The Primer Guide to Amiga Gaming

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Krejlooc
128-bit

Re: The Primer Guide to Amiga Gaming

Post by Krejlooc »

Ivo wrote:
TheSonicRetard wrote:I would absolutely love that! This article definitely needs an editor, though, as this was written stream of conscious and is pretty much a 1st draft. I'd also need a fact checker, as some of the figures I quote comes from forum members at assembler, sega-16, etc. But yes, I would very much like for this to be an official guide.

If Nick approves, I'll collaborate with you and we will put something up :) Thanks for all your work as well, it is really a good guide.

Ivo.

Thanks! Please let me know if there is any news!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

TheSonicRetard wrote:This article definitely needs an editor, though, as this was written stream of conscious and is pretty much a 1st draft. I'd also need a fact checker, as some of the figures I quote comes from forum members at assembler, sega-16, etc. But yes, I would very much like for this to be an official guide.

Your Guide is outstanding and a killer first post! One thing nice about a Guide in the Forum vs a Publish Article is a quick easy access to update it. You can continually add to your OP as new information presents itself, even throw in Quotes and Links to further references. The Guides I post and even a lot of my Replies have numerous Edits. :oops:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

bumping this because it is fucking awesome
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

thanks for bumping this Dave... I have no idea how I missed this thread back in Feb, but OMG -- this is easily the greatest Guide-post I've seen posted on this forum. I knew NOTHING about Amiga (really, I know very little about Euro-gaming in general) and this post was just so enlightening. This really makes me want to check out some Amiga games now.

EDIT: also, @OP, I hope you don't mind but I went in and edited some of your giant pics to be smaller to neaten up the guide. :D
Flojomojo

Post by Flojomojo »

On the Amiga's 30 anniversary, I went looking for "Amiga 101" to learn more about this machine, and found this excellent article, which I love. Thanks so much for putting your thoughts together. I can already tell that I'm really going to enjoy digging into this crazy old system.

I was too young/poor/American to think much about this when it was new, and I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Emulation and software curation is off the hook crazy for this machine, especially stuff like the Amiga Magazine Rack. So much fun stuff to be discovered, and at a really neat stage in gaming history.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So, for you that don't know we turned this into a formal article here a while back
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/commodor ... ners-guide

Does anyone have any revisions?

I would also like to spin off the game section into a Games That Defined the Amiga.
Would anyone in particular like to help flesh that part out or add any games?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Perhaps include the OP Thread Link prominently bold faced right below the title at the top of the published article? This should be the norm for every published article since the original Thread has additional information in replies as well as latest edits.

The published article is very solid matching to the OP in this thread, very informative. Good idea for the link included for the Amiga Emulation article.

racketboy wrote:I would also like to spin off the game section into a Games That Defined the Amiga.
Would anyone in particular like to help flesh that part out or add any games?

Two games definitely synonymous with the Amiga (besides that King Tut image and the Boing Ball demo) are Alien Breed and Lemmings. My earlier comment of the "Oh No" in Lemmings really stood out in the game, a small sound bite along with mouse control making the game so natural inspiring future grid select games adding to the uniqueness of the original Amiga release.

Closest I came to Commodore Amiga was trying out the computer at a friend's house, it was that Lemmings game that blew me away. Now as a long time Commodore Vic20/C64 user, I can add info if you need help there.

CRTGAMER on Feb 28, 2012 wrote:Very impressive article! As a C64 user I was always jealous of the Amiga owners back in the day. Lemmings was a popular game, the "OH NO" scream when you blew them all up, unique to the Amiga back then. Glad to see you included Alien Breed in the review.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm no Amiga expert (I've never actually owned one), so I wouldn't be able to help you write the articles, but all of these games seem pretty important to cover in a defining games article:

Populous
Theme Park
Worms
Superfrog
Sensible Soccer
Lemmings
Speedball 2
Monkey Island
Cannon Fodder
Another World
Zool
James Pond
Agony
Turrican 2
Syndicate
Alien Breed
The Chaos Engine
Shadow of the Beast (series)
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Nick, if you are revising the article, one of the comments in the article has pointed out a typo:

"The Amiga 1200 was faster (featuring a 68030 32-bit CPU over a stock 68000 16-bit CPU)"
The stock chip in the 1200 was a 68020, not a 68030. Please correct that when you revise.

Alienjesus:
I mostly agree with your list, several of those were already included in the Notable Amiga games section (and I personally would not have included most of the 2d fighting games in the article). Some of the more recent Bullfrog games had their best versions in PC already so I'd probably not mention them.

alienjesus wrote:I'm no Amiga expert (I've never actually owned one), so I wouldn't be able to help you write the articles, but all of these games seem pretty important to cover in a defining games article:

Populous
Theme Park
Worms
Superfrog
Sensible Soccer
Lemmings
Speedball 2
Monkey Island
Cannon Fodder
Another World
Zool
James Pond
Agony
Turrican 2
Syndicate
Alien Breed
The Chaos Engine
Shadow of the Beast (series)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Just because they were on PC doesn't mean they aren't defining games for the Amiga! Bullfrog was practically synonymous with the system after all.