CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: LCD vs CRT, Best Video Inputs and Lightguns on HD

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

CRTGAMER wrote:Allright! Great Info for Guncon!

Anyone find out anything on Dreamcast Lightgun with VGA to Component Transcoder?

Nope, unfortunately I don't have a VGA transcoder, but seeing as both VGA and Component are Analog signals and the distance from your Dreamcast to the TV is only like 6 feet at max signal lag or post-processing lag from the transcoder should be nonexistent.

Also, I can't remember correctly, but I know that either Time Crisis 3 or one of the GunCon games in general ran in 480p as well. To activate progressive scan on most PS2 games (For example: Street Fighter Alpha Collection) either hold down Triangle and X as the PS2 boots all the way until the game asks you if you'd like to run in progressive scan, or simply select the option in the game's main options menu (For example: Shadow Of The Colossus) to boot the PS2 up in 480p mode.

Note that to run any GunCon games in 480p you will need component cables and the AV Adaptor mentioned in my last post.

Another cool thing is that most Guncon games also have a hidden 16:9 calibration screen which usually appears on HD 16:9 CRT's such as mine when 100hz mode is activated. Unfortunately my HD-CRT runs at 120hz by default so I can't use my GunCon on it at all.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Note that to run any GunCon games in 480p you will need component cables and the AV Adaptor mentioned in my last post.

From looking at this dongle where does the Gun Con 2 plug in?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

CRTGAMER wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Note that to run any GunCon games in 480p you will need component cables and the AV Adaptor mentioned in my last post.

From looking at this dongle where does the Gun Con 2 plug in?

All you need top do is simply plug the GunCon mixing cable into the Composite out on the AV Adaptor, plug your Component cables into the AV Multiout on pasthrough at the bottom of the connector and you're set!

Don't plug your GunCon directly into the Component cables or try to mix the signal as if you were plugging it into an SDTV as that can damage the GunCon.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I posted something about using the Guncon/2 while using S-video in my Cobra thread but this looks like a good thread to post more.

So I have a couple of Guncon 2s now but playing on a PS2 through the standard composite cable is ass. So you can get one of these:

But what about using a 3rd party multi S-video with Composite video cable?
Could you plug the S-video cable into the TV and then the Composite video into the back of the Guncon video cable and just let it hang?
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

wip3outguy7 wrote:I posted something about using the Guncon/2 while using S-video but this looks like a good thread to post more.

So I have a couple of Guncon 2s now but playing on a PS2 through the standard composite cable is ass. So you can get one of these:

But what about using a 3rd party multi S-video with Composite video cable?
Could you plug the S-video cable into the TV and then the Composite video into the back of the Guncon video cable and just let it hang?

Yes and No.

The PS2 tends to prioritize it's video signals when cables are plugged in.

For example, the AV Multiout always outputs Composite, S-Video and Component from the back of the PS2 at all times, but when running in higher resolutions such as 480p or using a dedicated high refresh rate signal such as 100hz the GunCon won't know what to do with the signal unless it's plugged into the Adaptor.
My Consoles:

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Ok. So let's say I'm using a 60hz (NTSC standard) CRT with above mentioned setup? Would the Guncon 2 figure things out?
Last edited by wip3outguy7 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

It should, but if you're pissed at how shitty the stock Sony Brand AV Cables that come in the box look on your TV then you wouldn't even want to try generics.
My Consoles:

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Whoops, took too long to edit.

My understanding was that as long as you aren't going Component the Composite and S-video signals are hosed by the PS2 at the same time. My biggest concern was which way the Guncon 2 video cable needs to go in. Does it need to go male side into the line going toward the TV? Or can it have a Composite video cable going into the female side but the male side just dangle *snicker* while the S-video goes into the TV?

Even a 3rd party S-video cable should look better than the stock, pack-in Composite. At least in my experience. The biggest issue I have had with 3rd party S-video cables is that they develop shorts after prolonged use seemingly out of nowhere.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

wip3outguy7 wrote:Whoops, took too long to edit.

My understanding was that as long as you aren't going Component the Composite and S-video signals are hosed by the PS2 at the same time. My biggest concern was which way the Guncon 2 video cable needs to go in. Does it need to go male side into the line going toward the TV? Or can it have a Composite video cable going into the female side but the male side just dangle *snicker* while the S-video goes into the TV?

Even a 3rd party S-video cable should look better than the stock, pack-in Composite. At least in my experience. The biggest issue I have had with 3rd party S-video cables is that they develop shorts after prolonged use seemingly out of nowhere.

It just needs to hang, all you need to use the GunCon is some form of 60hz Composite sync from the cable, that's it.

I'd go for the AV Adaptor and an official Sony S-Video Cable, both together will cost you about $7-$12 shipped from eBay.
My Consoles:

wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Yeah, that is probably what I will end up doing. I think I can get the Sony AV Adapter locally at Gameover for around what I would order it for.