The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Ack »

I think so. And the ambient noise really builds up the experience. Just wait until you get to the Hell levels and start hearing the distant baby sobs.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I started playing the original Doom. This game holds so well, yes the graphics suck to modern standards, but the fun factor, action, and scares are as good as they ever were. Hard to believe this was a 1993 release, my memory might fail me, but while console games were fun, PC games were lacking in comparison.

One thing that surprised me was the controls, moving forwad/back were W/S keys and strafing is A/D while looking left and right were the left/right arrow keys. Was this the original control scheme? If so, these people were geniuses ahead of their time, as its very close to the modern standard of FPS. One thing that raises questions is how did they justify using two hands for movement alone yet surprisingly it works fine when I tried it. I don't remember early FPS had strafing, I thought it just used the arrow keys for movement.

Its hard to believe this game is 2D flat. Their 3D illusion-which I forgot how they achieved-has to be the greatest trick/programming SFX ever pulled in gaming history. There is a lot of standards in FPS that this game came up with and nailed in the genre. People of this skill, given their very young age, are hard to believe gave nothing more after their Quake release, which was basically Doom in real 3D. Sometimes I hate to think that they are 1-hit-wonders.
marurun

Post by marurun »

ID Software were not 1-hit wonders. Many DOS gamers remember Commander Keen, which was a pretty big success. And Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2... Sure, a lot of sequels and similar types of games, but they were all massive successes.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

And Wolfenstein 3D and Dangerous Dave (was popular in its day).

Not to mention that the Source Engine is an advancement of GldSrc which is an advancement of the Quake engine. So many modern engines would still have code from the Quake engine it is not funny.

Calling id a one hit wonder is just funny when for over a decade every release they had was ground breaking, hardware acceleration is where it is today because of id software. When it comes to impact on the video game industry, they are up there with the greats.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Everyone else enjoying Doom Eternal as much as I am? I am maybe half way through, and I feel like the game is even better than Doom 2016. Doom:Doom II::Doom (2016):Doom Eternal.

Still waiting on my Doom 64 code from the preorder. Hoping Best Buy gets on that soon...
Ack

Post by Ack »

And once you get it, DOOM 64 is so good.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dsheinem wrote:Everyone else enjoying Doom Eternal as much as I am? I am maybe half way through, and I feel like the game is even better than Doom 2016. Doom:Doom II::Doom (2016):Doom Eternal.

Still waiting on my Doom 64 code from the preorder. Hoping Best Buy gets on that soon...

I was, but then the weekend and the game were over.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Don't have the cash to throw down on the game right now but I'm excited for when I can finally play it. Everyone I've heard from said it's better than 2016 in every way.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have been reading that it is mostly better, but there are a few gotchas that will affect whether your preference is ultimately for Eternal or 2016.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:I have been reading that it is mostly better, but there are a few gotchas that will affect whether your preference is ultimately for Eternal or 2016.

I'd agree with this statement. The game is much more about resource management; you will be chainsawing at least once per fight, and weaving in glory kills and flamethrower usage is critical.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.