Retro Gaming on Android

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Gaming on Android

Post by noiseredux »

Capcom has added Commando, Ghosts N Goblins, and 1942 to their Android portfolio.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:Capcom has added Commando, Ghosts N Goblins, and 1942 to their Android portfolio.

Do any of these support controllers? I don't even want to imagine Ghost N Goblins with a touch screen :shock:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jagosaurus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Capcom has added Commando, Ghosts N Goblins, and 1942 to their Android portfolio.

Do any of these support controllers? I don't even want to imagine Ghost N Goblins with a touch screen :shock:

oddly, there's no indication of if games have controller support or not on the Google Play Store. That being said - most bigger games from bigger publishers do tend to support it. For instance, Secret Of Mana says nothing about controller support on the page. But if you fire it up with a controller connected, it just works. I would guess (hope) that Capcom has implemented controller support on their retro games as well. But I can't confirm myself.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

They do NOT.

Taken from an android police story about GnG...
"Capcom has dusted off 1985's famous action-platformer for an Android release. Ghosts 'N Goblins, first released in the arcade more than 30 years ago, now has an official port in the Play Store going for 99 cents. It's playable on just about any phone or tablet running Android 4.1 or above, but sadly, not with Android TV or Bluetooth controllers. As some of the game's bad guys would say: boo. " 1942 is the same way, so there's no reason to think they'd do the right thing on Commando either.

I just quick skimmed the reviews on google play from buyers, it's getting nearly universally panned for bad controls with big buttons and no game pad support by more than 1/2 the reviews. There are some 4 and 5 stars in there to keep the average up by fans who don't care, but those I guess who take their $2 purchase more seriously are angry.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh... well, touch controls should make GnG easier. :roll:

(That's really just lazy of Capcom.)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Given what I read about the controls, lazy doesn't fit, more like colossally ignorant. They put a lot of effort supposedly into making the controls for touch in how you can set it up, how it reacts, etc. Would have been no effort really throwing down some bluetooth support compared from their comments at least.

I would have bought all 3, now I doubt I ever will, or wait for the next 50% or 75% off sale if I care by then. I think 1942 should still be alright that way as other shooters are ok, but GnG would really be a hot mess.