Deadpool

Brawlers and Beatemups
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Deadpool

Post by Gamerforlife »

TEKTORO wrote:Some Suda influence huh, Ill have to keep an eye out for the $20 mark. Any advantages between systems?

Most sites don't seem to really cover console differences anymore out of pure laziness. Even Lens of Truth and Digital Foundry don't cover a lot of the newer games that come out. I'm playing on the 360, because it's an Unreal Engine game and they usually run the best on the 360. As far as I can tell it runs great. Also, and this is something that I notice most gamers don't even really think about, but a lot of PS3 games don't let you copy your save data(Lollipop Chainsaw and D&D Chronicles of Mystara for example). For that reason, I sometimes would rather have the 360 version of a game.
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I had to post this. It's a very minor spoiler if you're concerned about that. It's been my favorite part of the game so far. Classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7bSwQ2mt8
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Plus 360 lets you use a 360 controller :D
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

noiseredux wrote:Plus 360 lets you use a 360 controller :D

LOL. Well, that's all I really needed to say of course. Yeah, the game probably is fine on either console

Anyway, I'm up to chapter 6 and I've been having a solid time. The combo system is fun. It's the same one as the Batman games, but the potential for racking up huge combos is much greater and the rewards can be much, much larger. A 100 hit combo can net you a HUGE point payout to spend on upgrades. Plus, you can shoot and kill people, which gives you an outlet for getting combos that you just don't have in the Batman games. I was in an epic battle where a certain, bad ass, pulse cannon wielding X-Man was killing dudes left and right, while I was providing cover fire from an elevated vantage point, with Deadpool spouting out one liners and laughing maniacally as I riddled guys full of lead, and my partner making taunts like, "Hah! I got that one Deadpool!" I finished that battle with an over 100 hit combo, got a TON of upgrade points, and felt like a boss. Though my partner nearly broke my combo a few times by stealing my kills. Grumble, grumble.

6 chapters in and I still can't shake that Suda 51 feel, though it feels more like a Suda homage than something he actually created himself. As someone who finished Lollipop Chainsaw and played through most of Shadows of the Damned, I see a lot of familiar stuff in Deadpool that you could mark off on a Suda 51 checklist. Retro gaming homage? Check. Bizarre characters? Check. Large use of sex for humor and T&A? Check. Bizarre load screen? Check. Lots of crazy, WTF moments? Check. Poking fun at gaming tropes? Check. Certainly does seem like a Suda game

I've abused the checkpoint restart feature a few times to repeat some of the large scale battles to grind out upgrade points with big combos. So Deadpool feels a bit less underpowered now, which has made the game a bit more fun for me. The pulse cannon weapon I purchased and upgraded is badass. It can literally blow some guys up with one shot and the sound of each blast is...well, to quote Deadpool himself, "Pew,pew,pew"

Countering a group of enemies with this thing is a thing of beauty. A neat little nuance of the game is that a successful counter will make a little musical sound, kind of like what you hear when comboing an enemy in a Zelda game. It creates a nice sort of "rhythm" when a group of enemies surrounds you and you're hitting the counter button repeatedly as the little counter icon pops up over each guys head. The visual pay off is awesome too as Deadpool drops to the ground, points his two pulse guns at a guy and blows them away with each counter, only to then counter the boss who just charged at him by jumping up on his back and stunning him. Yet another high point for me in the game.

The game still has its annoying elements though, like fights in small spaces where the camera zooms in on you making it impossible to see all your enemies, or how flimsy and clunky the gun targeting system can be, or the just annoying way some areas of the game are designed(like some lame platform sections). Deadpool is a game that doesn't feel completely polished. It has its fair share of rough edges, not to mention the occasional bug or glitch. However, the 5s and 6s I've seen from some reviewers are completely unreasonable. A 7 is the lowest score you could give this game. Anything below that cannot be justified in any way, shape or form and kills your credibility as a reviewer.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

This game doesn't go out on a high note unfortunately. I'm playing through the final stage right now and it's complete and utter garbage. It's your basic, uninspired, uncreative, lame, throw every single enemy in the game at the players in endless waves level.

It's just a long, boring, repetitive, annoying, slog to play through. And it's nicely punctuated by some cheap boss fights.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: