the various classes, and video interviews with the original developers of the arcade games.

I believe these are the same guys involved in Dragon's Crown. If so, they rock.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
flex wood
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by flex wood Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Any idea how import friendly the game is? I guess the game isn't technically text heavy but it would be nice to know what my options are when I'm choosing what level I want to go to next.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38131
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by noiseredux Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:51 pm

90's arcade beat-em-up? Very import friendly, I'd say.
Image
User avatar
flex wood
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by flex wood Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

noiseredux wrote:90's arcade beat-em-up? Very import friendly, I'd say.

But the choose your path through the game similar to Guardian Heroes would kind of suck without knowing where you're going. I'm just wondering if the game might have langue options yo. I have been holding off on downloading the game until I know if I could just import it and be able to figure things out.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38131
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by noiseredux Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

flex wood wrote:
noiseredux wrote:90's arcade beat-em-up? Very import friendly, I'd say.

But the choose your path through the game similar to Guardian Heroes would kind of suck without knowing where you're going. I'm just wondering if the game might have langue options yo. I have been holding off on downloading the game until I know if I could just import it and be able to figure things out.


I was planning on getting the physical either way. I can say that the JPN Darkstalkers disc is all English in-game. I'm betting it's the same deal.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by Gamerforlife Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Here's a link to Capcom's Japanese site. If you have google translate you can kind of see the various new features I mentioned. I say kind of because google translate is like having someone who studied Japanese for one month translating for you

http://www.capcom.co.jp/DandD/new_system/option2.html
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
flex wood
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by flex wood Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:35 pm

noiseredux wrote:
flex wood wrote:
noiseredux wrote:90's arcade beat-em-up? Very import friendly, I'd say.

But the choose your path through the game similar to Guardian Heroes would kind of suck without knowing where you're going. I'm just wondering if the game might have langue options yo. I have been holding off on downloading the game until I know if I could just import it and be able to figure things out.


I was planning on getting the physical either way. I can say that the JPN Darkstalkers disc is all English in-game. I'm betting it's the same deal.

Dark Stalkers was originally in all English though. Maybe someone that actually knows how to use mame could run the Japanese version of the game and find out if the stage changes prompts are in English. I'm guessing that would probably be faster then me waiting for you to get your copy and letting me know if it is or not.

Edit or you know I could've just read the linked thread and found out that it most likely won't have English.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23125
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by dsheinem Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:47 pm

other than being on a disc and having some physical goodies, is there any difference from the digital release? That has selectable chapters, difficulties, art galleries, etc. as well...
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by Gamerforlife Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:01 pm

dsheinem wrote:other than being on a disc and having some physical goodies, is there any difference from the digital release? That has selectable chapters, difficulties, art galleries, etc. as well...


I haven't gotten around to playing the digital releases so far, but I've gathered some info from around the net. Some people have said that the digital releases are not completely faithful to the arcade versions for various reason (like certain things being cut). The disc version will be worked on by the people who worked on the original arcade releases. Also, I would assume that the digital versions don't have new game plus, new difficulty settings and developer commentary. The new version will also let all players use the same characters and apparently there are options for changing their colors. For me personally, the new game plus is the biggest addition, especially with the harder difficulty settings.

I've heard those guys are involved with Dragon's Crown too, which actually makes me even more interested in that game. It's sort of the spiritual successor to the D&D games.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23125
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: D&D Chronicles of Mystara JP disc version an enhanced po

by dsheinem Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
dsheinem wrote:other than being on a disc and having some physical goodies, is there any difference from the digital release? That has selectable chapters, difficulties, art galleries, etc. as well...


I haven't gotten around to playing the digital releases so far, but I've gathered some info from around the net. Some people have said that the digital releases are not completely faithful to the arcade versions for various reason (like certain things being cut). The disc version will be worked on by the people who worked on the original arcade releases. Also, I would assume that the digital versions don't have new game plus, new difficulty settings and developer commentary. The new version will also let all players use the same characters and apparently there are options for changing their colors. For me personally, the new game plus is the biggest addition, especially with the harder difficulty settings.


-No commentary on the digital version (which will likely be in Japanese anyway)
-Character color changes exist in the digital version, as do difficulty settings
-I don't remember seeing a new game+

I'd think stuff like NG+ and any other gameplay changes can/will be patched in to the game. I'd just be really shocked if the disc release featured additional gameplay or gameplay options over the digital release. Commentary, physical goods, etc. Sure. New code? That can and should be patched in. Calling it an "enhanced port" seems disingenuous.
Return to Fighters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests