[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
Ziggy

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by Ziggy »

Nyukki wrote:Anyone know whether the SD2SNES already supports Super-FX games yet? I was about to re-buy Starfox for my Super Famicom last night, but I may be getting an SD2SNES in August.

You can read through his recent posts here: http://sd2snes.de/blog/

If there's any progress on implementing the Super FX enhancement chip he'll be SURE to post about it (I think he's received a lot of requests to work on it).

My suggestion is to just get the real cart regardless. Isn't it fairly cheap? Even when he does get the Super FX chip working, it might not be 100% perfect. It might be after updates. Hell, it might be better than perfect one day (for example, if there's overclocked features added). But the real cart is always gonna play the way the real cart plays.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Very useful post Ziggy - thank you.

I have a question - if I were to buy, say, the SD2SNES - the first step is downloading the latest firmware and putting on the SD card, correct?

Can your roms be sorted in folders?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You mean... Can you use folders to sort ROMs? Yes. I can see doing that if you wanna have hundreds of ROMs on the card. Like an A-M then N-Z folder, or a folder for each letter, or whatever.

Yes, you'll wanna get an SD card (obviously) then download the OS files. I haven't used the Sd2snes yet, but I'm sure it's like all the others. Download the OS file and unpack it to the root of your SD card. Then make a ROMs folder if you have to and put some games in it.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Thanks - and save files flash right to the SD card and are picked up easily by the cart? (in general with any Everdrive product)
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yes.

Though I will caution you, SD2SNES is not technically an Everdrive product. It's being assembled by Krikzz, who makes the Everdrives, and it has a subforum on his website, but officially it's not an Everdrive. Support is handled by the guy who designed it and is programming it, ikari, at http://sd2snes.de

Semantics, mostly, but occasionally it can make a difference.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Nyukki wrote:Anyone know whether the SD2SNES already supports Super-FX games yet? I was about to re-buy Starfox for my Super Famicom last night, but I may be getting an SD2SNES in August.

You can read through his recent posts here: http://sd2snes.de/blog/

If there's any progress on implementing the Super FX enhancement chip he'll be SURE to post about it (I think he's received a lot of requests to work on it).

My suggestion is to just get the real cart regardless. Isn't it fairly cheap? Even when he does get the Super FX chip working, it might not be 100% perfect. It might be after updates. Hell, it might be better than perfect one day (for example, if there's overclocked features added). But the real cart is always gonna play the way the real cart plays.

Cheers dude. Yeah, it's dirt cheap, will probs get it anyway.
Weekend shmupper
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

One last question - how do games like Tecmo Super Bowl 2014 (which is actually made into a repro so I guess it's ok) or any other hacks do with these flash carts?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just as good as they would on the repro cart.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

About the directories on the sd2snes, recent posts are about directory scanning and sorting. It seems (I have not actually had a chance to play with mine much) that the cart does a scan and makes an index that's printed on-screen, but if you use it's file delete function to remove a rom you have to re-scan your SD card. Work is being done on making real-time directory browsing possible and it's slated for the next firmware release.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

One thing to note about the Everdrives is that the ones that have Micro SD slots are very flimsy, the first Turbo Everdrive I bought the spring broke and had to send it back for a refund. I'm always nervous every time I remove the micro SD card from my Gameboy ED, feels like it is going to break at any moment. So IMO just load the entire romset on there and only take it out if you absolutely need to.