CDI Console questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BumbleChump
16-bit

CDI Console questions

Post by BumbleChump »

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a CDI system after coming across a bunch of software recently, but I'm having trouble figuring out which one to buy. (I don't have extra money to buy one yet, but I will later)

There's 400/550, GDI-1000, 210, 220, NO.IVO-V10, VE-200, 470, 490, like what on earth!? There are so many variants of CDI! And some of them have a "Digital Video Card" installed, others don't, and there's different kinds of those too?

Another thing is that I see a lot of CDIs from Europe that are way cheaper than American consoles, but I don't know if those are region free or not, if they run at slower speeds, etc.

So are there any CDI experts out there? Or a website that compiles all this stuff? I couldn't find a clear answer when I searched.

Thanks
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: CDI Console questions

Post by Jagosaurus »

There's an entire CDi community & board dedicated to the platform that will help:

http://www.cdinteractive.co.uk/forums/cdinteractive/

Some games require the digital video card (including a few bigger titles... Burn Cycle being one IIRC) & it's also needed to play the CDi movies (essentially VCDs).

Keep in mind there is a chip (time chip? IIRC) that goes out. A seller on eBay was selling refurbished systems with this chip replaced a couple years back. I'd do some research on this known issue before putting down the cash for a system running on borrowed time.

I've always wanted one for some reason. Good luck!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
BumbleChump
16-bit

Post by BumbleChump »

Awesome thank you very much! Gonna read that website up and down.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I was an owner of the thing back in the 90s when it was new, a gift for Christmas I also put some money into to grab and it was an earlier Magnavox version without the DVR (which I added later.) It will play a good deal of stuff but the DVR really makes or breaks the package with what gets left out. I would not buy one without it built in or already added by the last buyer. I don't recall the library on the whole but I do remember the games I had and most of them were pretty fun, a few though on the cheap side of things since there were a few Dragon's Lair types (including it, sequel and Space Ace) which got nasty - Escape From Cyber City being the really cruel one at least worth watching a perfect play through on youtube.

Lords of the Rising Sun, Hotel Mario, Link Faces of Evil, Mutant Rampage Bodyslam, Voyeur, Burn Cycle, Kessen, Tetris, Chaos Control are some I can really recommend.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

CDi enthusiast typically rant about The Apprentice...

but honestly looks like an average platformer to me. Likely wouldve been middle of the pack on the SNES or Genesis but a nice addition to the CDi library as an exclusive.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That game looked boring to me back when the system was alive against what you said Nintendo and Sega had in our house so I ignored it. I don't see the appeal, but I guess if you really just had a CDi and ignored them it probably would appear far better.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

BumbleChump wrote:Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a CDI system after coming across a bunch of software recently, but I'm having trouble figuring out which one to buy.

I opted for this Magnavox branded model.
At least it kinda looks like a game console. Some of the others have that type of bulky VCR look.
This one has that Digital Video Card as well.
And importantly a half decent controller. You'll know what I mean if ever you get to sample some of the CDi's other controller "options".

Some of the "decent" games for the CDi have already been mentioned.
A couple other games I'd like to add are the '7th Guest' and 'Secret Mission'.
The CDi received a superior port of the former.
If you like puzzle/adventure type games then you'll enjoy these.

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Actually that's probably the best controller the thing got, a good even or close second would be the blatant knockoff of the old four button reverseable gamepad with a switch where you can flip it over for lefties.

The system I had was a total DVD/VCR player style system with the slow motor tray that popped out the front.

I don't remember Secret Mission but the 7th Guest I'm almost positive we had that as I know we did have it and I don't think it was on the computer. I do remember it looking and sounding really amazing.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I have both of those games, Secret Mission is pretty fun, but having grown up with 7th Guest on a PC I just cannot get into it on any console :( It's really a game made for a mouse.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

KalessinDB wrote:I have both of those games, Secret Mission is pretty fun, but having grown up with 7th Guest on a PC I just cannot get into it on any console :( It's really a game made for a mouse.

IIRC it was mandatory each game developed for the CDi had to be mouse compatible (as well as work with each CDi controller).