Help with PS1 Game Burns - CDR, x Speed, Software, & Drive

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: Help with PS1 Game Burns - CDR, x Speed, Software, & Dri

Post by Ziggy »

The one Chinese replacement drive that I purchased off eBay for my 1001 did not work, and I gave up after that. I posted about it on this forum and was told that they just do not work, and to use a drive from a PSOne but I didn't want to do that.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:The one Chinese replacement drive that I purchased off eBay for my 1001 did not work, and I gave up after that. I posted about it on this forum and was told that they just do not work, and to use a drive from a PSOne but I didn't want to do that.

Well crap. I want to fix these guys. Going to post on PS & console repair subreddits. Will let you know if I get any good news on lasers.

Going to post a related question in flash cart/ODE thread also 8)

That said, I may pick up both a US & JPN PSOne. Looks like I can do that for under 100 bucks. Future proof my setup.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well gents... looks like I found a quality product from a US seller. It's the KSM-440BAM which is for the PSOne... BUT they include the needed ribbon cable to make it work on OG PS1 models.

KSM-440BAM Laser Lens Drive For Sony PS1 PlayStation 1 PSOne ( PS One ) - BRAND NEW from Total Console

Install YT video

At 80 bucks... it's a premium. You can tell from that packaging it's a well done, thought out product. The YT vid has very solid comments. I actually ran across this laser on a positive video a few weeks back and it lead me to an out of stock Amazon link.

I'm going to vet Total Console a bit more, but I might save my MM3 chipped console with this. Felt dang good to revive my NES earlier this year with Blinking Light Win. May have to repeat.

Add: Okay, found Total Console on Amazon. They have a 91% seller rating over the past 12 months. Not terrible, but no great.
https://www.amazon.com/sp?seller=A3BVFOU06EC1JZ
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Price is a little steep for me for what it is. An ODE is not much more, after all. Are these off the shelf parts that they're sourcing? Or are they getting them specially made? That would explain the price.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Price is a little steep for me for what it is. An ODE is not much more, after all. Are these off the shelf parts that they're sourcing? Or are they getting them specially made? That would explain the price.

They're sourcing something from Sony. Not sure if entire assembly or just lens. That wording makes me think part.

Original SONY OEM component guarantees top quality performance.

ORIGINAL SONY COMPONENT
BRAND NEW
Model: KSM-440BAM
Including a FLEX CABLE FOR SONY PLAYSTATION 1

Note: This is not like third rate trash sold by others on Ebay and elsewhere. Buy from us for top quality SONY products.

Added Amazon review link above.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So... after lots of digging and time away lol... I pretty much landed on oiling/lubricating the laser assembly tracks or the pots need adjusting. The later obviously being more involved.

I lubricated both my laser assembly tracks & it did seem to help FMV skips to an extent on retail games. This seemed to fix some ppl's issues on reddit.

I haven't done this next one yet... but major props to this guy. Resistance values on pots adjustments for what works better for retail only, CDR only, or middle ground. Most of all thanks for proving I'm not insane :lol: ... similar to the difference between my 2 systems:
https://youtu.be/-mXM2UTjDiI

Also, somehow during all my laser cleaning, track oiling, & readjusting laser during tear down/assembly... my secondary PS1 is working beautifully for US & imports.

Think I'm going to settle for emu for anything outside of games I own vs CDRs and messing with pots. I have a project in mind... more to come there... 8)

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... ill keep arguing with myself :lol:

So I finally remembered I did have some burned PS1 games I got thrown into a trade/purchase. I had completely forgot about them.

Put a disc from this pile in to prove my laser pots needing adjustments... will finally be the end of my doubts... and... BOOM... disc fired right up no issues

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So it has to somehow be the I/O on my laptop. I tried with stock disc drive and another drive another RB member verified worked for them... multiple disc images... ripped my own disc (tested in emu)... multiple CDR types (including the expensive verified ones)... multiple software... multiple speeds... nada.

So... happy my chipped PS1 will play CDRs. Means I can still pick up some JPN to English fan translation packages (Policenauts 8) )...

But baffled why my personal burning setup is jacked :roll:

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That's... really weird! So bizarre. You don't have another computer in the house to make a burn?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:That's... really weird! So bizarre. You don't have another computer in the house to make a burn?

Dude.... I know. Mind blown.

My other 2 PCs are work specific machines for me & Mrs Jago so I keep them free of... um... questionable content related to free software, ISOs, ROMs, personal HDDs, etc.

I have a stack of PS1 CDRs with multiple disc manufacturers in there... can't believe I forgot about them :). Were deep in a cabinet. Will test a few more burns to ensure it wasn't a strange coincidence but I doubt it.

Time to finally get that Policenauts fan translation package 8).

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I had a laptop once that couldn’t burn discs correctly. Honestly, I gave up on fixing it and bought a USB disc drive/burner.