Brawlers and Beatemups
Hurezeanu

Street Fighter II Impossibly Difficult?

by Hurezeanu Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:54 pm

I guess this title will grab the attention of quite a few people....

(New poster here, I enjoy the website and the articles very much, so I figured I might as well post some of my queries to a few like-minded people).

Now let me explain, I haven't played Street Fighter 2 in a very long time, its been years since I've touched any Street Fighter game for that matter. But recently, I found the Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2, and saw that Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo was on it. I was never familiar with Super Turbo but I picked it up thinking that I could warm up and get back in the game...

Even on the easiest difficulty, I find Super Turbo to be incredibly difficult, computer characters are able to dish out death faster than a machine gun, Cammy's crescent kicks and Sagat's tiger uppercuts come in never ending barrages and completely destroy me, Ryu throws over 20 Hadokens within the first minute of fighting and Ken Shoryukens me every time I even make an attempt to jump. I play as ChunLi, and I used to remember being able to get through the hardest difficulty on the SNES no problem.... now I have a hard time on the easiest difficulty.

Discouraged for a while, I found the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection and decided to pick it up so I can get into 3rd Strike. I tried out the Street Fighter II game on it anyway to see if it was any different, now that I had kind of gotten used to ChunLi's Super Turbo moves, I went with that.... Once again I got my ass handed to me. The computers are all masters of blocking and countering, and know my every move before I even make em.... I have no chance!

I've heard some people complain about the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game, saying it's incredibly difficult as well, but I was wondering if anybody else with either of these 2 games find Street Fighter II to be impossibly difficult? In fact, are all the newest incarnations of SFII (post year 2000) crazy difficult? Or have I gotten so rusty that Cammy on the easiest difficulty is able to obliterate me?

I was also wondering how the Street Fighter Collection on PlayStation/Saturn released back in the late 90's is, as its said to be a "near arcade perfect" port of Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Espio 1919
24-bit

by Espio 1919 Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 am

This is a pretty common question I am finding on numerous sites and here's the story behind the AI...
Super Street Fighter II Turbo's AI, to put it simply, can read the inputs on the gamepad/arcade buttons that the player makes. So basically this gives the AI the ability to respond very quickly to your attacks and use an appropriate counter attack, and it doesn't matter what difficulty they are set to. Only Super Turbo has this quirk, all of the other SFII iterations are completely fine, and oddly enough the Jpn. versions of all Super Turbo ports don't have this type of AI. There are some other fighters that also do this, notably Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, but I'm finding in UMK3 that the AI tends go stupid at times (like stand there and basically give you a free shot).
Hurezeanu

by Hurezeanu Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:44 am

I remember my buddies playing Super Turbo in the arcades and not getting destroyed at all strangely...
Sorry for repeating myself, but how is the Super Turbo iteration on the Street Fighter Collection, is it as difficult as the Capcom Collection and Anniversary versions?
After looking at other sites, I have found that many people judge the SNES incarnations of SFII as being broken and far too easy.
I guess this question is up for debate, but what is the best SFII recent (or non recent) console incarnation? Namely one that has a balanced difficulty!
Yackom
32-bit

by Yackom Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:28 am

wusses

Sorry guys I had to say it..
Hurezeanu

by Hurezeanu Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:53 am

Yackom wrote:wusses

Thanks... But no thanks...

Could you instead give me your opinion and thoughts on the newer versions of Super SFII Turbo VS the old SNES/Genesis versions? or how they compare to the arcade versions? (like I said, there was no way any arcade incarnation of SF had AI this good). Have you tried the Street Fighter Collection(s) for PlayStation/Saturn?

Again, all help is largely appreciated.
Espio 1919
24-bit

by Espio 1919 Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 pm

From what I have read the PSX/Saturn SF Collection ports are pretty faithful to the arcade version. The best available port right now would be the Sega Dreamcast version (Jpn. only) of the game, which was used as a blueprint for HD Remix. It was recently found that the port found on CCC vol. 2 has lag input problems, which pretty much ruins the game from a competitive standpoint.
Oraichu
16-bit

by Oraichu Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Most old school games are puneshing hard... and I like it. ;)
Consoles:
Atari 2600, Atari Lynx, Neo Geo AES, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Sega Master System, -Megadrive, -CD, -Saturn, -Dreamcast, -GameGear.
RyanDG
8-bit

by RyanDG Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Hurezeanu wrote:
Yackom wrote:wusses

Thanks... But no thanks...

Could you instead give me your opinion and thoughts on the newer versions of Super SFII Turbo VS the old SNES/Genesis versions? or how they compare to the arcade versions? (like I said, there was no way any arcade incarnation of SF had AI this good). Have you tried the Street Fighter Collection(s) for PlayStation/Saturn?

Again, all help is largely appreciated.

The release of Super Turbo in CCC2 and Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary Edition on the PS2/Xbox are both really faithful to the arcade releases when it comes to their difficulty. Part of the reason you may find it so different from the original arcade game in difficulty may be due to the fact that the arcade operator in your area may have set the difficulty lower than the default cabinet difficulty. I would recommend knocking down the difficulty for a brief time while you get used to the transition and then push it back up as you begin to learn how to account for the AI.
RyanDG
8-bit

by RyanDG Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Espio 1919 wrote:From what I have read the PSX/Saturn SF Collection ports are pretty faithful to the arcade version. The best available port right now would be the Sega Dreamcast version (Jpn. only) of the game, which was used as a blueprint for HD Remix. It was recently found that the port found on CCC vol. 2 has lag input problems, which pretty much ruins the game from a competitive standpoint.

Yeah - I've seen that over on Shoryuken. I think they were saying it has a 3 or 4 frame delay compared to the arcade version. That really screws things up a bit for players who are used to the arcade.
cdvries

by cdvries Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:28 pm

All Street Fighter games are not that hard. I think SF2 on the SNES is way to easy even on level 7 I am having no problem beating the game without losing one single round. even when intoxicated.
I even tried to win the game while standing on my head :-) no success here sorry.

Super Street fighter 2 (new challengers) and turbo is better but still to easy in my opinion. I have beaten the game several times on the hardest level and speed without using continue. This game is the hardest game of the series. All Street Fighter games after that are just to easy to beat.

I've been a little SF addict but I've grown over it :-)

I am no expert gamer but have you ever tried to play Silver Surfer on the NES. then you know what a hard game is like.
Return to Fighters