Favorite music/rhythm games

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ESauced
64-bit

Favorite music/rhythm games

Post by ESauced »

I love music games. Who else does? What games do you like?

I think Parappa the Rapper was the first one I played. My brother played it first (always the case with an older brother) and I watched. I was really bad at it when I tried but I enjoyed watching him play. I watched him play through Um Jammer Lammy too. Later I beat both of these and I think they’re both fantastic games. Parappa 2 is good as well.

When we got a PS2 my brother got Frequency. Again, I mostly watched him since he was basically a frequency prodigy and I found the game intimidating. I got into it a bit more after a while and when Amplitude came out I really dove in. I was thrilled when the new one came out recently but then realized how much harder the game is because I play using the shoulder buttons and the L2 and R2 on PS3 are triggers; it really dampened my enthusiasm when I started playing and couldn’t do expert past the 5th song.

Then there is Guitar Hero, which become an obsession for all 3 of the games. The first was a blast when it came out but hard to go back to once 2 came out, both because the gameplay was more refined in the sequel and because less songs were covers (although I must say the guy who sings Ozzy in Bark at the Moon is pretty spot on). I spent the most time on two and i think it is the strongest of the three. 3 was fun but they opted to throw in a ton of notes and make it really forgiving, as opposed to the precision of Guitar Hero 2. Still, I did love being able to nearly 100% Tenacious D’s “The Metal” which would have been much harder if the song had been in Gh2. I played GH2 a lot in the dorms and never lost a battle. My roommate bragged about beating my high score on a song I hadn’t played in a while once, so I picked up the guitar and promptly doubled his score. He was pretty upset (don’t worry he had it coming).

And finally, there’s Rock Band. Which is the best party game in the world. My brothers and I drank excessively and played this endlessly in the summers during college. I still own the first 3 games and the instruments for 360; I know I won’t be playing any time soon but that’s one game I won’t be giving up because I think it’ll be a blast years from now when my son is old enough to play (not with the drinking part though). I never picked up Rock Band 4 because it seemed unnecessary and i would have had to get a whole new set of instruments. I did thoroughly enjoy Rock Band Unplugged though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite music/rhythm games

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've never been too big into Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but Elite Beat Agents got me into rhythm games in general. My favorites, however, are definitely the Final Fantasy Theatrhythm games and most of all Hatsune Miku.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

I couldn't play guitar/band hero if I wanted. For whatever reason, I nearly go cross-eyed when I watch that rolling screen.

Now Rez - that one feels like a music game for white people with no rhythm (like me).
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I almost mentioned both Rez and Elite Beat Agents but my post was already getting pretty long.

I love Rez. I’m not pushing drugs or anything, but if you happen to enjoy them, play Rez; you can thank me later. I got Child of Eden dirt cheap last year but haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t ever smoke anymore though so I’m not sure it’ll be quite as fun. Anyone played it?

This is really strange but the level of Elite Beat Agents with September by Earth Wind and Fire gave me major feel-good goosebumps. I think that’s the last level; I haven’t played it in years
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Music/Rhythm games are within my top tier of game genres. I'll play any rhythm game I can get my hands on. Some of my personal favorites:

Bemani: The obvious stuff. I got into the genre via DDR, probably like many others, and still love it to this day (its been less than a week since I've been on a machine). Beatmania IIDX tends to be what I lean towards now, though, mostly due to it being less exhausting. I play in arcades when I can, but tend to stick to the 16th Empress discs on ps2, since the ps2 turntable is really solid.

Hatsune Miku: God damn I love Miku, both as a rhythm game, and just as a general concept. I've been playing the games since 2nd came out on the ps2, and have spent the last month basically just playing Future Tone, which is excellent. My wife and I are going to see her in concert later this year.

Frequency/Amplitude: These were early discoveries for me, and it was the first tiem I'd seen a game link the sounds of the song so tightly to gameplay. It gave me that "I'm making music by playing" feel, which became one of the biggest appeals of the genre to me. The more recent Amplitude release is also really fun.

DJ Max/Superbeat Xonic: Sort of my "wave two" of rhythm gaming, and got me back into the genre. My Vita was basically just a machine for these two games. Excellent music, unique input (Which, for a game lacking a unique controller, felt rare), and high difficulty. Loved both of these very much.

Jubeat, Groove Coaster, Sound Voltex: Lumped these together since they feel like the "current gen" of rhythm games, and they are really damn good. They look intimidating to play, but they are really intuitive once you get going, and their respective input devices are just a ton of fun. Groove Coaster in particular blew me away with its massive song library, insane presentation, and just overall fun feel. Sound Voltex is like a rhythm game on crack, and is a blast, and Jubeat just has a really fun controller to play on.

I know smartphone gaming is in a weird spot on a retro forum, but there are some companies putting out really good stuff there too. The previously mentioned Groove Coaster is on there, and works really well, and stuff like Deemo and VOEZ were good enough to get console ports (VOEZ in particular is really good). Cytus is a newer one that I've been having a ton of fun with too.

Okay, gotta stop rambling. Whenever rhythm games or shmups are brought up, I tend to go a little crazy :lol:

ESauced wrote: I got Child of Eden dirt cheap last year but haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t ever smoke anymore though so I’m not sure it’ll be quite as fun. Anyone played it?

If you like Rez, you need to play Child of Eden. I quite liked Rez, but I really enjoyed Child of Eden. I'm pretty sure you'll love it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Audiosurf, Crypt of the NecroDancer, and Vib Ribbon.
I love that I can play them with my own favorite tunes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ESauced wrote:I almost mentioned both Rez and Elite Beat Agents but my post was already getting pretty long.

I love Rez. I’m not pushing drugs or anything, but if you happen to enjoy them, play Rez; you can thank me later. I got Child of Eden dirt cheap last year but haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t ever smoke anymore though so I’m not sure it’ll be quite as fun. Anyone played it?

This is really strange but the level of Elite Beat Agents with September by Earth Wind and Fire gave me major feel-good goosebumps. I think that’s the last level; I haven’t played it in years

September is one of the later levels, but it's not the last one. The last one starts with Without a Fight by Hoobastank and goes into Jumpin Jack Flash by the Rolling Stones.

Child of Eden is a must play and in my opinion is superior to Rez in every way. I also liked Rez, but Child of Eden is better.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Thumper FTW
Thumper VR FTW FLAWLESS VICTORY
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

dsheinem wrote:Thumper FTW
Thumper VR FTW FLAWLESS VICTORY

I really want to play this, it looks fantastic. It also looks really intense normally, I imagine in VR it is ridiculous.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I had mixed opinions on Thumper's gameplay, but as an experience it's definitely intense and I can only imagine it leaves quite an impression in VR.