Tempest 2000...THIS is the great Atari Jaguar game??

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Tempest 2000...THIS is the great Atari Jaguar game??

Post by CRTGAMER »

fastbilly1 wrote:Every time this topic gets bumped I get closer to breaking down and buying Tempest, a spinner, and an svideo cable. Typhoon 2001 has held me off thus far...

Bump. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I just got Typhoon 2001 a couple of weeks ago. It looks and plays great. But are the levels supposed to be this long? They're longer than the regular Tempest!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It is the year 2014 and it is time to examine a trend. Mega bump and post incoming.

fastbilly1 wrote:The PC version has some bad bugs - like not registering your score correctly and the Bot just doing what it wants.

I have never seen the first bug, and I haven't seen how AI Droid behavior is any different from the Jaguar and Saturn versions... if it's all exclusive to that strange Interplay version, I wouldn't know. The earlier Atari one is really what you want.

Pulsar_t wrote:I believe the PC ports (DOS and Windows) had MOD(ule) as well as Redbook audio. The wiki mentions AdLib and Roland MT-32 which means MIDI was also thrown in for good measure.

It doesn't have the actual .mod files, but it really doesn't need them. The .mod were appropriately converted to MIDI, and some songs were replaced with entirely new ones, which are quite nice, and I wish I had a way to play them out of the game (they're not normal MIDI files). The CD has all the CD tracks except one of the unused ones, and the .mods are heavily limited crap versions of the CD tracks, so...

Hatta wrote:The only problem I have there is that Tempest requires a spinner to really appreciate.

Here is the only real reason why you would play the Jaguar version. I wish the PC version supported mouse control or something. I'm not sure you can just plug in a spinner, set the game to "Joystick", and have it work very well. PC spinners are strange...

RadarScope1 wrote:It's just a remake. A great one, but it's still an early 80s quarter-muncher at its core. Pretty sad when that's the flagship title for a piece of hardware. I remember when this got Game of the Month in EGM and got something like two 10s and a 9. I was about 13 or 14 and didn't understand what was so cool about the original anyway -- I was floored when I saw those scores!

The original game is relatively fair and far better designed. The "quarter muncher" here is 2000, which is a complete nightmare to take seriously due to just about every mechanic. I'm not sure even Traditional or solo Tempest Plus are very playable...

Betamax001 wrote:I've been curious about this game, but not enough to get a Jag for it. How are the Saturn and PSone versions?

Most of the previous info is wrong.

The Saturn version is almost identical to the Jaguar version sans spinner support (maybe you can make a Saturn spinner, I don't know) and has the CD soundtrack right there, which is incredible. The PC version isn't exactly a port, but it's not a bad conversion at all; see above about the music, etc. Tempest X is a somewhat different game; it's about as well-thought-out as 2000 itself is, but like 2000 its changes are interesting to study... except for the butchered soundtrack, which is eXceed 2nd REX levels of dumb.

Basically you'd want PC and X for what they are and then you'd want to choose between Jaguar or Saturn. Got to find a way to make a Saturn or even PlayStation spinner, I swear...

dsheinem wrote:Also, wouldn't the graphics/music be superior on the PS1 port (which I already have)?

Not necessarily. X uses a different graphical style from the main 2000 effort.

CRTGAMER wrote:Typhoon, a free download for PC supposedly is a remake emulating the original Jaguar version. Maybe check that one out to get an idea. It does have better graphics, however I feel the game play is similar on to the PS1 version.

Some of the graphical choices in Typhoon 2001 vaguely resemble X, but that's about it. It's a lot more like the original in terms of gameplay. And it's okay... It's certainly more refined than X, at least. I like how a lot the graphics are all new but generally try to resemble the original graphics, as well as its mouse support. I don't like how warps are even harder to deal with, and I don't entirely agree with the way the new Typhoon level pack is scripted by default.

But the real problem is that the developer kinda vanished and so the game's kinda unfinished. Strangely, his website and everything is still up... except for the Typhoon page. Kinda worried, actually. If anyone knows how to contact him, please do so.

ExedExes wrote:I just got Typhoon 2001 a couple of weeks ago. It looks and plays great. But are the levels supposed to be this long? They're longer than the regular Tempest!

Just one set of 2000's many sets of problems. All of the levels generally go on for way too long, and this game goes from very easy and essentially pointless to very hard and essentially unfair over the course of a few of the red levels... and it keeps getting worse.

Typhoon makes things slightly more bearable, but the default Typhoon level pack has the difficulty curve stretched out quite a bit because there are only four colors with 25 webs each... you don't see Pulsars until level 30, I think? Maybe I should learn how the level editor works and do something about that...
Last edited by Despatche on Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

So, are all of you Tempest fans playing TxK on the Vita?

Minter's best game yet, imo.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I really wish I had a Vita, and a Nuon for that matter. I'd like to try 3000 and TxK, I'm sure they're at least a little better than 2000.