Guide Requests

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Guide Requests

Post by CRTGAMER »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:We seem to have a good number of threads pop up with questions like "How do I play these Japanese Famicom game on my American NES?"

I think a Playing Japanese Games on American Consoles guide would be great. Doesn't have to be too detailed, a brief overview of each method would be fine. I'm thinking of a format like this:

NES
1. Gyromite converter (with a pic and description to follow of course...)
2. Commercial adapters (Honeybee, etc)

SNES:
1. Tab-cutting mod
2. NakiTek Game Saver

etc....

I covered the Gyromite side with the help of other Members, there is also a Published Article.
viewtopic.php?f=52&p=307547#p307547

Not sure about SNES but fastbilly1 posted a N64 Guide, also a Published Article.
viewtopic.php?f=52&p=287400#p287400
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

banjo

Post by banjo »

how about a guide for basic electronic work? like soldering and the like.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

banjo wrote:how about a guide for basic electronic work? like soldering and the like.

Not much to soldering, just practice. Start out with two clean wires with the insulation stripped away. Use rosin core, heat the wire and melt the solder on the wire, not the solder iron tip for good penetration. Move up to soldering on an old PCB as you get good at it.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

acidbearboyUK

Post by acidbearboyUK »

Has anybody done a guide to cheat devices for psx and ps2? There seems to be loads of versions of each brand. Which have the best codes and features? Which are region locked. Which work with modded machines. Can you download and burn them to disc. Etc.
BitFaced
64-bit

Post by BitFaced »

Absolute best video outputs for every console ever. Include "top 5" best methods, mod-based output & for different regions & models. Ex. PAL SCPH-7502 PS1
MulishaSoldier929
32-bit

Post by MulishaSoldier929 »

I was surpirsed to not see a PSX "Games thats pushed the limits" guide. With as vast a library as the playstations has, it would be fun to see which games would make the cut.
Beer it go good with pizza
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Guides I have been working on:

Multi Meters: Why every retro gaming enthusiast should have one and the many things you can do with them. Will also include info on how to pick out a good budget meter, as well as my suggested budget meters.

Power Adapters: Everything you need to know about power (AC/DC) adapters. It will have the specs of as many consoles as possible, including all variations and regions. Pictures of official 1rst party adapters will be included, with the specs legible. In addition to that, a sub guide on how to easily find a power adapter for almost any console. This will include many things like is it safe to use an adapter with slightly over or under specs, plug/tip/barrel sizes, etc.

banjo wrote:how about a guide for basic electronic work? like soldering and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

No written guide will do a better job than that video. The only other advice I like to give is to buy some perforated or "project" board and some cheap components (capacitors, resistors, IC sockets, etc) to practice with. All of which can be bought at Radio Shack for cheap. Watch that video and practice, you'll be soldering through hole components like a pro in no time.

Additionally, the multi meter guide mentioned above will have lots of basic electronic work. I'm gonna try and aim more toward the crowd that doesn't know squat about such things, but that's not to say it wont also include info for the more advanced tinkerers.

BitFaced wrote:Absolute best video outputs for every console ever. Include "top 5" best methods, mod-based output & for different regions & models. Ex. PAL SCPH-7502 PS1

We actually have that guide as a thread in the forums here. IIRC, it tells you best stock option as well as best modified option.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BitFaced wrote:Absolute best video outputs for every console ever. Include "top 5" best methods, mod-based output & for different regions & models. Ex. PAL SCPH-7502 PS1

Here's the thread I was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28610
BitFaced
64-bit

Post by BitFaced »

Ziggy587 wrote:

Here's the thread I was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28610

I found about this after I made that post but thanks anyway!
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:Guides I have been working on:

Multi Meters: Why every retro gaming enthusiast should have one and the many things you can do with them. Will also include info on how to pick out a good budget meter, as well as my suggested budget meters.

I'd like to encourage you to post this guide. I have a multi meter. I know how to use it to check for an open loop / closed loop. I can tell the multi meter has a lot of functions beyond that, but I don't know how to use them.

Enlighten me.