LOL! List! Best atari 5200 games for your 80's den! Joking!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
flojocabron
Next-Gen

LOL! List! Best atari 5200 games for your 80's den! Joking!

Post by flojocabron »

Lets have some fun with our favorite gaming behemoth!

The one that puts the oXBOX to shame! :oops:

Lets post some love of atari 5200 and how much you love their controllers!

We can make a short list, but its not necessary.

unless the 20 or 30 of you on the internet that remember this want to put in their input!

In case you haven't noticed this is the joke thread for all those TOP lists that have come out or will come out!

Well, here's my 5200 with my games!

And here it is scolding that young whippersnapper XBOX on what size a video game console should be!

what games should be on your top XXX list?
Last edited by flojocabron on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: LOL! List! Best atari 5200 games for your 80's den! Joki

Post by flojocabron »

reserved.

for srs business. :?

just in case someone really wants to do it! :wink:

1.Ms. Pac-man
2.Berzerk
3.Tempest
4.Joust
5.Kangaroo
6.Gremlins
7.Space Penguin
8.Robotron
9.Pengo
10.Galaxian
11.Space Invaders
12.Countermeasure
13.Space Dungeon
14.Ball Blazer
15.Choplifter
16.Star Riaders
19.????
PROFIT!
Last edited by flojocabron on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

This is actually the only major Atari console I haven't owned. I was under the impression that there are basically no exclusives for it and that the arcade ports that are the best in its library are all better elsewhere.

I'd love to learn otherwise.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

dsheinem wrote:This is actually the only major Atari console I haven't owned. I was under the impression that there are basically no exclusives for it and that the arcade ports that are the best in its library are all better elsewhere.

A lot of people were impressed by the sound of the robot voices in BERZERK.

Ms. Pac-man is decent. 2600 version is unique and the 5200 one is okay too.

I like Gremlins on the 5200, I played mine a few years ago. I havent tried the 2600 port. So I cant compare them.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

also, how long before CRT pops in with that Tempest pic again?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Who else owns one of these? :lol:

I have 20 games.

I am most partial to Kangaroo, Pengo, Space Dungeon, and Countermeasure.

I've heard good things about some of the more recent homebrew/repro games like Adventure II and Tempest.

The controls are... interesting. They're perfectly fine in games like Pac-Man, but in a game where you need to cease motion and stand still they can be horrendous. I found Jungle Hunt almost unplayable and I'm able to sail through the 2600 port.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Welllllllllll ya bought my spare, so you know I own one.

However, you also know that my taste for that era is not nearly as developed as yours. As such, I can't add much about best games to this thread, having barely played it.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

flojocabron wrote:
dsheinem wrote:This is actually the only major Atari console I haven't owned. I was under the impression that there are basically no exclusives for it and that the arcade ports that are the best in its library are all better elsewhere.

A lot of people were impressed by the sound of the robot voices in BERZERK.

Ms. Pac-man is decent. 2600 version is unique and the 5200 one is okay too.

I like Gremlins on the 5200, I played mine a few years ago. I havent tried the 2600 port. So I cant compare them.

Your 5200 system looks clean, even still has the pink factory shrink wrap covering the aluminum face plates, Nice! Agree, the 5200 has the best sound chip of the first three Atari systems. 5200 Gyruss for example which has great music, really sounds clean. :D

Some of the games I like on the 5200:

Galaxian - Duel Speed sideways control, ship goes faster when stick is pushed all the way. Hit the Atari Icon Easter Egg for extra score points.

Space Invaders - Also Duel Speed. Has a unique 5200 set of Invaders scrolling across.

Space Dungeon - Exclusive to 5200 console, also twinstick control and comes with the 5200 twinstick holders.

Robotron - Also works great with the Twinstick holders. The sounds, flicker free graphics and especially the intense crazy speed are just like the Arcade.

Defender - So close to the arcade with superb sounds just as good as Robotron. A sign of how evasive you need to be, every button on the number pad is Hyperspace!

Ball Blazer - Have both the 7800 and 5200 versions. The 5200 analog sticks add a float to the hover game.

Gorf - Instant placement of ship matched to analog stick position. Imagine the quick precise movement of the game Kaboom paddles but with an analog stick sideways and up down movement of this bottom shooter. Impossibly way too fast movement of your ship, but I love it!

Choplifter - Ever play the Apple II version? The 5200 is the only console that duplicates the analog stick flight of the original. Hold the stick up slightly to maintain a hover, adds to the "collective stick" flying of the helicopter.

5200 Trakball - The only way to play the Arcade translations of Centipede, Missile Command and Atari Age Tempest with an Arcade regulation (Pool ball) sized Trakball.

The 5200 console is bigger then the Xbox and the 5200 Trakball is bigger then the NES!

Star Raiders - I rave about Atari Age Tempest a lot due to its unique long history of prototype to coded finish 30 years later as well as perfect Trakball control as a Spinner. Star Raiders is another game that really shines as THE game to get on the 5200 console. The original was on the Atari computer 400 and 800 series which the 5200 console internal hardware is based from.

Image Image

Most of my games and the 5200 console which is the uncommon 4 port <*> model (works with 2600 adapter which I also have), I owned since buying brand new when they first came to market! There are so many greats on the 5200, some games that have never been played or discovered by todays gamer.

Wikipedia List: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_5200_games
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I genuinely enjoy Joust on the 5200. It was a pretty good port for the time.
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

I like the 5200 arcade ports which are nearly always good such as the Pacman games,Joust,Millipede,Forgger,Berzerk,Robotron,Gyruss also some other games like The Dreadnaught Factor,Gremlins and of course H.E.R.O which I have never seen a bad version of on any system.