The Twin Stick Shooter Thread (Geometry Wars/Super Stardust)

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

The Twin Stick Shooter Thread (Geometry Wars/Super Stardust)

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Anyone have any other recommendations for games in this sub-shooter (not shmup) genre?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Games in the Geometry Wars/Super Stardust mold

Post by emwearz »

Have you tried Resogun? It is by the same people who made Super Stardust, it is now on PS3/PS4/PSV. It has a voxel style graphics engine and the gameplay is great with a search and rescue theme behind it.

There is also Nano Assault Neo on the Wii U, very in vein of Stardust and very enjoyable to play.

Ultratron on steam, the same dudes who made Titan Attacks.

I guess it can then branch out to games like Bind of Isaac, Smash TV or any other twin stick shooter, but I think these are more in vein of what you are after.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Anyone have any other recommendations for games in this sub-shooter (not shmup) genre?

Have you played all of the games in the Super Stardust series? Geometry Wars series? There's a lot to dig into with just those: 5 games in the Stardust line and 5 in the Geometry Wars line. Each plays a little different in some way, adds new stuff, etc.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:Anyone have any other recommendations for games in this sub-shooter (not shmup) genre?

Have you played all of the games in the Super Stardust series? Geometry Wars series? There's a lot to dig into with just those: 5 games in the Stardust line and 5 in the Geometry Wars line. Each plays a little different in some way, adds new stuff, etc.

Great question.

I've played Super Stardust, Super Stardust Delta and Resogun. Outside of the (very) recent PS3 and Vita releases of Resogun, what are the other two I'm missing?

I'm book-ended on Geometry Wars but making up for that quickly. I've had the original (on the Arcade disc) from when I first got an xbox 360 and just recently got Dimensions. I grabbed another comp disc for Retro Evolved 2 and am getting the Wii/DS Galaxies games shortly. Am I missing anything outside iOS or Steam?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If you have the opportunity, go back to the originals:

Robotron 2084;
Smash TV; and
Total Carnage.

Those (along with Space Dungeon) are the original twin-stick shooters, and I still enjoy them.

I also second Nano Assault. The 3DS version looks great, iis fun while it lasts and is practically free at Gamestop right now.

Finally, you may want to check out XG Blast, which is a blatant - but nonetheless decent - Geometry Wars knock-off for the Nintendo DS.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
I've played Super Stardust, Super Stardust Delta ...what are the other two I'm missing?

There's "Super Stardust Portable" for the PSP and then these original games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Stardust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_%28video_game%29
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

I have Nano Assault Neo - sneaky good WiiU title. I don't have the physical 3DS version but I know they released Nano Assault EX for the 3DS (eShop) - which is an improved version of the physical release. I think it's less than $10 too.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:
I've played Super Stardust, Super Stardust Delta ...what are the other two I'm missing?

There's "Super Stardust Portable" for the PSP and then these original games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Stardust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_%28video_game%29

Excellent - thanks Dave.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

I'm really enjoying Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions on the PS4. Working through the campaign and having enough stars to take on the next boss has been a good and rewarding challenge. I somehow 3-starred the second boss on just my second attempt and nearly jumped off the couch (this was like 5am also) in excitement.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Wow, I didn't know about all the new ones available. Some I didn't see listed but enjoyed - all freeware PC games:

Gridwars
Quadnet (old dos game)
Echoes
Grid Assault
Mono

I think I have Geometry Wars Retro Evolved on my 360
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage