CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
benderx
Next-Gen

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

Post by benderx »

Well today was my lucky day to find a Sony Wega Trinitron tv got it for $15. They had extra 20" wega tv lying around. Funny thing is that on back of the TV, it says property of comedy central which is really funny believe. Well it was good enough for me to game on eventhough I may have to get rid of it someday or could stop working within 2 or 3 years. thanks for the response. There is one more item that I would like to get for HDTV, but I'll wait and show. Of course I didn't find the ultimate wega Trinitron tv, mine just composite and component,... surprised it didn't have s-video, dvi, hdmi.

I wonder how Sharp Aquos tv deal with retro consoles any hidden secrets : ) . I know the movies look great on it, but not sure about old consoles. of course Aquos are pretty expensive at the moment..

One thing that does bother me is the pitch or hiss noise that comes from standard TV's make, sometimes irritating.
Last edited by benderx on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

I decided against getting the TV; I actually see quite a few Trinitons on my local Craigslist (another XBR - 32" went up for $75 just today) I have a decent enough Philips CRT with component and S-Video input, and I have yet to even get an entertainment stand to put it on yet so upgrading isn't really a priority.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

benderx wrote:Well today was my lucky day to find a Sony Wega Trinitron tv got it for $15. They had extra 20" wega tv lying around. Funny thing is that on back of the TV, it says property of comedy central which is really funny believe. Well it was a good enough for me to game on eventhough I may have to get rid of it someday or could stop working within 2 or 3 years. thanks for the response. There is one more item that I would like to get for HDTV, but I'll wait and show. Of course I didn't find the ultimate wega Trinitron tv, mine just composite and component,... surprised it didn't have s-video, dvi, hdmi.

I wonder how Sharp Aquos tv deal with retro consoles any hidden secrets : ) . I know the movies look great on it, but not sure about old consoles. of Aquos are pretty expensive at the moment..

One thing that does bother me is the pitch or hiss noise that comes from standard TV's make, sometimes irritating.

Very good price! Model number of the Trintron? That is strange it would have component and not SVideo connections. The Sharp should be okay, most CRTs are more forgiving compared to LCDs for older Consoles.

The TV should only pop at the startup for the Degauss. A continual hiss noise is not normal, unless its coming from the speakers due to bad RF reception of a TV channel. Once in a while it might creak from heat expansion of the tube.

@ sabrage - Visit your local Thrift stores, you might find a surprise.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

CRTGAMER wrote:@ sabrage - Visit your local Thrift stores, you might find a surprise.

Just did that yesterday, found some great stuff but not Trinitons.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

@crtgamer model # KV-20FS120
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

benderx wrote:@crtgamer model # KV-20FS120

Nice TV and Retro lightgun ready! :D

Still weird that SVideo is not available, yet there is Component. According to the manual the larger model in the series has SVideo. Even though you can only get 480i, I would use the Component connection on consoles that support it. Just don't select 480p on the console.

Spec sheet: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/ ... 0_mksp.pdf

Manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV20FS120.pdf
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Thank for the info CRTGamer, I do currently have 1 or 2 namco ps1 guncons somewhere. After doing some research, I found out the old models had s-video, but when the newer came out they somehow removed it unknown reasons. s-video doesn't matter just curious. Its also weird that there is tilt correction mode, but not a image correction mode... slightly off from the left side. Its good enough for now.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Peachy Gaming wrote:To hook up say a dreamcast or anything really were i can get sound from the sony tv and the surround system at the same time without buying any device. I noticed i have audio ins and outs on the receiver and the Sony KV-32HS510 but i dont have manuals.

Just hook up all the consoles and other components to the TV various inputs. Then run the audio out from the TV to the Receiver. The TV menu and on certain models, a switch in the back can enable or disable the internal speakers. I like them all on for a better sound affect. The TV menu can be set to fixed or volume control of the audio out ports. You can use the TV remote to control the volume on the receiver when its set to variable. Any audio only device that does not need the TV such as a CD Player can be directly plugged into the receiver.

Your Manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/409406522X.pdf

Peachy Gaming
24-bit

Post by Peachy Gaming »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Peachy Gaming wrote:To hook up say a dreamcast or anything really were i can get sound from the sony tv and the surround system at the same time without buying any device. I noticed i have audio ins and outs on the receiver and the Sony KV-32HS510 but i dont have manuals.

Just hook up all the consoles and other components to the TV various inputs. Then run the audio out from the TV to the Receiver. The TV menu and on certain models, a switch in the back can enable or disable the internal speakers. I like them all on for a better sound affect. The TV menu can be set to fixed or volume control of the audio out ports. You can use the TV remote to control the volume on the receiver when its set to variable. Any audio only device that does not need the TV such as a CD Player can be directly plugged into the receiver.

Your Manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/409406522X.pdf

Thanks Crt i think i had it hooked up all along after all. The thing is, I wasn't noticing it working, because unless i turned the volume all the way up on the receiver i didnt get any sound coming out of the speakers that was noticeable. The receiver and the speakers sound great when i am using the receiver inputs without using the tv at all. Could it be something to do with the psp i was using at the time of having this issue? I have the psp hooked to the tv and i have the audio coming out of the tv going into the dvd sound in on the receiver. Thanks for your help and the manual :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Peachy Gaming wrote:Thanks Crt i think i had it hooked up all along after all. The thing is, I wasn't noticing it working, because unless i turned the volume all the way up on the receiver i didnt get any sound coming out of the speakers that was noticeable. The receiver and the speakers sound great when i am using the receiver inputs without using the tv at all. Could it be something to do with the psp i was using at the time of having this issue? I have the psp hooked to the tv and i have the audio coming out of the tv going into the dvd sound in on the receiver. Thanks for your help and the manual :)

When the TV is set to Variable audio out the amp volume control has to be kicked up. You could go to the TV Menu and choose Fixed which would give a "louder" signal to the Amp. The trade off is you TV Remote will not control the Amp volume.

Take a look at page 12 and 13, looks like you can control the amp by using the Control S Input.