Protect your PSP and Saturn instruction manuals

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Protect your PSP and Saturn instruction manuals

Post by Raging Justice »

I don't know if all of you are aware, but PSP game manuals have a fairly good chance of getting frayed or damaged at the top and bottom. This is because PSP cases only have one tab to hold the manuals with, so they move around quite easily within the case when you're carrying them around. I'm currently opening up all of my PSP games and putting the manuals in protective bags and have already noticed some minor damage on a few of them. It's a small cosmetic thing, and some people won't care, but it's worth at least knowing about. Here's an old thread about it:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/psp-case ... ls.121994/

Now Saturn long box manuals are a bigger problem. If you leave them in the case over an extended period of time, they sort of curl up and lose that flat shape. This is just the long term effect that gravity has on them. An easy solution is to keep them outside of the cases, but that is obviously not ideal. I think it's possible to insert a flat piece of cardboard or something in the case itself to help the manual keep its shape. Read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/com ... ehind_the/

Anyway, these are things I've learned the hard way. I have a few expensive Saturn games with curled up manuals unfortunately. I don't know if I'll ever replace them as it's costly, so i may just have to live with it. Learn from my mistakes
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Protect your PSP and Saturn instruction manuals

Post by Raging Justice »

On a side note, the idea that sealed game collecting ensures a mint condition copy of the game that will stay that way forever is erroneous for some consoles. If you have long box games like the Saturn ones I mentioned, the contents of your sealed game is NOT staying in perfect condition forever. In fact, keeping it sealed ensures the exact opposite.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:Anyway, these are things I've learned the hard way. I have a few expensive Saturn games with curled up manuals unfortunately. I don't know if I'll ever replace them as it's costly, so i may just have to live with it. Learn from my mistakes

Time to read up on some preservationist techniques for un-curling paper materials. For those little Saturn manuals it shouldn't be too troublesome.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

On PSP games I noticed that the one tab that holds the manual just bends the crap out of the manual no matter what.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Yeah, I love the PSP but very little thought went into the design of those cases. It's a shame, because it's so nice that all of their games had manuals when you rarely see that today. Yet, many of those manuals that people have mostly likely have some damage or bending. I looked at some random games being sold on ebay and damaged manuals seemed to be fairly common on many of the listings that I saw. Now again, we're talking minor cosmetic damage that likely won't bother most people. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but it's still annoying that you can't have them all looking nice like they did when they left the factory. As I was going through some of my PSP games to put the manuals in protective bags (which I got from AliExpress), only one still had the manual in pristine condition and not coincidentally it was a game that was new when I originally purchased it and it's a game I never really got around to playing. So the case didn't get moved around enough for the manual to get some damage.

On a more positive note, I'm happy to know that it might be possible to unbend the manuals for my Sega Saturn games. I'm going to have to do some research into that.