Soulcalibur 2 HD Online coming this fall

Brawlers and Beatemups
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: Soulcalibur 2 HD Online coming this fall

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I agree with the air juggling complaints and the stupid bunny outfit.

For me, I prefer the faster pacing, Cassandra, and the eccentric movelist with a lot of options in every position.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Put me in the Soul Calibur on Dreamcast crowd. That's HD enough for me.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:I agree with the air juggling complaints and the stupid bunny outfit.

For me, I prefer the faster pacing, Cassandra, and the eccentric movelist with a lot of options in every position.

Yeah, as whole Soul II's engine seemed to favor Rushdown play (which is fine by me considering in main Maxi), but it sorta takes away from its roots. Walls were simply a deterant from keeping victims from getting air juggled out of the ring :lol:
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Juggling is more important in SCII, but it doesn't ruin the whole game or anything. Most launchers are really easy to see coming, and you maintain control of your body when you're in the air. It's no more annoying than the wakeup harassment you get in the original ;)

This game will look great in HD. I hope they add a little more animation this time around. Hopefully you won't be able to count the points of articulation on the women's hair :lol:
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:Juggling is more important in SCII, but it doesn't ruin the whole game or anything. Most launchers are really easy to see coming, and you maintain control of your body when you're in the air. It's no more annoying than the wakeup harassment you get in the original ;)

This game will look great in HD. I hope they add a little more animation this time around. Hopefully you won't be able to count the points of articulation on the women's hair :lol:

I never said it did. Juggles are fine and dandy but its no where near as a "harassment" as an "oki" wakeup game. Overall I just didn't find the overall pace of the game very engaging (that's just me tho).
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

This release seems kind of pointless to me. The Xbox version already ran at 720P in Widescreen and the game is on the Xbox 360 backward compatibility list. I would have rather seen a re-release of the Soul Calibur III with the arcade version fixes included and running in HD since we only received a PS2 version that was not HD. The PS2 version of the game was kind of a mess and definitely would have benefited from a re-release.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Purkeynator wrote:This release seems kind of pointless to me. The Xbox version already ran at 720P in Widescreen and the game is on the Xbox 360 backward compatibility list. I would have rather seen a re-release of the Soul Calibur III with the arcade version fixes included and running in HD since we only received a PS2 version that was not HD. The PS2 version of the game was kind of a mess and definitely would have benefited from a re-release.

Online Play
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'd give it another go in HD/online for less than $10, but this series just doesn't do it for me.

Well, Soul Edge was ok, I guess.
KoLAddict
24-bit

Post by KoLAddict »

I can't believe they couldn't get Spawn licensed again for it. I mean, Heihachi was definitely the weakest of the 3 exclusive characters (and obviously they wouldn't be able to get Link). I'll still pick it up when it's cheap, but I'll still prefer playing SC2 on the GC for Link, or X-Box for Spawn. Heihachi was horrible.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

The general consensus is that Heihachi was the strongest of the bonus characters. I can definitely see not liking him, but he's not weak. You just need a very specific type of play style, which involves lots of long combos and quick angel steps - or whatever they call his.

There's no single agreed-upon tier list, but most of them look like this:
Ivy
Yoshimitsu
Xianghua

High
Astaroth
Berserker
Sophitia
Taki
Cervantaes
Heihachi
Cassandra

Mid
Necrid
Nightmare
Mistsurugi
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Voldo

Low
Seung Mina
Talim
Assassin
Spawn

Bottom
Link
Yunsung

I agree with most of this, but the worst tier in SCII is just "less awesome." Seung Mina is one of my favorites, and her only really bad matchup IMO is Ivy. I'm not sure about Yoshimitsu being that good.

I do agree with Link being on the bottom. He's got no major weaknesses, but really lacks an advantage to press. I wouldn't count his ring-out throws, since he lacks the momentum needed to get someone to the edge. I've only played as him once, but I've played against him plenty...