Does anyone dislike involved storylines in platformers?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Does anyone dislike involved storylines in platformers?

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think that tutorials bug me more than cutscenes. I played Lost in Shadow recently. It's a cool platformer, but the tutorials are condescendingly stupid.

What's this? Press A to jump? Throw switches to make things move? How complicated! Thank goodness I sat through a twenty minute tutorial to figure this out.
Balasubbie
128-bit

Re: Does anyone dislike involved storylines in platformers?

Post by Balasubbie »

samsonlonghair wrote:I think that tutorials bug me more than cutscenes. I played Lost in Shadow recently. It's a cool platformer, but the tutorials are condescendingly stupid.

What's this? Press A to jump? Throw switches to make things move? How complicated! Thank goodness I sat through a twenty minute tutorial to figure this out.

For all its brilliance, Rayman Legends is over guilty of tutorializing its players. Regardless of how many hours are on the clock for it, these distracting prompts still pop-up to tell you how to get it done; simultaneously the best and worst means of guiding a player, initially handy and unobtrusive, but eventually cumbersome.