Are There any current generation 2.5 D games?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

Re: Are There any current generation 2.5 D games?

Post by dreamcast4ever83 »

ZeroAX wrote:
dreamcast4ever83 wrote:
I played most of those but they did not feel like traditional 2.5D games to me

....why? Also I don't understand why you brought back from the dead the previous thread, only to make a new thread for the same pretty much discussion :S

I just noticed that that thread was dead and old and then i got curious about newer 2.5D games and thought I would get you peoples advice :p
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:Then what's your definition of 2.5D games, if none of the above felt like 'em?

I know they are I was just thinking more a pandemonium kind of game where you always running one way but it weaves inwards and out. clockwork knight 2 also.

Also I guess this post might be slighly pointless but i was really curious if there were any game like those that are hidden now-a-days and this seems like the best place to ask really
brandman
32-bit

Post by brandman »

The new Rayman game is 2.5D. Rayman Legends?
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Rather odd definition of 2.5D.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

jfrost wrote:Rather odd definition of 2.5D.

I think it makes sense. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Warioland and other platformers where levels are linear and flat like in Super Mario Brothers tend to feel like classic 2D platformers even if they do have background and foreground, while the term "2.5D" seems appropriate for games like Pandemonium, Tarzan and Nights where you follow a 2D route that is curved
e.JPG
e.JPG (18.63 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

I'm not sure if this is what dreamcast4ever83 meant but that's the reason why I feel that those aforementioned games felt different - you could only move backwards and forwards and never sideways but yet still the road had curves and often levels had spirals where you asecended/descended some large obstacle (and in Night into dreams' case, you just go around the same large circle over and over again)
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Menegrothx wrote:

I think it makes sense. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Warioland and other platformers where levels are linear and flat like in Super Mario Brothers tend to feel like classic 2D platformers even if they do have background and foreground, while the term "2.5D" seems appropriate for games like Pandemonium, Tarzan and Nights where you follow a 2D route that is curved
e.JPG

I'm not sure if this is what dreamcast4ever83 meant but that's the reason why I feel that those aforementioned games felt different - you could only move backwards and forwards and never sideways but yet still the road had curves and often levels had spirals where you asecended/descended some large obstacle (and in Night into dreams' case, you just go around the same large circle over and over again)

So Sonic Generations counts then. I recall a few points where levels did this.
dreamcast4ever83
128-bit

Menegrothx wrote:

e.JPG

exactly what i was thinking. Thank you for putting it so perfectly

That's exactly what I meant
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Shadow Complex uses the 2.5D perspective in some really cool ways with enemies hanging out in the background and such.