Soul Calibur V

Brawlers and Beatemups
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Soul Calibur V

Post by the7k »

CD AGES wrote:Lol! True about 3S but IDK if the same can be said for MvC2! Game had its crowd from the get go and never really lost its steam (at least from my experince in Cali).

I honestly lost interest in the Soul seires after 2. Series felt like it kept goin down hill from there.

A lot of folks wrote off MvC2 as being nothing but a button masher with no real skill and nothing but random luck deciding the victor. Wasn't until years later that people realized there was a lot of depth behind the game.
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

Post by TheyCallMeTheSwede »

I have been playing the Soul games since Soul Edge, I played the PS1 port and loved it, I have played SoCal 1 and 2, I pretty much skipped the 3rd game (but I played it at least 4 months ago, I'm pretty much glad I missed out), I played the 4th game, I remember not liking the game all that much but it did grow on me as time go by, I am quiet disappointed with the new one, but I am sure it will have the same effect as it did with the previous game.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Well like said, from where I stood, that def was not the case at all. The mere fact the game was capcom's most successful coin op at the time and the mere fact that they themselves made XB/PS2 ports some 2-3 years after its run on DC speaks volumes for the interest there was for the game. 3S, Def... MvC2, not so much.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

OK - it's been over a week now since the game's release. I'm still playing the game and I'm still enjoying it; happily sinking in close to 20 hours well after the fact that I've completed story mode and I'm just now aiming to 1,000 this game's gamescore. Seriously, say what you want about achievements in games, but they are the reason to keep Single-Player-minded gamers around for the long haul in SCV.. However, I'm actually enjoying playing Online again.. I enjoyed it in SCIV, (when I could find matches..) and now that this game's netcode is improved, it's easier to find matchups and earn experience against good other Soul Calibur players..
the7k, I'll hand it to ya - if it weren't for your adament defense of the game's multiplayer and sheer conviction about it's intrinsic worth, I may not have bothered. But now, I'm glad I gave it more of a chance, since it really is set up to entertain players as more than just "Wait, choose fighter, wait, fight, wait, repeat.." Lobbies in the Coliseo are a nice touch, ranked match leveling is difficult, yet progress-able, and I've only encountered two out matches out of 100+ so far that lagged with a 1-connection. It's a really nice system.... This really might be the best Soul Calibur yet....

..except that Namco went ahead and broke it's own damn game. Boy, did they screw things up. And I honestly never would have known if I didn't see it first-hand while playing multiplayer.

Why, in the name of everything Namco has done with this series, have they completely and utterly fucked up the priority system in this game? Since when do large oafs like Astaroth and Nightmare have more priority of attacks over faster, shorter range fighters like Maxi and Raphael??
(Quick example - I've been playing the Soul series ever since it was released on the PSX as Soul Blade in the 90's, and I've been an avid player since. As a real-life fencer, I was ecstatic when in II, they represented my style with Raphael. He's been my go-to character ever since. Raphael is NOT easy to master by any stretch. If you spam vertical B's all day, you're going to be KO'd and perfected instantly.. But what he lacks in power he makes up for in speed. He's one of the better mid-range characters, and probably the best poker in the series, period. So why the HELL, does Astaroth's horizontal A cancel out Raph's lightning fast Forward-B,B,B dash, without fail?? In ever game since II, that's NEVER happened!)
That's just one example among many I could think of to illustrate how ass-backwards the priority in this game is.
Another HUGE complaint: Nightmare.
Nightmare should be freakin' BANNED from any Ranked or Tourny games because it's an instant win for any button-masher or noob who wants an easy win. Seriously, people - it's not even fair. "Oh, it's not bad at all - you just have to dodge, cancel guard and out poke Nightmare and he's a cinch!" Except that Namco made that impossible by giving Nightmare the highest priority award in the game, and allows his massive swords hit-detection to span literally 1/2 of the freakin' screen!! Oh, and while they were at it, they decided he needed a hefty speed boost as well, because now he's a god-damned Olympic sprinter! That, is complete BULLSHIT! It's like if Capcom went ahead and said: "You know, Zangief is kind of slow? Let's give him rocket-powered roller skates. Oh, and that spinning clothesline? Let's up the range on it, because otherwise nobody will ever get close enough to him to get hit. We wouldn't want that."

Finally, and not least of all, my biggest complaint of Soul Calibur V - the freakin' Guard Breaks. Fuck you, Namco - seriously! I can't tell you how many times I play online and some E-ranked newb decides to pick (quess who??) and immediately spams vertical B and the occasional F,F,B. Well, I can't side-step it because the reach is too wide, and trying to out slash or poke him is out of the question because the priority isn't in anyone else's favor. All I can do is block and await an opening. Except that before an opening happens to finally land a hit, a blue-and-green cloud of Fuck-You happens, signaling that my guard has shattered for turtling and he gets, (what else?) a free series of combos to effectively Perfect my ass. What. The. Hell?? A freakin' Guard Break? Are you serious? You know, I get that in a game like this, there might be ways to exploit the block and just turtle one's way to victory - but when your opponent does nothing but spam one freaking attack button and exploit the games shoddy priority system and hit-detection, what can you possibly do in defense? It's as if Namco decided to penalize players for being defensive in a god-damned sword-fighting game!!! This is why Guilty Gear and BlazBlue have those combo-breaking bursts that you can use once a match for just such an occassion of relentless ass-kicking. WHICH is what this game should have had instead of their piss-poor excuse for a guard cancel, (which, by the way, doesn't ever work because the other player will just do it right back and continue their assault..) Seriously, Namco should have implemented a Guard Burst for such cheesey combos.

But Wait - They...Did?? That's right. They actually thought about this scenario and actually gave one character the ability to burst out a red bubble/mist/aura like thingy, (ala Smash Bros,) to deflect and cancel an opponent's combo. Thank God!! I'm picking that fighter - who is it??

....Astaroth.

So, that's my rant, ladies and gents. I'm sorry if it offends anybody, and I apologize for the length, but I just had to vent my frustration with this game.
As soon as I get my 1000 gamerscore, I might play it a little bit more online with friends, but ultimately, I don't see myself putting much more stock into this one. Somebody mentioned earlier here something about this being the end of the Soul series if sales don't do well. I seriously doubt this will be it for the series, as both the Soul games and Tekken are Namco's milk and butter. It'll be a while, for sure, but they'll release another game. And when they do, I pray to the PacMan gods that they either completely rebuild the gameplay and ruleset, or at least go back to Soul Calibur II's system. That one seemed to please the most people as the most balanced in the series. But as it stands, barring any patches Namco will probably not release for this game, Soul Calibur V ranks as one of the most unbalanced fighters I have ever played. And that sucks, because I really had high hopes for this game.... :(

(ok, 7k, let me have it! :lol: )
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I feel similar things about Nightmare and Astaroth - but at the same time, I've yet to see a character who hasn't impressed me with some crazy ass shit.

Well, except for ZWEI, but I see tons of potential from him. He looks like ass right now, but I highly anticipate that he'll be the C.Viper of this game - shit-tier in the beginning, winning Top 8 EVO matches by the end.

In the same way, I feel like Nightmare and Astaroth will be to SCV what Iceman was to MvC2 - dominating people to an unfair degree in the beginning, but by the end they become low tier because so much technology is discovered that makes them a thing of the past.

My biggest problems with Nightmare and Astaroth is really just that their moves leave you in enormous amounts of guard stun. The easiest way to overcome this would be to work on my Just Guard techniques, but I'm too busy training for KOFXIII tournies. I'll get to it eventually, though.

In short - yes, I feel your pain, but I also feel this is pain that won't last forever. The game hasn't even been out for a month yet, the metagame is bound to change.
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

Post by TheyCallMeTheSwede »

One more thing, the one of the new character that really started to grow on me is Viola, I hated the character at first but once I actually know how to control her, she actually ends of being a good character to play, especially if you know how to control her crystal ball, but I do see some players may abuse one of her moves.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Found out how to unlock everything in the game.

1.) Get controller with Turbo function.
2.) Bind 'B' (Vertical Strike) to the confirm button.
3.) Go to Quick Match and find an E-ranked player - preferably using a style that doesn't do a lot of damage, like Patroklos, ZWEI, Viola, Leixia, etc.
4.) Pick Pyrrha.
5.) Put something heavy on the confirm button and activate Turbo.
6.) Leave on for a long time.

Come back after many hours, and you'll be at max level - or at least a high enough level that you'll have unlocked all the characters.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

I'm doing pretty well with Leixia so far.. Also learning Maxi, Nightmare, Natsu(lol to troll), Hilde and maybe Xiba... Maxi is a beast online btw..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

TheyCallMeTheSwede wrote:One more thing, the one of the new character that really started to grow on me is Viola, I hated the character at first but once I actually know how to control her, she actually ends of being a good character to play, especially if you know how to control her crystal ball, but I do see some players may abuse one of her moves.

As a Leixia player.. Decent Violas annoy me especially if they rush me down..
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

I should put up some of my CASup although some are NSFW lol... Got Fox McCloud Xiba which is hilarious...