Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] for Flash Carts, Retrode, repros, and more!

by nightrnr Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Oh, Tempest X3 works on PSIO now!

PSIO has made a lot of compatibility improvements. It's basically at 99% at this point.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm

nightrnr wrote:Oh, Tempest X3 works on PSIO now!

PSIO has made a lot of compatibility improvements. It's basically at 99% at this point.

That's awesome to hear! Assuming the firmware just lives on the SD card & is easily updated?

Okay... so only desire all 3 methods of you're a nut case like us :lol:.

Looks like now the big draw to POPS now is no soldering & forcing resolutions over component.

Love seeing how this scene has exploded over the past 5 years!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:31 am

Jagosaurus wrote:That's awesome to hear! Assuming the firmware just lives on the SD card & is easily updated?!

More or less. There are 3 firmwares (ARM, FPGA, and the Menu), but one of them is integrated into the menu now (after the latest update).
All are updated via SD card, so easy enough.
Jagosaurus wrote:Okay... so only desire all 3 methods of you're a nut case like us :lol:.!

Well, I won't object on that :mrgreen: . But I think my 3rd option might be different than yours: leaning Xbox or PC emulation. I think I still have a couple working Playstation systems, not to mention PS2 and PS3's... but I am so far past trusting disc drives (more or less have been that way since the PS2 era, despite using the systems as intended back then). I relegate Optical Drives to testing and copying games. Everything else is digital and my games are just hard copies for collection and preservation (they'll die too, but hopefully after a long life and I'm gone).
Jagosaurus wrote:Looks like now the big draw to POPS now is no soldering & forcing resolutions over component.

Love seeing how this scene has exploded over the past 5 years!

Too right, it's been fascinating.
I'm not into the higher resolutions yet (maybe never, since I still use older TVs). I have also invested in converter boxes/upscalers such as Retrotink, OSSC, and XRGB-3. I don't use them a lot yet, but it future proofs a lot of my gaming options.
I approve of cheaper options with the PS2/software hacks, but I crave more versatility.
Really all I want now is some good SCART cables for some older systems (only have one for Genesis, which does it wonders). Otherwise, I just don't absolutely need them yet.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 am

Ummm.... guilty of the oXbox & PC emu for PS1 as well :lol:. Mrs. Jago's favorite game is the original Crash Bandicoot. I set her up playing on the modded oXbox the other night as the save states are easy to accomplish from the controller. I've only tried a few PS1 titles on there but I'm 4 for 4. Seems very solid. I was impressed.

Don't mean to turn this into an emu thread but I've been eyeing an Odroid set up (rather than a pi). Saturn looks to run decent on the current image... I digress. If I jump on that, will start a dedicated thread.

Now if we could get Panzer Dragoon Saga working on Psudeo Saturn.... 8)

Yes... exciting times. Love this thread.

miked
128-bit

by miked Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Now if we could get Panzer Dragoon Saga working on Psudeo Saturn....

PDS does work on a Pseudo Saturn cart. I fell like the compatibility list can be a little confusing of the Pseudo Saturn website. Most of the games listed in red can be fixed by running the patch utility and some are in red just because they don't correctly work with the memory card function of the Sega Gamers Cart that he sells on his website. Regardless I used the ISOs found in the description of this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1dDEKqQrs

Yes the guy is goofy and all that, but the download checked out fine and worked great. If I remember right he mentions that the color palette can sometime mess up in the main town, but only at night. I myself never ran into this issue and it doesn't break the game in anyway, the colors are just wrong. Also 90% of what you need to do there takes place during the day and you can just run to the entrance and wait till morning.

I didn't beat the game but I did get about 45 min into the 4th disc and never had any issues.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:48 am

My Life In Gaming just did a video on the PS-IO [LINK}. I think they overemphasized the incompatibility after the switcher installation. I had 3 problems out of over 100 shortlist games, and only one was not fixable by changing an option in menu. I think there's less than 10 outstanding compatibility issues from reading the forums through.
Switcher installation is pretty sketchy if you haven't scratched paint off of microscopic trace lines before, and you don't have access to a good soldering iron with temperature control. My friend broke his motherboard board and his PS-IO unit because of installation error. I was a little worried when I tried to power mine up. It all went well in my attempt - I never need to insert a disc in that system again.

Later when I get ambitious, I'll attempt installation on my PSone for a fully internal micro-mod. So-far there's only a couple of pictures and some drama over the method, but I don't doubt the success the forum member posted.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:47 am

Oh hey, I forgot to mention that you can now get yourself a flashcart for the Pokemon Mini
http://dittomini.com/
I know there were some others before, but they required j-tag and didn't have a proper plastic housing.
I haven't ordered one yet.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:31 am

So the Sd2snes now supports Super FX, SA-1 and S-DD1 in the official firmware. Mission accomplished!

But I just found out that there's a new hardware revision, and it's called the Sd2snes Pro. It has a more powerful FPGA, and there's plans to have it support new features like Super Gameboy and save states.

Also, the Retrode is now available from Stone Age Gamer! They have a couple adapters, too.

Damn, I really need to update the first post. There's just so much info I need to update at this point, it's hard to find the time.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't know if this is available only to those who purchased an Sd2snes from them or just any one, but Stone Age Gamer is offering an upgrade. Trade in your original Sd2snes and get the new Sd2snes Pro for only $99.99. That's a really good deal for anyone that was thinking of upgrading.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:57 pm

That is a solid deal.

Thanks to bmoc for posting this under news. Man... what a welcome solution to the ODE world. Working straight from cart slot.

bmoc wrote:Terra Onion has a new product up for preorder. It is an FPGA Sega CD ODE and flash cart.

Preorder and details here: https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products ... ridge.html

Doubt I will get one myself at that price but I'm glad something like this exists.

Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media