Turbografx Controller Port: Broken?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Turbografx Controller Port: Broken?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I decided a week ago to commit to suss out what was wrong with my Turbografx. It's always been a miserable bastard about having the controller work. Looking online, it seemes controller problems are common, so I figured it was the controller and had the insides cleaned out good by a friend who's more comfortable around computer parts than me. Got it back, and it still has exactly the same problem, so now I'm left with the only option being the controller port (or perhaps the male-input on the controller, actually).

From what I can tell, the TGX's controller ports are nowhere NEAR as huggy as say a NES or a SNES one is, on mine or any. You just sorta set it in there, and if you happen to drop the controller it'll probably rip out of the system. Though aside from that, I literally need to play with one hand pressing/holding in the male-input into the female-port to actually get the controller's signals to be read by the console.

Is this some kind of controller issue, or is this a common wear-and-tear kind of situation? Help with diagnosis would be very much appreciated :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Re: Turbografx Controller Port: Broken?

Post by marurun »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I decided a week ago to commit to suss out what was wrong with my Turbografx. It's always been a miserable bastard about having the controller work. Looking online, it seemes controller problems are common, so I figured it was the controller and had the insides cleaned out good by a friend who's more comfortable around computer parts than me. Got it back, and it still has exactly the same problem, so now I'm left with the only option being the controller port (or perhaps the male-input on the controller, actually).

From what I can tell, the TGX's controller ports are nowhere NEAR as huggy as say a NES or a SNES one is, on mine or any. You just sorta set it in there, and if you happen to drop the controller it'll probably rip out of the system. Though aside from that, I literally need to play with one hand pressing/holding in the male-input into the female-port to actually get the controller's signals to be read by the console.

Is this some kind of controller issue, or is this a common wear-and-tear kind of situation? Help with diagnosis would be very much appreciated :)

That kind of connector was once an industry standard one, so if you have a friend with soldering skills you could try to attach a replacement port to the front of the unit. Thing's roomy enough inside it's not like there isn't space to work with.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Turbografx Controller Port: Broken?

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I decided a week ago to commit to suss out what was wrong with my Turbografx. It's always been a miserable bastard about having the controller work. Looking online, it seemes controller problems are common, so I figured it was the controller and had the insides cleaned out good by a friend who's more comfortable around computer parts than me. Got it back, and it still has exactly the same problem, so now I'm left with the only option being the controller port (or perhaps the male-input on the controller, actually).

That kind of connector was once an industry standard one, so if you have a friend with soldering skills you could try to attach a replacement port to the front of the unit. Thing's roomy enough inside it's not like there isn't space to work with.

Now that you mention it, I think I have seen stuff like that on a Commodore before. Perhaps if my friend has one lying around I can give him a few bucks to take a crack at it, if it comes down to that.

Also, I just realized I really should've posted this in "Technical Help." Sorry! XP
The only other specific TGX-help related thread I found was in "Other Platforms" as well, so I just assumed this was a good place for it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me