[GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
opa
128-bit

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

Post by opa »

Okay so benn venn got behind on hundreds of orders. Finally got a tracking number on my joey jr. According to their social media they may have more in stock this weekend. Hopefully I get mine in the mail sometime during next couple of weeks.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

PSIO firmware got an update a couple of days ago.
https://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum ... 175#p18175
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote:PSIO firmware got an update a couple of days ago.
https://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum ... 175#p18175

Are there any stateside sellers of this? What about full service, shipped soldered stateside?

[EDIT/ADD]: Looks like Stone Age Gamer will do the soldering mod kit with the PSIO & console included for $200 in the US:
https://stoneagegamer.com/psio-pre-modd ... ition.html

Full ordering page with multiple options:
https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/playstation/carts/

These are welcomed patches. Including game fixes:

- Fixed the intro timing of "Crash Team Racing".
- "Puzzle Bobble 3DX" fixed.
- "Gungage" fixed.
- "Image Fight (Arcade Gears)" fixed.
- "X-Multiply (Arcade Gears)" fixed.
- "Tekken 2" now has XA audio playing on all menus correctly.
- "Xenogears" fixed.
- "Tales of Destiny II" fixed.
- "Thrill Kill" fixed.
- "Tony Hawks Pro Skateboarding" XA track skipping bug fixed.
- "Transformers Transmetals" fixed.
- "Break Out" fixed.
- "Parappa the Rapper (Japanese Version)" fixed.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Nice to hear Gungage and Xenogears got fixed.
Reading further on the forum, there seems to be a slight fix being worked on ATM for an issue that was thought to be fixed in this update regarding FFVII and RE2. Might wanna wait a day or two to grab the post-update fix.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I'm not holding my breath for Final Fantasy 7. Apparently, you can go hours without any glitches, then hit a major mess out of the blue.

I may update anyways, but I doubt it's a simple fix or even something they can test or replicate easily.

It's still an amazing device, but not sure it'll ever be perfect.
Then again, who knows what disc images people are using.

Sounds like even most of the few problem games (like FF7) might be playable with strategic saves and loads. It would just suck if you were an hour into an area and lost everything due to a glitch attack.

Hope it continues to get better. Still sounds like a major update; there's always gonna be a few issues to find (anyone using OPL and other stuff in PS2 ought to be used to that though).
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:Hope it continues to get better. Still sounds like a major update; there's always gonna be a few issues to find (anyone using OPL and other stuff in PS2 ought to be used to that though).

That's a good point. What would you say... roughly 10-15% of PS2 games require a mode activated within settings to make it fully compatible in OPL. I've only have to use a mode once or twice on POPS for PS1 but I'm working with a smaller sample size. They definitely increases compatibility.

To anyone unfamiliar these modes do things varying from changing the speed at which information is accessed to disabling IGR (in game reset to menu). I had Gun freeze on me a good way into it. I panicked a little bit. Looked it up, had to turn a few modes on. Ran fine after.

Does PSIO have anything similar or 100% reliant on firmware updates system wide?

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

They just introduced K1V4 EXTDSP mode as the new default. There's only a handful of games that require a different mode from K1V1, and from early testing this one covers many more than the previous default from launch. This was supposed to fix those two games I mentioned above as well. The setting is definable per game for those that need it by including a text file along with the game image.
I'm not sure if this is similar to the modes in OPL.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote:They just introduced K1V4 EXTDSP mode as the new default. There's only a handful of games that require a different mode from K1V1, and from early testing this one covers many more than the previous default from launch. This was supposed to fix those two games I mentioned above as well. The setting is definable per game for those that need it by including a text file along with the game image.
I'm not sure if this is similar to the modes in OPL.

Ahhh. Ok. That's interesting. Will read up more on that.

For PS2 games in OPL off HDD or USB , there are 8 available modes. Before launching the game, you can set the modes and save them for that title or temporarily test:
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/app.php/page/opl_modes

Really, before playing any game, I recommend checking the compatibility list to see if any modes are needed (see 6th column):
http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl- ... ity-list-1

opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

joey jr. - works great. I've tried both GB/GBC carts. Successfully backed up roms/save data. No software needed; when you plug in your USB the game acts as a flash drive so you can copy/paste. Flashing carts is not supported and GBA compatibility is still under development. You can copy save data back to a cart but I haven't tested it yet.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Not too many PAL users here but wanted to make note of this Amiga CD 32 add on that allows you to boot games off HDD, Compact Flash, or SD (w/ adapter). ODE of sorts allowing you to go back into the Amiga library as well, as it is essentially a consolized Amiga computer.

Also acts as peripheral expansion & adds RGB. All nicely tucked into the MPEG card slot.

https://youtu.be/AtZotEIvO30

If you're lucky enough to have a Canadian NTSC unit... feel free to brag.