Keith Courage

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Keith Courage

Post by alienjesus »

So I'm currently bidding on this game on the charity auction because finding any games for my turbografx in europe can be a bit of a nightmare, but I've not heard great things about it really. Any one here played it? Is it really as bad as people say? Or is it just a game that's given a bad rap for being an average to mediocre launch title game?
Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: Keith Courage

Post by Breetai »

It's not a bad game at all. In fact, there is fun to be had with it. Like you said, it has been given a bad reputation for being a very average pack-in game. They should have used Bonk or Blazing Lasers (actually, it was the pack-in for the limited EU release of the Turbo, I think) as a pack-in.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

If you enjoyed the Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure for the NES, (sans the map screens,) you'll enjoy Keith Courage..
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Played it quite a while back and I remember not liking it very much.
This is a strange game. At least that's the way I found it.
Extremely slow platformer at the beginning and then it kinda goes into a faster paced type of game. About half-way through it gets super repetitive.
As Breetai implied, it's not altogether a bad game. But in my opinion, I wouldn't recommend it.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

I didn't think it was bad at all, but then I was a kid when I got a TG16 back in the day, and I never really became much of a critic later on either...

What you have is a basic platformer, with slight adventure elements. You start off each stage as Keith, in a themed overworld area, with buildings you can enter to get healed, buy bombs, buy a better sword, etc. Then when you get to the end of that part of the stage, you enter a giant mech and battle scarier enemies than you'd fight in the overworld. This is what you're buying bombs and better swords for, and it's where you'll face off against bosses. Before you see the boss though, you fight a lot of this one specific type of enemy, which is a gun with legs. It borrows from Castlevania 2 at this point. If they drop a heart, which you may need for healing, you may gain more health. They also drop this numbered icon which, if gotten, will be how many bombs you throw out at once if you use any(they can help against bosses). of course the worse side of the adventure elements, when you're in overworld, you need to do some money farming to get the better swords, and they become more expensive the further in you get. Though there are enemies, maneki neko's(those Japanese cats-with-the-arm-raised things, that are supposed to bring in more money or more customers, depending on which arm is raised) that fall from the sky, that are usually good for it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Breetai wrote:It's not a bad game at all. In fact, there is fun to be had with it. Like you said, it has been given a bad reputation for being a very average pack-in game. They should have used Bonk or Blazing Lasers (actually, it was the pack-in for the limited EU release of the Turbo, I think) as a pack-in.

It was indeed, thats what my turbografx came with. From the sounds of it, if the price stays about right, Keith Courage is at least worth a go.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

It's, average. It's a very playable platformer, but don't go into it expecting Mario or Sonic, because you're not gonna get it.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Friggin' KC & The Alpha Zone Sunshine band. I could not have been more disappointed with KC as the pack-in when I bought the TG-16. It should have been Bonk like SMW for the SNES and to a lesser extent, Altered Beef for the Genesis but that got rancid after a week.
KC is not bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. Just a poor example of what the system really has to offer (especially including CD games).
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Gao
8-bit

Post by Gao »

alienjesus wrote:So I'm currently bidding on this game on the charity auction because finding any games for my turbografx in europe can be a bit of a nightmare, but I've not heard great things about it really. Any one here played it? Is it really as bad as people say? Or is it just a game that's given a bad rap for being an average to mediocre launch title game?

It's not terrible, but it's not really good either. It's actually based on an anime series, and it's about the quality you'd expect from an anime or movie based game. Admittedly, I haven't played it much, but I honestly never had any desire to after the hour or two played it when I first got it. I'm glad that I only spent like $1 on it.

Regarding the content, the game alternates between this mostly traditional platforming section where you largely collect money to upgrade your equipment and this other world where you enter a giant robot. The former doesn't do anything wrong in a noteworthy way, but despite bringing in some RPG elements, there isn't a anything particularly compelling about it. The latter is more visually impressive, but the level design is rather poor, with a lot of areas where you have to take leaps of faith into pits and hope you don't land on spikes. The levels in both sections are also rather repetitive.

I'm pretty sure this game would have been largely forgotten if it weren't a pack in. The combination of mediocre gameplay with the fact that the visuals really didn't show anything off made it a very poor choice of a pack in title. It can't hurt to get it if you pay very little, but this title should be a low priority on this system.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Yeah, it's not THAT old... but the question was adequately answered long ago. I'd say this counts as a thread necro. The new members I can kind of understand how they might not have looked at the dates, but D.D.D.? :lol: