Video Pinball

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ejamer
128-bit

Re: Video Pinball

Post by ejamer »

What a great topic!

I love the Williams Pinball Collection, but don't know if it really counts since they are straight recreations of real tables.

It's was great to see Kirby's Pinball Land mentioned - lots of good memories playing that and Revenge of the Gator. Funny how few people seem to remember Revenge of the Gator now though. Maybe because it was limited to a single table and no licensed characters, instead of the more robust Kirby game?

Metroid Prime Pinball was also a great surprise. I had low expectations but was blown away by the game. Very addictive.

Has anyone else been drooling over the Marvel Pinball tables on the way?
http://www.marvelpinball.com/
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

I might also pick up the Gottlieb collection for my PS2 anyway, for reason of 'just-to-have-it'. Would it be in my better interest to go for the Wii version instead?

I like the Wii version better, just for the unique controls. I think the nudge is off compared to the Williams collction though, which "feels" right. But the PS2 game is REALLY cheap, going for $3.99 at my local Gamestop.

No ones mentioned Midnight Magic, one of my favorite 2600 games. Even though it was released in 1987, it gives me late 70's nostalgia. Pop it in, toke one up, put on some Steve Miller, and you've set your time machine for 1977.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Metroid Prime Pinball for DS is a fun little pinball game, and the mission structure of it is good fun.

Kirby's pinball land is great, but so is the other brilliant GB pinball game, Reveng of the Gator.

Both the Pokemon Pinball games are fantastic too, whether you like the series or not. I prefer the original on GBC, but the GBA one is pretty fun aswell.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Bikeage wrote:No ones mentioned Midnight Magic, one of my favorite 2600 games. Even though it was released in 1987, it gives me late 70's nostalgia. Pop it in, toke one up, put on some Steve Miller, and you've set your time machine for 1977.

Midnight Magic is a clone of Black Knight, which is of course on the Williams collection. Firepower also had a clone called Raster Blaster.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I took this thread as an opportunity to round up my pinball games - I had more than I remembered, but this thread reminded me that there are several more I want to pick up! :D

I've also had that Williams collection for the Wii and PSP at one point, but prefer it in glorious HD. I didn't find the Wii waggle compelling. I also have Zen Pinball for the PS3 and need to pick up those FX games....any other current gen pinball I'm missing?

I hated Alien Crush Returns for WiiWare as it was incredibly boring, short, and the few tables were uninspired. It did not deserve to bear the name of a true classic!

I've also have one of these since I was a wee one:

It might be a fun collecting goal to get at least one version of every pinball game released for a handheld or console. Hmmmm.....
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

NES Pinball is actually the reason I bought an e-Reader.
the King
Next-Gen

Post by the King »

J T wrote:Devil's Crush was so cool back in the day. :twisted:

If you haven't played them before, you really need to try the Pro Pinball series on PC, starting with Big Race U.S.A. They are some of the best video pinball games I have played.

I don't know how many Pro Pinball games there are, but Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey are both also available on the PSX as well.
ujnhunter
64-bit

Post by ujnhunter »

Love love love Video Game Pinball (and real pinball too)! Favorites would include:

Revenge Of The Gator (GB) - This might be my first Video Game Pinball experience!
Metroid Prime Pinball (DS) - Rumble!
Pinball FX 2 (Xbox 360) - Best video game pinball to date?
Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection (Xbox 360) - Higher res graphics and extra tables!
Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection (PSP) - turn your PSP sideways for full tables!
c0wb0y
24-bit

Post by c0wb0y »

1. The Williams Collection on the Wii is what actually made me even consider buying an actual pinball table. I now own 3. I played the 360 version a whole lot also, as they added some tables. The nudge mechanic works really well on both the Wii and 360.

2. Pokemon Pinball on the GBA is fun - the collection and evolution aspect keep me coming back. It's the only Pokemon game I own.

3. The Gottlieb Collection on the Wii - the nudge mechanic is pretty awful. You either barely nudge the table or TILT with the waggle. It was not much better on the PS2 version.

4. Pinball Quest is a recent purchase for me. It has several tables which adds value. The RPG part is interesting, but I prefer the other tables. The music is not bad either. You have the option to move the flippers to a fixed upper or lower point to keep the ball in play - kind of a neat mechanic.

5. PinballFX2 is a nice improvement in physics. The original felt like the ball was too heavy. I'm really looking forward to the Marvel tables that are scheduled for December

I also really enjoy Midnight Magic (2600), NES Pinball, Metroid Pinball (DS), Mario Pinball (GBA) and Pinball of the Dead (GBA).
Flipnic (PS2) is a very creative video pin - I've unlocked very little so far, but it has been very impressive.
The ProPinall tables are quite realistic - I agree with previous commenters.
Dream Pinball on the Wii is not terribly fun, but has a decent amount of tables.

I liked the crab/lobster guy in Peggle - how his special is claw flippers. :idea: I'd love it if Pop Cap made a video pinball game. :D
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I had always heard terrible things about Mario Pinball (GBA), but a few of you recommend it. Did I hear wrong?