PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

Post by marurun »

PC-Engine/TG-16 is probably my fave system, even over the Saturn, which is really a tough call otherwise. I owned it, the CD-ROM attachment, the super system card, and an Arcade Card. I even owned a copy of Dracula X I bought new in Japan when I spend a couple weeks there one summer in high school. Traded it all away for a Saturn rig, and while I don't regret getting the saturn and all the games that came with it, I really miss my TG-16.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

Hey I know this is an old topic but just bought on ebay a turbografx w/cd system. Wanted one since I was in my teens and saw the ads on tv and magazines, in my country this is an ultra rare console.

After looking for games to try when it arrives (will burn cd games probably) I find out about the whole system card 3 and arcade card. So
I won't be able to play much of the later released games?? Saw those cards on ebay about $30-40 jap version, read there is a need for a converter for a us system.

Already browsed pcenginefx.com for info so I know some basic things. Pcengine Duo are hard to find and from japan mostly. Anybody give me some pointers for my best solution and recommended cd games.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PC-EngineFX forums have a section on mods. There's a mod chip D-Lite installs that's basically a region mod. It'll allow you to play Japanese games on your US system. Also, D-Lite's been having some sales recently and he has some system cards available cheap if you need a Super System card or Arcade Card Pro.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

*prepares to be flogged*
Why the hell is it called the PC Engine?
marurun

Post by marurun »

There's probably no single definitive answer for that. Probably similar to the reason the Famicom was called the Famicom. Family Computer. And Super Family Computer. PC Engine was probably Personal Computer Engine or something like that. A little PC just for games. Makes more sense to me than Sony's hyped up "Emotion Engine" name for the chips in the PS2 ;)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

Ahhh, Turbo. My fav system also. Such memories! The first time I imported was to get Spriggian. I also did a lot of dealings on the old Turbo list/digest that had lot's of titles get played on my system.

Majors -=- Wedoca '22
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

thanx marurun i'm checking the info now, seems sweet. Dig the doing it myself with the pcb he sells, not as simple as modding a saturn but will give it a try. :D
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

marurun wrote:Probably similar to the reason the Famicom was called the Famicom. Family Computer. And Super Family Computer.

Yeah, those never made any sense either. :P
Also, about the Emo Engine, I think it was called that since the chip was apparently powerful enough to display different shapes and forms on the face, showing emotion.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I can draw emotion in 2D with a pencil and a sheet of paper. I don't need a funky processor chip. The name was about hype, just like most names. And what's in a name, really?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

So I found a boxed TG-16 today for $30. Is this worth it? I know next to nothing about this console.

I do know I've never seen any Hu-Card games in any of my local stores. I'd be scouring eBay for games if I bought this thing.