Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played ATARI today!!!

Post by stickem »

A buddy was going to throw out his childhood 2600 yesterday and asked if I wanted it. That was my first system back in the early 80's, but I never wanted to go back to that dinosaur tbh. Since it was free, fuck it, I'll take it. Cobwebs, dirt dobbers, this thing was filthy. Even some of the games were trashed from funk and won't play. It was a vader, I had a heavy 6er as a kid. Also came with that smoked console organizer to sit in. I spent 2 hours tearing the console down, cleaning, alcholing with q-tips, I cleaned it spotless. That vader is sexy looking now. The picture was ok before cleaning, awesome afterwards. Got the paddles, 2 og joysticks like new, but I'll use my 7800 modded nes controller. I spent 2 hours messing around on some common games and to my surprise had a blast. Was going to composite mod it but dam, it looks gorgeous through RF on my 27 inch wega. I'm gonna get into collecting for this thing, its bringing back to many good memories I'd like to enjoy, and surprisingly I'm enjoying the games more than I thought I would.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Congrats! I got a couple of 2600s a couple of months ago sitting in boxes waiting for refurb and video mod. It was a bit hard to find nos switches.. I really want to try some of the homebrew that came out I didn't k ow about until last month. The uno cart is really neat.

I will shortly have a cart-modded Flashback II available.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Anapan wrote:Congrats! I got a couple of 2600s a couple of months ago sitting in boxes waiting for refurb and video mod. It was a bit hard to find nos switches.. I really want to try some of the homebrew that came out I didn't k ow about until last month. The uno cart is really neat.

I will shortly have a cart-modded Flashback II available.

i'm looking around the homebrews myself. some good looking games out there i'm going to pickup after Christmas. The one i was looking for Pac-Man 4k or 8k, seems to not be on the atariage site anymore. I don't think the console i have was used much. After the cleanup the shell and board look brand new no leaky caps or anything odd looking. plus the controllers aren't even broke in. Shit, i was playing with white sticks from the tops i abused back in the day. Probably the reason for the great picture. It sat in storage for like 25 years.

I assume these are region free? My dad was in the airforce back in the 80s, stationed outside London, and when I visited I bought shit loads of games at flea markets over there. They all played fine and I didn't have any idea games from other countries were locked out back in those days.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Playing these 2600 games on my converted nes 7800 controller makes these games control a whole lot better. No wonder I broke some many og 2600 joysticks as a kid (and a slight anger issue I'm sure), control sucks and hand hurts. The diagonal shooting in berzerk took some time to get used to but at least I dont run into dam walls with that stiff ass joystick lol.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

My dragonfire score goes up exponentially when I use a d-pad controller
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Surely the 2600 joystick felt "just fine" during its era. But yeah, I use a third party NES style controller these days.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I think Yars' Revenge is better with the actual joystick
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ordered a few homebrews from atrariage today, draconian and dragons decent. also got a svideo modded 7800, mine shit the bed, to pass through a retrotink. I'm impressed with the picture.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

stickem wrote:Ordered a few homebrews from atrariage today, draconian and dragons decent. also got a svideo modded 7800, mine shit the bed, to pass through a retrotink. I'm impressed with the picture.

Where'd you get the mod done?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
stickem wrote:Ordered a few homebrews from atrariage today, draconian and dragons decent. also got a svideo modded 7800, mine shit the bed, to pass through a retrotink. I'm impressed with the picture.

Where'd you get the mod done?

Ebay. A good lot of 7800 and 2600 games. The seller recapped and it's composite and svideo. About $190+ tax. I needed one anyway and this saved me shipping one off to have it done. And the guy did the work himself.

Looking out for a colecovision console to get a rgb mod done.