Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Board Games: The Thread (Come say hi!)

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:00 pm

strangenova wrote:Does anyone else play Betrayal at House on the Hill? We've been at it a year now and it's still my groups favorite game. It's crazy that it's so deep in mechanics and theme, but everyone I've ever showed it to loves it. We just introduced a new player to it tonight and by the time the haunt started he was absolutely hooked.

Oh dude I play a lot of Betrayal at the House on the Hill and it's expansion. Are you aware of the new version coming out, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? Comes out in just a few days! So excited!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
strangenova wrote:Does anyone else play Betrayal at House on the Hill? We've been at it a year now and it's still my groups favorite game. It's crazy that it's so deep in mechanics and theme, but everyone I've ever showed it to loves it. We just introduced a new player to it tonight and by the time the haunt started he was absolutely hooked.

Oh dude I play a lot of Betrayal at the House on the Hill and it's expansion. Are you aware of the new version coming out, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? Comes out in just a few days! So excited!

Hey long time no response but yes I have in fact seen this Baldurs gate version. I won't be getting for two reasons
1. I doubt it's different enough to warrant purchasing it when I have to original and 2. I think the horror theme has a more wide reaching appeal, making it easier to hit the table.

I have picked up some games recently. Descent second edition, King of Tokyo + Power Up expansion, Takenoko, and Sushi Go.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 pm

I got Rising Sun about a week ago and played for the first time last night. We played with 4 players for two thirds of the game until someone had to leave. We finished up the autumn season with 3 players and agreed not to form alliances to keep it somewhat fair.

It was really fun and pretty easy to pick up. 95% of the rules are summarized on the last page of the manual. I only had to consult the rest of the manual 3 or 4 times to get clarification on a few points. Not too bad for a first playthrough.

As we were still learning, not much bribery happened which is normally encouraged. I can definitely see how you can really turn the game in your favor with a few skillfully executed bribes.

The game launched with 3 expansions which made me hesitant to buy into the base game. I was worried that it might not feel complete. However, I am happy to say that the base game plays well standalone. I may buy the expansions when they start to go on sale. I was particularly impressed with the quality and detail of the miniatures. They make the monster pack expansion and the Kami Unbound expansion even more enticing.

I give Rising Sun a solid 9 out of 10 based on one playthrough.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 pm

WE are hardcore into Catacombs and Catacombs Conquest right now. I have been making boards out of hardboard/melamine for Conquest and we play a couple of matches a night. Easily my favorite game system on the market.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm

For some reason I've never stopped by here, despite owning and enjoying many of the more complex board games like Arkham, Betrayal, Red Dragon Inn, and the like.

But I have to rep the new Binding of Isaac board game kickstarter that is going on right now. It hit its goal about 90 minutes after going live, so its a thing that will actually exist, and Edmund has yet to disappoint me.

$25 for the core game, $35 for game + expansion. Hopefully it looks as cool to some of you as it does to me :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/is ... four-souls

(And no affiliation nonsense or anything, I just love this dude and his games)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 am

Ever wanted to play a full RPG but when you saw the rulebooks you gave up? Or did you play in your younger days but now dont have the time? Well enter the second most popular game of its day The Fantasy Trip:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sj ... escription
Finally back in print after 40 years. For the price of one D&D 5th book and the dice to play the game, you get a full collection of TFT with all the bells and whistles of 70s RPGs. Like cardboard counters, d6s, and more hexes than you know what to do with. The base rules for TFT are 20 pages long and can easily last you for years of gaming. The more advance rules are obviously heavier and weigh in around 200 (160+ the specifics for a campaign). You may have heard of me mention this series in the past, mostly because another company took up the torch and made their own series off of it when TFT was stuck in licencing hell:
http://www.darkcitygames.com
We do not know the future of DCG, but they have been in talks with SJG.

Heres the skinny, it is a streamline rpg where combat is a boardgame. You can learn to run a game in an afternoon, and walk your players through it that evening. It is an ideal RPG for the modern gamer who grewup playing in epic month long campaigns of D&D but no longer have the time. In a typical RPG session (4 hours) you can easily complete a full campaign of TFT (which are standard rpg fair or setup as team based choose your own adventure books), or a converted D&D module.

If thats not good enough:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... board-game
Go Burninate
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Picked up a few games recently. The Year of the Dragon, have not had a chance to play this one, and Photosynthesis, this one I have.

This game is appealing to the eyes, it's full of these little colorful cardboard trees. Dont let the beauty full you though, this is a cutthroat strategy game about your trees getting sunlight and blocking out the neighbor trees with shade. It's like a survival of the fittest for plants. Highly recommend picking this one up.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:36 am

Yikes, this thread has been quiet this year. I've picked up a few board games since I last posted about Rising Sun. I did get the Kami expansion but I find it hard to use expansions in that game. I don't play Rising Sun very frequently because it is a pretty long game with a lot of rules. If someone is playing it for the first time, I generally don't like to use expansions and I usually have someone playing it for the first time when I bust it out. However the Kami expansion was pretty fun the one time I have used it.

I got Islebound for Christmas in 2018 and it was just ok based on the one play through that I have done. I really need to give this one another go. I played it with my wife and one other player. My wife and I don't do competitive board games well together. She just isn't a good strategic thinker and gets frustrated when I defeat her. I'm shocked we made it through this game with our marriage intact. :lol:

Res Arcana is one that I got in 2019. It is an enjoyable little card based game that reminds me a bit of Magic the Gathering but without the massive money sink. I got this one to have another quick game in my stash.

I think I got Azul sometime in 2018 and the whole family really enjoys it. There isn't any reading involved once you know the rules so even little ones can play if they can grasp the rules and some basic strategy.

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a game that I bought so I could have another game that supports a large amount of players. It can go up the 7! It also goes pretty quickly because everyone is doing stuff at the same time. Rounds move along at a good pace as a result.

I decided on a purely coop game with Forbidden Desert. There are a lot of games in this series but so far this is the only one that I have played. Man is it tough. I have only legitimately beat it one time on the lowest difficulty setting. I've beaten it a few times by artificially lowering the difficulty by not placing the initial starting sand.

Finally my most recent acquisition is Istanbul. I got the Big Box edition with all the expansions for $40 new on eBay. Considering the base game is usually $30+ on Amazon, I felt pretty good about that deal. Anyway, I am really liking this one. I think this one will become a frequent occurrence at my monthly game night.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:13 am

I played Res Arcana at a Convention this year. My friend really liked it and I'm curious to try it again. It felt a bit too restrictive and I fully agree that it is exactly like Magic. Of course, he liked Magic more than I ever did.

Azul is a perfect family game. Played it and bought it as well. Try the expansion, Stained Glass of Sintra. Different take and changes how you think about Azul.

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a combination of Between Two Cities and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Between Two Cities is another game that can support a large number of players. (By the way, try 7 Wonders with 7 People. It's INSANE!) I played Castles of Mad King Ludwig and I didn't like that it was rather mean.

Forbidden Island is the first game in the series and I played that a few times. I would say it is easier, but both are really good if you like those co-operative games.

Istanbul is AMAZING! I played that at a Convention and then bought it immediately. I really want to play it again.

For me, 2019 was all about Gloomhaven. My friend bought a copy and he absolutely adores it. I like it okay as I think it gets really repetitive after a while.

For myself, some games that I played this year that I loved:
- Sagrada (Fantastic Dice Drafting Puzzle Game)
- Milestones (Interesting Rondel Style Game with Catan Elements in it)
- Empires of Zidal (A more strategic Deck Building Game)
- Five Tribes (Such an elegant and beautiful game)
- Space Base (A Great Roll Dice and Everybody gets something game)
- Stone Age (Went straight up my favorite Worker Placement Games List)
- Roll Player (If you have ever rolled dice to create a D&D Character just for fun, this is the perfect game for you!)
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm

https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

Is HeroQuest making a comeback? The ESRB logo on that page makes me think it might be a video game or maybe it has some sort of companion app?
Return to Other Platforms