[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

MLIG put out an awesome video covering a bunch of devices aimed at backing up and restoring save files from carts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVJYdZRAXg
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That's awesome, will watch.

Did anyone mention the Terra Onion Neo Geo flash cart now supports Neo Geo CD games :shock: !?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Someone made a Wii utility to dump GBA games/saves using the GBA to gamecube link cable. Not sure if you'd want info on that for this thread not; thought I'd just throw that out there.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:Someone made a Wii utility to dump GBA games/saves using the GBA to gamecube link cable. Not sure if you'd want info on that for this thread not; thought I'd just throw that out there.

Hey, that's great! It fits in with the Retrode and like. Do you know the name of the utility?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

It's just called "GBA Link Cable dumper"

Here's the github link

I've tested the rom and save extraction functions and both worked. If I have time this evening I may write up a quick guide.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:If I have time this evening I may write up a quick guide.

That would be great!

Do you know if you can write saves back to the cart? Or just dump?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

It claims to do the following things: copy the rom/save, restore a save file, clear a save file on the cart, and back up the GBA system bios.
I have only backed up games and saves. I'll be testing the other things as I have time.

Is there some reason one would need a GBA bios? I don't think any emulator uses one (that I'm aware of).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Game ROM and save file dumper software and hardware have become a lot more plentiful, I think I'm going to spin that section off into it's own thread/guide. I think I'll spin off the repro part as well. There's just so much progress and new hardware it's really hard for me to keep up with this one thread.

opa wrote:Is there some reason one would need a GBA bios? I don't think any emulator uses one (that I'm aware of).

Not sure, but it's cool that it can do that!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Re: Bios - Yes, a lot of emulators allow it for carts that use quirks, or roms that test/access for its unused areas to test for piracy.
Neat about the dumping/restoring utility. I do back up from carts with flash linker software on old carts I have saves from before clearing and replacing batteries, but it's great the first step is user friendly and reversible without additional hardware than the plentiful gc-link cable.
I'll be donating a fully hardware modded and up-to-date Gamecube with all the necessary software and hardware for up-to S-Video 1:1 240p GBA output to this years charity auction. I'll include the new software. (sorry, no HDMI digital mod, that will be up to the winner - the donor has a digital port that I successfully tested with my official composite cable with GBI).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

The joey jr. from BennVenn allows you to copy gb/gbc roms and saves. Also, gba compatibility is supposed to be in the works as a firmware update.

https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/game-cart-to-pc-interface/products/usb-gb-c-cart-dumper-the-joey-jr?variant=12213934620775

I'm glad I bought a unit yesterday because apparently it just sold out on their site. I'll post my thoughts on the functionality when it comes in.