Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played an ATARI today!!!

Post by J T »

I have one of those Atari joysticks with games preloaded on it that you just plug into the RCA jack. My wife wanted to play last night, so she got into some Yars Revenge and Centipede, and I played a bit of Missile Command, Asteroids, and Pong.

I found a sweet spot on Pong, where if I just held the paddle still and held down my button, the computer opponent would always serve to the same spot, and always miss the volley back. Easiest win ever!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Wow, that's a pretty big oversight in that regard for them with programming that. :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I don't bable about it often but I'm a fan of the Jaguar. I have a decent sample size of software & I can say they would've blown me away in 1994! I own 22 of the pre-JTS merger cart titles. This accounts for right at half that library. There were about 5 or so post merger titles most Jaguar fans consider retail releases versus homebrew. So I own about 45% so of the retail releases and most of the games I want (save Iron Soldier 2, Towers II, Atari Karts, & Rayman). It's stupid expensive these days so I'll be waiting for...

SaintT over at Atari Age is currently developing a Jaguar SD cart. That will be amazing & I'll preorder it.

The Jaguar has an active homebrew community but it's been on fire lately. In addition to the releases by Orion, multiple ST ports were released on cart (Al from AA was involved), Piko is taking orders for Custodian, Xeno 2 (ST port IIRC) had a boxed licensed run & a bit back Another World had a (2014?) licensed print. Sure I missed some & I just don't have enough time to keep up honestly lol, but cool to see the console alive.

Regarding the previous discussions :)
I just DLed and tested out a26x & a7800x. These are 2600 & 7800 emulators for the original xbox. I must say, I'm pretty impressed. I had really bad luck with 2 finicky 7800 systems so I moved over to emulating for thsee systems.

Next in my list are the emus to try below, although I'm a bit concerned the emus for the 800 & ST will have me virtualLy mounting disks, installing programs, etc. I love the simplicity of dropping ROMS in an emu folder and firing up the xbox. Pretty excited to test some 5200, XL, XE titles.

oXbox emulators to try out soon:
AtariXLBox
AtariXLBox is a Atari 800/5200/130/320/XL/XE

WinSTonX
WinSTon is an Atari ST Emulator

MednafenX-Lynx
This is an Atari Lynx emulator for the Xbox ported from mednafen.

Edit: the Jaguar #s above are cartridge only, not J-CD... & bad math lol
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Jagosaurus wrote:So I own about 47% or so of the retail releases and most of the games I want (save Iron Soldier 2, Towers II, Atari Karts, & Rayman).

I own those two I've highlighted.

If you're after Atari Karts for the game-play alone, you're not missing much. Really.

JAG Rayman is a beautiful looking game. Difficulty level a bit unforgiving but I still enjoyed it.

I was fortunate to get those years ago as carts with manual included in the bundle when I bought the console quite cheaply.
A little while after that I completed both of them with box and insert from 'myatari' on eBay.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thierry Henry wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:So I own about 47% or so of the retail releases and most of the games I want (save Iron Soldier 2, Towers II, Atari Karts, & Rayman).

I own those two I've highlighted.

If you're after Atari Karts for the game-play alone, you're not missing much. Really.

JAG Rayman is a beautiful looking game. Difficulty level a bit unforgiving but I still enjoyed it.

I was fortunate to get those years ago as carts with manual included in the bundle when I bought the console quite cheaply.
A little while after that I completed both of them with box and insert from 'myatari' on eBay.

Nice finds there! I want Atari Karts as more of a novelty. I have Rayman on PS1 so I'm not in a huge rush to get it on Jag, but I'd definitely like it have the original version in cart form (although I expect it to be one of those I never pay up for). The Jaguar outputs a really clean composite signal (sure S vid is even better) so I imagine Rayman looks great.

No joke, Towers II & IS2 still get reprinted today by Telegames today in small quantities. If I want to pony up the $100-120 for them, I could grab them new.

These are 2 of those 5 late Jag cart releases classified as retail releases by most Jag collectors I mentioned earlier (bc it does look like Atari got paid $1.50 royalties per game sold). Those 5: Towers 2, Zero 5, Breakout 2000, Iron Soldier 2 and Worms.

World Tour Racing falls into that weird, post merger, pre death/homebrew area if you're looking a J-CD as well.

So yeah, I own 22 of the 49 cart games. So 45%. My math was a little off above :P (will edit). While I really enjoy collecting for the Jag, I'll be waiting on the SD cart rather than spending the dough to complete the set ($300 vs $1400+ by my estimate).
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Jagosaurus wrote:The Jaguar outputs a really clean composite signal (sure S vid is even better) so I imagine Rayman looks great.

It's S-Video that I'm using.

I was thinking of going the RGB route, but not sure how much/if any of an improvement I'd see.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thierry Henry wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:The Jaguar outputs a really clean composite signal (sure S vid is even better) so I imagine Rayman looks great.

I was thinking of going the RGB route, but not sure how much/if any of an improvement I'd see.

I hear the Jag Scart signal is beautiful. I assume the Cat box VGA is RGB but good luck finding one :/

---

With the oXbox a7800x emu being really solid. I've been tossing around the idea of trying every 7800 game released. To date, I've probably played 15 or so.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Jagosaurus wrote:
Thierry Henry wrote:

I hear the Jag Scart signal is beautiful. I assume the Cat box VGA is RGB but good luck finding one :/

Or just head over to evilbay and grab a Jag RGB enabled cable from there.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I haven't ever seen a Jaguar through RGB, but I use S-video with mine, and it looks pretty great.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@TH, I don't own a Framemeister so nothing to funnel that RGB signal through.

@Elkin, The Jag's composite signal is VERY clean. The Jaguar & the Dreamcast have nice clean video out with composite, although I know s vid, SCART, & VGA are nice upgrades for them, at least the base is nice.

Here's a photo of the ICD cat box. I'd have to look it up but IIRC it's VGA output for the older 9 pin 15 KHZ monitors only. Thing is sexy. S video, composite also present along with the link cable port for network Jag DOOM :)

Via AA:
"CatBox by ICD

The CatBox is a much sought after piece of hardware for Jaguar fans. Unfortunately ICD is no longer producing the CatBox, so your only means of obtaining one is from someone who already has one. The CatBox is a nifty little peripheral that has quite a few useful ports:
Composite and S-Video Jacks
RGB Monitor port
Stereo/Mono Line-Out Audio Jacks
Two Powered Headphone Jacks with Volume Control
RS232 and RJ11 CatNet communication ports
DSP-through connector"