Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

Post by fastbilly1 »

Time to take the topic down another spiral.

Many many years ago, I was at a scout camp and one of the older kids had a board game that many of us wanted to play. This was not common, anything past a deck of cards was usually "contraband" (this was the late 80s, so way before Magic). He was an older kid from another state but there were always a couple guys leaning over this small board nodding and chatting like they were planning DDay. By the end of the week I finally got a chance to play this game and I lost in like five turns. But the memory of that game stayed with me. This game was none other than Microgame #1 Ogre:

I have commented on this several time in the past so forgive me if you have heard this already. Ogre is a small wargame that is the essence of other wargames without the fluff and record keeping, making it a fast playing tactical experience for two players. One player is the Ogre, a large robotic tank with a variety of cannons, anti personnel guns, and missiles.
The other player is combined forces trying to stop the Ogre:
Those images are from the minis version that came out in the 90s.

There are various versions of the Ogre - from Mk1 to Mk7 aswell as variants, including Cthulhu, and many different types of combined arms. The basic game is an Ogre Mk3, 20 points of infantry, and 12 points of armor (howitzers cost 2). The goal of the defender is to stop the Ogre. At its heart, it is a game of redrover. The ogre is pushing through a web of defenders, or driving over them, to get at the Control Point on the other side. Once the initial game is over, gametime goes down significantly. Last night I taught my wife how to play it, even though I had forgotten many elements, and we still finished a Mk3 game in under 30 minutes.

Ogre was so well received that it has had many reprints and expansions. The Ground Effect Vehicles (hovercraft that act like helicopters) were so popular that they were the namesake for a sequel - GEV. GEV takes the redrover style gameplay and makes it into scenarios and campaigns featuring battles between the PanEuropean Alliance and Combine (aka Americas). Gone is the crater map and we were presented with grasslands, forest, and rivers. Ogre is a fantastic game, but it is the training tool to get you ready for GEV. GEV was expanded a couple times, adding maps, other units, and other Ogres, making it infinitely replayable. But then, out of no where, the property stagnated. For most of the 2000s, Ogre was dead as SJG focused on Munchkin and Gurps.

In 2012 Steve Jackson did something no one expected and started a kickstarter for Ogre Designers Edition. THE definitive version of the Ogre verse, and the largest production boardgame of all time. How big you ask? Big enough to fill a conference table:
Big enough that all of Munchkin at the time fit inside the box:
And big enough that I can sit in the box cross legged.

But that version is expensive, $200ish, and bulky. So most people will opt for the Pocket Edition or the new Ogre 6th edition that is coming out this year. While they do not have the extras from GEV and the other expansions, you will still get a good bit of fun out of the box.

Now I am a longtime wargamer. I grew up playing Panzer Leader and ASL aswell as minis games like Warhammer and Little Wars. But if anyone ever ask me for a suggestion for a wargame, Ogre is my first choice. It is an elegant game that plays well, scales well to a large size, and can be played until the end of time. I highly recommend anyone who likes strategy to give Ogre a go.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Picked up a game called Samurai Spirits yesterday, looking forward to trying it tonight. It's a coop with a samurai theme (obviously). It's a small box game too, I'm really starting to prefer this. The big box games are a pain for travel.

Anyways, while at the store Takenoko caught my wife's eye, anyone play that one? It's about a panda bear.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

strangenova wrote:Anyways, while at the store Takenoko caught my wife's eye, anyone play that one? It's about a panda bear.

Takenoko is a game where you play as Pandas eating different kinds of bamboo. It is apparently really popular and supposedly really good. I have never played it before, but there is an episode of TableTop on it, so you could watch that to see if it is interesting.

My friend and I went to a Board Game Convention last month and his birthday was recently, so we picked up a bunch of new games.

Suburbia = Imagine 90's version of SimCity and it is very much like that. Absolutely loved it.

Viceroy = If you have 'Analysis Paralysis', then this game may not be for you. There are several decisions and choices you have to make at once on your turn. However, once it clicks, the game is incredibly fun.

Race For The Galaxy: Rebel Vs. Imperium = I've played this game for years and I've been getting more into it as the years pass. Bought the 2nd expansion pack. Need to dive more into this one, but it seemed interesting.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

So after playing a few rounds of Samurai Spirits, I'm giving it a recommendation. It could just be the new factor but I think this is the best coop I've played.

The game is played out over three rounds, the round doesn't end until the Raiders are gone or all players have passed. On your turn you can draw a raider card and then you either defend or confront them. Confronting them advances your battle track, which let's you use your ki ability but it also leaves you open to penalties that the various Raiders have. Each of the seven samurai has a unique talent and ki, the talent is always active and can be shared with your teammates. Should your samurai take two wounds then they activate their animal spirit, they now have a bigger battle track and a better ki ability.

The goal of the game is to protect at least one farm and one family per round. The art is all well done, the box is small, and the components are well made. The game was challenging and we lost all matches played, always by a small margin though. I feel like after more familiarity is gained we will start to win often. The game has variations for four difficulty levels and supports 1-7 players.

Apparently this is the same guy who developed the aforementioned Takenoko, he also developed Tokaido and Seven Wonders. I loved seven wonders, this might be the first tabletop developer I follow.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Takenoko is insanely fun. I did not seem keen on it at first, but the moment I played it I was hooked.

The goal of the game is to get a certain number of points and win. To do so, you need to complete tasks that involve three different types of goals. They involve placing different colored tiles in a pattern, having a farmer grow certain colored bamboo in a certain pattern or having a panda eat a certain. number of colored bamboo.

You as a player can place tiles, move the farmer to tiles to grow bamboo or move the panda to eat bamboo.

It sound a simple, but man it is insanely fun. I can not recommend it enough! It perfectly balances strategy.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

ejamer wrote:Has anyone else been able to play Scythe?

I know I am super late to the party but a friend of mine recently got Scythe and it's expansion. I've played it 3 times now with 2 & 3 players. I enjoyed it a lot. I won 2 of the 3 games. So far Olga is my favorite player card. Gunther is my least favorite. Can't wait for the airship expansion that is coming out!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Catacombs and Castles will be in my hands in a few weeks, but for now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... -conquest/

The cheaper smaller spinoff is on kickstarter for 9 more days and already funded. Per my talking with the company, everything but the art is done. The biggest delay on their projects is usually the wood components, but those are already done and waiting for the art before they ship from China. They should make the March 2018 date without issue.

In other news, wife and I have been playing Hexagon Carroms and alot of Wings of Glory recently. My 10-14 hour work days mean after dinner I need something to compress with that is not a screen.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

The most fun I've ever had playing a board game is being slightly drunk during a game of RISK 2040 (I think its 2040.. anyway the future one). Don't know if Warhammer 40k counts as a board game or not, but I've always wanted to play the table top game.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Does anyone else play Betrayal at House on the Hill? We've been at it a year now and it's still my groups favorite game. It's crazy that it's so deep in mechanics and theme, but everyone I've ever showed it to loves it. We just introduced a new player to it tonight and by the time the haunt started he was absolutely hooked.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Second copy of Battlelore came in. I will be painting them this winter.

Catacombs and Castles comes in Friday!