Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Flake

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

Post by Flake »

Xeogred wrote:It definitely beats Lords of Shadows.

Lol, I actually ordered that from Amazon yesterday. It was priced in that sweet spot, less than $20. No clue about the gameplay but the sound track seems pretty epic.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Flake wrote:

Lol, I actually ordered that from Amazon yesterday. It was priced in that sweet spot, less than $20. No clue about the gameplay but the sound track seems pretty epic.

Eh, it was just LoTR-esque stuff. Nothing like good Castlevania music.

The gameplay is just pure God of War.

Good luck, lol.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Xeogred wrote:
Flake wrote:

Eh, it was just LoTR-esque stuff. Nothing like good Castlevania music.

The gameplay is just pure God of War.

Good luck, lol.

It's good for what it is, though, no?
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

o.pwuaioc wrote:It's good for what it is, though, no?

I would say no. It's generic as it gets and has little to no redeeming qualities, unless someone just can't get enough GoW button masher knock-offs. I had to suffer through watching a friend play it for like 4-5 hours and it looked terrible. Played the demo myself and it failed to hold my interest for any more than 10 minutes. I kind of wanted to give it a chance when I first heard about it to be honest, but unfortunately all my skepticism and then some ended up being warranted.

(In the event you're talking about the music disregard above rant, I don't remember the music.)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It looked better than GoW games, but that's not saying much at all to me. Half the bosses are straight up Shadow of the Colossus styled stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but they didn't look nearly as fun as SoTC battles either, just really tedious and overly stretched out. I watched some of my friends play a few hours myself, don't have any desire to play it. The ending was so terribad too... holy hell. :lol:
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Xeogred wrote:It looked better than GoW games, but that's not saying much at all to me.

You must have impossibly high standards for graphics. All three GoW games look incredible, and GOW3 is a better showcase for the PS3 than even Uncharted.

I remember disregarding the 3D Castlevanias when I was first getting in to the series as the reviews led me to believe I wouldn't like them, but I didn't think I'd like old-school Castlevanias either so I'll probably give them a shot eventually.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Xeogred wrote:It looked better than GoW games, but that's not saying much at all to me.

I dunno about that. GoW is cheesy as hell but at least it has a fairly interesting shtick going on to make up for the extremely shallow gameplay and to help it stand out a bit. LoS does nothing but ride GoW's coattails and trips over it's own face every step of the way. Maybe I'm being overly critical but that segment of the game I saw turned me away from that game hard.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

mmmmm God Of War games, good times.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Lords of Shadow gets kind of interesting in the vampire chapter. You get to fight vamps in a cemetary with Patrick Stewart! Well, a guy with his voice that is :lol:

The best part is when you grab them, shove a cross into them and watch them explode!

There's also one level where you're in a building and you can remove the curtains and let in the sunlight to burn some vamps and then you have a boss fight with this vampire queen

Lords of Shadow does have its moments, but it is largely derivative. It's like Konami admitting that we don't know how to make a good, 3D Castlevania so we'll settle for shamelessly ripping off everyone else. You'd think a project with Hideo Kojima's involvement would have a bit more originality
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

sabrage wrote:

You must have impossibly high standards for graphics. All three GoW games look incredible, and GOW3 is a better showcase for the PS3 than even Uncharted.

I remember disregarding the 3D Castlevanias when I was first getting in to the series as the reviews led me to believe I wouldn't like them, but I didn't think I'd like old-school Castlevanias either so I'll probably give them a shot eventually.

I wasn't talking about graphics, lol. Just in general.

GoW ruined the action genre to me and I hate Kratos a good bit. I watched my friends play a lot of GoW3 and I'm not touching it, the game was so scripted it was ridiculous. It's also probably why I am not a huge fan of the Uncharted games or can only play them for like 30 minutes at a time. The gameplay is so barebones, I don't care how ridiculous the action segments can be a look, if the game is just a one way ticket on rails experience I'll get bored really fast.