State of Android gaming 2014

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

State of Android gaming 2014

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I'm sure we're all aware that majority of Android games are awful, and even the good ones are inferior to the proper games on more traditional gaming platforms. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't play a truly excellent game because of that generalization.

So, I'm creating a different kind of smartphone games thread.

Only games as good as the best 3DS, PSP, and Vita games will be listed.
No emulators, inferior ports, visual novels or games you personally wouldn't play on another platform.

So, aside from those omissions, anything will be accepted.

We're experienced gamers with good taste. We can have the best Android games thread on the internet. It will be the only one worth looking at.

The list will begin in the next post:

Game Title
    Game Type
    Android Exclusive/Not Exclusive
    Comments
    Recommended by:
    ---
    Game Title
    Game Type

etc, etc
Last edited by Valkyrie-Favor on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: State of Android gaming 2014

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Avadon: The Black Fortress
    CRPG
    Not Exclusive
    Comments: Neverwinter-style CRPG with huge environments, grid-based combat, and lots of writing.
    Recommended by: Valkyrie-Favor

Caesar III
    City-Building
    Not Exclusive
    Comments: PC classic runs via winulator, a port of some windows APIs to Android. I'm making an exception to the emulators rule because the experience is in no way degraded.

Cytus
    Rhythm
    Not Exclusive
    Comments: Touch and slide to electronica, J-rock, and Vocaloid tracks. Starts easy but gets somewhat complex later on.

Danmaku Death
    Shmup
    Android Exclusive
    Comments: Boss rush bullet hell. Lots of ship sprites to choose from, adjustable difficulty levels, pretty patterns.
    Recommended by: TSTR

rymdkapsel
    Build+defend space stations
    Not Exclusive
    Comments: Strikingly elegant design. Often called "refreshing" because it mostly lacks superfluous rules. The slow pace and sparse presentation might put you off, but give it a try.

Worms 2 Armageddon
    Turn-based team artillery
    Not Exclusive
    Comments: Worms is pretty well suited to the touch screen after all.
Last edited by Valkyrie-Favor on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

reserved
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Caesar III added.

No one else has any suggestions?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Danmaku Death
Shmup
Android Exclusive
Comments: Boss rush bullet hell. Lots of ship sprites to choose from, adjustable difficulty levels, pretty patterns.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

TSTR wrote:Danmaku Death
Shmup
Android Exclusive

I find Shmup hard enough with a arcade stick, I imagine it is a pain in the ass with touch?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Shmups are way easier with a touch screen.

That said, Danmaku Death is very difficult if you have a shitty phone :lol:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

emwearz wrote:I find Shmup hard enough with a arcade stick, I imagine it is a pain in the ass with touch?

Playing the Android port of Blazing Star, well..... :lol: At least DotEmu tried to make it easier with multiple control options.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Danmaku Death is basically reduced to bullet-dodging, since your ship auto-fires. The best touchscreen shmups that I've seen function this way, with like an extra tap on the screen for bomb or whatever.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I have always found touch shmups to be cumbersome, but I'll give danmaku death a try.

Recently I ordered a USB OTG cable, which should allow me to use a keyboard, pad, or proper USB arcade stick on my tab. Do you know if danmaku death has controller support? I think it would be useful to note that in the thread.