Game Cart Contact Cleaning Guide - Atari Sega Famicom NES

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Game Cart Contact Cleaning Guide - Atari Sega Famicom NE

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I have heard the mini NT is very sensitive with the pins reading. And have heard others with similar issues. Something they fixed on the Super NT.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I have heard the mini NT is very sensitive with the pins reading. And have heard others with similar issues. Something they fixed on the Super NT.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll keep it long-term. Kinda a hassle. Of course, I'll get some use out of the jailbreak ROM playing, but kinda sucks when you can't play many of your actual carts. I've been using my SuperNT for a while and, I agree it isn't as frustrating. I still needed to clean my carts, but wasn't nearly as severe.

Edit: oh hey I just looked on eBay for resale values, and not many have been listed, but sell for $1000+ Surprise to me. Turns out, Analogue sold out. Seems they aren't restocking. Maybe I should sell before too long before they come out with a revised one...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:One thing I've learned is just because it LOOKS clean doesn't mean it actually IS clean. But if you cleaned the pins on the cart a zillion times now and it's still not working perfectly, try cleaning the consoles cart slot pins now. After that, if the cart and slot pins are 100% clean (and the cart slot isn't damaged) and it still isn't working, then you're looking at another problem than dirty pins.

I haven't done the slot cleaning yet (although can a brand new system get contaminated that easily/quickly?)

But how do I know when I've done all the cleaning I can do or if I'm just beating a dead horse? I keep scrubbing but the same issues persist. Are there any visual imperfections I should look for? (especially to know which parts I should focus on cleaning more)

The pins in the pics that you posted look like they're in great condition. Me personally, I would give them 2-3 more passes (alcohol and elbow grease) before I decided the problem is elsewhere.

In this case, it seems like the problem is your cart slot, and not the game pak. Apparently there's a known annoyance with that cart slot, so I don't know if you need to clean it or if it's just wonky.