The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:When playing videogames, its logical that you would be preserving ammo and items, I like how id Software chose to make the original Doom fun by using ammo and blasting enemies mercilessly as much as possible. Honestly, I would have walked around the levels carefully using the pistol, but now that I know how developers think, I know this is how they meant for the game to be played.

I didn't play them but I am glad people are enjoying the new Doom(s). I thought they would be just selling on the brand recognition, and its going to be just a crazy mindless shooter on modern 3D steroids. Glad it did not take the Duke Nukem path.

Which difficulty setting are you playing on? Ammo management gets to be more of a concern on later levels on higher difficulties. More so DOOM II than the first game.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:When playing videogames, its logical that you would be preserving ammo and items, I like how id Software chose to make the original Doom fun by using ammo and blasting enemies mercilessly as much as possible. Honestly, I would have walked around the levels carefully using the pistol, but now that I know how developers think, I know this is how they meant for the game to be played.

I didn't play them but I am glad people are enjoying the new Doom(s). I thought they would be just selling on the brand recognition, and its going to be just a crazy mindless shooter on modern 3D steroids. Glad it did not take the Duke Nukem path.

Which difficulty setting are you playing on? Ammo management gets to be more of a concern on later levels on higher difficulties. More so DOOM II than the first game.

I am playing the standard difficulty whatever that is called on the original Doom. I always play "normal" difficulty because I feel that is how the game was meant to be played, I put it on easy on unforgiving games, and never difficult because to me that is just asking for extra challenge which is not my thing.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Id's design ethos on classic Doom was that a good Doom level is supposed to be designed to be doable on Ultra Violence from a pistol start. This often takes into account things like the berserk pack or chainsaw being used in the levels.

Doomers generally consider Ultra Violence to be the standard difficulty because it has the designer intended enemy and item placements and the lower difficulties add or remove things to make it easier and Nightmare was literally added as a joke because of complaints about UV being too easy (it's just UV placements with re-spawning and fast moving enemies so there will never be enough resources if you stay and fight).

That said play at the difficulty that's fun for you, that's what they're there for.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I would always play on the easier difficulties when I was younger. When I got back into classic DOOM when I was older, I would play mostly on Hurt Me Plenty, with basically the same reasoning as you. But in more recent years, I only play Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II on Ultra Violence. That's the only way to play them. No harm in playing an easier difficulty if it's your first go, but after you beat it you should step up the difficulty on your next playthrough until you beat it on Ultra Violence.

Final Doom, especially The Plutonium Experiment, I fucking hate playing on Ultra Violence. TNT isn't bad, but Plutonium Experiment on UV is just fucking brutal.

When SIGIL first released, my first playthrough was actually on Hurt Me Plenty. But immediately after beating it I replayed it on UV.

By the way, if you're just getting into classic DOOM then you might not know, but John Romero released SIGIL earlier this year. It's a free mega WAD for the first DOOM. And although it's an unofficial 5th episode, since it was made by Romero it's sort of an official 5th episode. You should definitely check it out after experiencing vanilla DOOM.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ziggy587 wrote:Final Doom, especially The Plutonium Experiment, I fucking hate playing on Ultra Violence. TNT isn't bad, but Plutonium Experiment on UV is just fucking brutal.

Plutonia in a nutshell: Image
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I still haven't ever beaten either episode of Final DOOM on any difficulty. I've made it pretty far in TNT a few times, but I usually get bored with it. And Plutonium usually ends up pissing me off.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I beat DOOM 64, then started playing DOOM 2016. Something about DOOM 2016 just doesn't click with me. But I completely forgot that DOOM 64 has a new episode, so I started playing that instead!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Found the Lost Levels, eh? Enjoy it, they're fun! Did you get to them via the Hectic route?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ack wrote:Found the Lost Levels, eh? Enjoy it, they're fun! Did you get to them via the Hectic route?

Oh, the Lost Levels need to be unlocked? I saw the episode selection screen in a YouTube video and thought, "Hmm, I don't remember seeing an episode selection screen when I started a new game." I figured I just forgot they were there. But I unlocked them somehow?

I don't believe I found any of the secret levels, and I didn't get any of the power ups for the unmaker. I just played all the normal levels and beat the final boss. Does that unlock The Lost Levels?
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'm honestly not sure. One of the ways to access them is to access the secret level Hectic in the first level, beat it, and gain access to the cheats menu. You can then level skip to the beginning of that campaign. That was how I accessed it...