How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Post by Betagam7 »

marurun wrote:The Turbo Stick is nearly identical in performance to the NES Advantage. The best stick is probably a custom one and those aren't cheap. But here's a list of controllers to scan through in case you want to go hunting on eBay.

http://www.pc-engine.co.uk/?section=controllers

Thanks. I've never used a NES Advantage. Is it considered good? Are the joysticks all microswitched for clicky goodness?

I don't need a six button one, just the regular two button type. The ASCii one seems to be cheapest on ebay but I'm concerned about the weight giving me customs charges.

Playing Gomola Speed tonight and doing so many 360 thumbpad rotations gave me cramp! Got to be easier with a stick!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No it's just a normal non-microswitch joystick, like an oversized rocker d-pad really in a rough sense of the word. There's nothing analog about it I can remember, but I haven't opened one up in probably 8-9 years to clean. I have opened up the SNES Advantage in the last year and it's as I described so I imagine I'm remembering right.

It works very very well, but it's not microclick accurate as a real arcade stick, but for what system it's intended for and how the games are coded, not really necessary at all.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:No it's just a normal non-microswitch joystick, like an oversized rocker d-pad really in a rough sense of the word. There's nothing analog about it I can remember, but I haven't opened one up in probably 8-9 years to clean. I have opened up the SNES Advantage in the last year and it's as I described so I imagine I'm remembering right.

It works very very well, but it's not microclick accurate as a real arcade stick, but for what system it's intended for and how the games are coded, not really necessary at all.

The reason I'm against non-clicky joysticks dates all the way back to the C64 where I burned through a dozen such joysticks as anything non-microswitched had a tendency to break or wear out after a while wheras the microswitched ones always lived a long and fruitful life.

Plus that clicky sound is just inherently more satisfying even if it does annoy the hell out of the girlfriend. :lol:

Is the ASCii stick microswitched, do you know? Or are all these 2 button sticks similar to the Advantage?
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I need a new turbo stick for my system. So far I have a new turbo express that I'm going to get recapped for sound and video, 2 controllers, multi tap, the turbografx itself and the turbo booster. I also have the everdrive so I'm good to go.
Now if I can get my hands on the cd and another arcade stick then I'm solid on the tg16
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Does anyone know how to use the shop in Atomic Robo Kid Special? I know it has something to do with the little Bub and Bob style robot dinosaurs you occasionally find. I'd just been shooting them even though they seemed harmless but then instead of a credits screen after one death I got a shop where the same character sold me a bunch of upgrades.

I can't find a FAQ for this game so I don't know how I triggered it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Since I will probably never own a real one, I have decided to make my Wii U my TG-16. For the Wii U virtual console, I have:

Alien Crush
Blazing Lazers
Bonk's Adventure
Neutopia
Neutopia II
Super Star Soldier

I will probably grab Bonk's Revenge, Dungeon Master, and New Adventure Island. In Wii mode, I have Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, and Monster Lair. I will definitely grab a few more TG-16 CD games, like Ys Book, for the Wii mode since I don't foresee those getting ported to the Wii U virtual console. I am going to hold off on some of the Hu-Card games, like Ninja Spirit, however, in the hopes that Konami will port them.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Since I will probably never own a real one, I have decided to make my Wii U my TG-16. For the Wii U virtual console, I have:

Alien Crush
Blazing Lazers
Bonk's Adventure
Neutopia
Neutopia II
Super Star Soldier

I will probably grab Bonk's Revenge, Dungeon Master, and New Adventure Island. In Wii mode, I have Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, and Monster Lair. I will definitely grab a few more TG-16 CD games, like Ys Book, for the Wii mode since I don't foresee those getting ported to the Wii U virtual console. I am going to hold off on some of the Hu-Card games, like Ninja Spirit, however, in the hopes that Konami will port them.

The Wii was my entry-gate to the system and I enjoyed it so much I eventually bought a PC Engine CoreGrafx.

The Virtual Console allows you to explore the library in a way that negates the expense and compatibility issues.

This is how my VC collection to my physical collection stacks up so far.

VC downloads:

Alien Crush
Bloody Wolf
Bonk's Revenge
Cho Aniki
Dragon Spirit
Dragon's Curse
The Dynastic Hero
Gate of Thunder
Gradius 2
Legend of Hero Tonma
Neutopia
Ninja Spirit
R-Type
Soldier Blade
SplatterHouse
Super Star Soldier

Physical Hu-Cards

After Burner 2
Atomic Robo Kid Special
Barunga
Dragon Spirit
Gomola Speed
Kato-Chan & Ken-Chan
MOMOTARŌ DENSETSU
Nectaris
The NewZealand Story
Populous
R-Type 1
VALKYRIE NO DENSETSU ワルキューレの伝説

Obviously with my physical setup I'm limited to Hu-cards only wheras the VC let me explore more CD based titles, however my Wii is in another country right now so I'm happy enough hunting out bargains for my Coregrafx.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

My last Devil's Crush high score was 44 million, so I beat it by about 9 million this time.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Played Blazing Lazers today. As far as I can tell, the first six stages are just a warm up for the last three. I quit after getting a game over on the area 8 boss, but I feel like I could get through this game pretty easily with some practice.

Also, it's really awesome.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment of the game. The key to success is to stock up on golden lives.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.