Guide Requests

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
wa27
8-bit

Re: Guide Requests

Post by wa27 »

Power supply guide...

Just a list of each console's voltage, amperage, and a picture/measurement of the connector type. Lots of times I get consoles with no power supplies and have to go digging in my box of spares to find a similar one but I never know if the voltage is correct. It's surprisingly difficult to find power supply specs for consoles online.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

wa27 wrote:Power supply guide...

Just a list of each console's voltage, amperage, and a picture/measurement of the connector type. Lots of times I get consoles with no power supplies and have to go digging in my box of spares to find a similar one but I never know if the voltage is correct. It's surprisingly difficult to find power supply specs for consoles online.

here you go:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 59#p203859
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

i think I mentioned this before, but I'd like to see a guide on how to clean out systems and controllers like what cleaning equipment to use and how to dismantle consoles and controllers and insure a longer life for them.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

kingmohd84 wrote:i think I mentioned this before, but I'd like to see a guide on how to clean out systems and controllers like what cleaning equipment to use and how to dismantle consoles and controllers and insure a longer life for them.

I would love if Hobie-Wan made this.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

A "how to build a MAME cabinet" guide would be incredibly tits.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:A "how to build a MAME cabinet" guide would be incredibly tits.

This may help: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31695

or this: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/emulatio ... -tankstick

I used plans here (modified for my tv): http://www.arcadecab.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks for the links dish.

Being "new" here I think I missed out on some of the older guides... I'll have to go back and check them all out.

A thought I had after reading the excellent MAME tutorial: even though the site seems mostly geared towards console gamers a DOSBox tutorial would be pretty cool. Most of the ones already on the web seem to be written for people who are already tech savvy.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

I can't find the thread where someone asked for a willing person to create a SFC-only imports guide, so I'll post here, a merge would be cool though.

I've got a good list of titles to include in the article, so basically I'm going to list them and see if anyone wants to help out with some of the write ups. I don't plan on doing a write up for every single game, but a good handful. The ones in bold are games I'd like some help with. I'm going to start writing the guts of the article shortly so if you want to help let me know soon. Also if you have any games in mind that you should think be included, posting them would be helpful as well.

Console style RPGs/JRPGs
Tales of Phantasia
Live A Live
Star Ocean
Lennus II
Seiken Densetsu 3
Dragon Quest series
Dragon Slayer
Rudra no Hihou
SaGa series
DoReMi Fantasy
Albert Odyssey
Metal Max 2 and Metal Max Returns

Tactical/strategy RPGs
Super Robot Taisen series
Front Mission
Bahamut Lagoon
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Langrisser II
Fire Emblem series

Fighting
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension
Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor
Yuu Yuu Hakusho fighting games series
Kidou Butoden G-Gundam
Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen

Platformers/Action
Ganbare Goemon series
Ys series
Valis IV
Mazinger Z
Rockman & Forte
The Great Battle III and IV
Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun

Shmups
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Parodius series
Twinbee
(feels like more should be here...)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

brunoafh wrote:I can't find the thread where someone asked for a willing person to create a SFC-only imports guide, so I'll post here, a merge would be cool though.

Looks like a good start of a list. Maybe CUT and Paste over to a new Thread in the Guides section? I did this for GBA Link Games and PS2 Special Edition releases. You could name the Thread WITHOUT acronyms for clarity and Alphabetical Update the OP as the Replies come in.

Super Nintendo/Super Famicom Import Game List
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

We seem to have a good number of threads pop up with questions like "How do I play these Japanese Famicom game on my American NES?"

I think a Playing Japanese Games on American Consoles guide would be great. Doesn't have to be too detailed, a brief overview of each method would be fine. I'm thinking of a format like this:

NES
1. Gyromite converter (with a pic and description to follow of course...)
2. Commercial adapters (Honeybee, etc)

SNES:
1. Tab-cutting mod
2. NakiTek Game Saver

etc....