Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Carts!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
marurun

Re: Its now possible to play backups by flashing Saturn Cart

Post by marurun »

Reading the text, the Save Game Manager doesn't seem to require the custom cart with SD Card support, meaning it should work on a flashed AR. But that doesn't mean the Save Game Manager does direct save. It may still require copying files around.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I know it won't support direct save, I'm just trying to figure out if it supports backup saving like the GameShark/AR to the cart's flash memory.

EDIT: The more I look around, sounds like a "no". :(
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

I'm not going to mince words. Lack of direct save is a critical issue with the AR, one people underestimate its significance.

Last I recall, flashing AR for backups removes the menu to move saves to the AR memory. Relying on Saturn's tiny volatile space is even less fun. :cry:
Last edited by theclaw on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lum fan.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

That was my understanding as well. The 1/4MB RAM feature will still work in PAR+, but the memory saves are wiped out. I thought someone was working on an update that re-enables it, but I have heard nothing.

Of course, I am a proud Rhea/Phoebe owner, so it would be absolutely pointless for me to do that to a PAR+.

I would consider flashing a Memory Card plus, just for the hell of it, but I don't use mine on principle. I keep it around in case I run across a Saturn with hopelessly stretched pins.
...just another lost soul...
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Wait a minute, I thought the guy that programs the Kai version makes a Cart with an SD card slot that supports the memory function as well as backups, region free etc.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/

If you scroll down it gets to the order form and was updated to have carts in stock as of yesterday. 68 plus shipping from japan.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

miked wrote:Wait a minute, I thought the guy that programs the Kai version makes a Cart with an SD card slot that supports the memory function as well as backups, region free etc.

http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/

If you scroll down it gets to the order form and was updated to have carts in stock as of yesterday. 68 plus shipping from japan.

Looking at that the SD cart is a better package for most games.
Though no cheats yet, or 1MB/4MB RAM.
Lum fan.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Id probably be interested in the gamers cart. anything that takes the extra ram, i don't save anyway.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you read about the Pseudo Saturn Kai, the description makes it sound like you should still be able to do saves on a flashed AR using Pseudo Saturn Kai via a save manager. Is there some text I'm missing that suggests otherwise?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I found this thread over on GBATemp, but I don't know if it reflects the current state of development.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/pseudo-satu ... up.477068/
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

im reading it that the save game function is only operative when you're getting that gamers cart even though it's on the firmware you're flashing to on your personal carts. i haven't been able to save directly and never get that option to.

"SD card related features and some other ones are available only when Gamer's Cartridge is used."